• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Got a worthwhile Alton Towers story? Read for details...

Not sure if this post is in the right section of the forums, yet alone allowed but I will post it anyway and someone can remove it if not. So here goes...

I stumbled across a fan created Theme Park website tonight and found someone asking for help from fellow enthusiasts/guest/workers of Alton Towers - The site in question is Theme Park Tourist. Below is the run-down of the help he is asking for.

The bloke is wanting to put together a book of past, personal memories & stories from people that have visited the theme park, or while they may of actually worked at the park itself whether it be in the past or present. He has been wanting to put together a book for a while and had dreamed of doing it further down the line - unfortunately the bloke was diagnosed with Advanced Bowel Cancer in October 2012 and wants to get started on creating this book of all wonderful stories of Alton Towers itself. If you submit a story and he wants to use this within the book itself he will reward you with a £10 Amazon Gift card.

Below is the original post on the website:

Theme Park Tourist said:
Share your memories of visiting or working at Alton Towers, and we'll reward you with an Amazon voucher.

For many years, I have harboured an ambition to write a book about the history of Alton Towers. Not a dry, dull book that merely lists the events that have occured at the UK's most popular theme park over the past few decades, but one that really brings to life the story of a place that is very close to my heart.

In October 2012, I was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer. Suddenly, the 40-or-so years that I imagined I had to work on my Alton Towers book may have been compressed into altogether much shorter timespan. Having practiced my wordsmithing by writing an autobiography and a children's novel for my son, time is now of the essence if I'm going to achieve my ambition.

The original plan for researching the book was to conduct dozens (probably hundreds) of interviews with those who have visited or worked at the park since its opening day. Given my current situation, that's not really practical. Instead, I hope to source as many interesting anecdotes as possible from the many Alton Towers fans that I know read Theme Park Tourist and other fansites related to the park.

So, essentially, I need your help. Do you have an Alton Towers story that might be of interest to other fans of the park? Perhaps you visited it in its early days? Maybe you were involved in the construction of an iconic ride such as Nemesis? Or are you a former staff member who has some amusing memories of encounters with guests? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

As I said, time is tight. If you're interested in sharing your Alton Towers story, contact me by April 30, 2013. Provide a paragraph or two that outlines the story (or stories) that you want to share, and if it fits the bill, then I'll ask you to write a full account (of 500 words or more), or I may ask for a short phone conversation. By way of thanks, I'll then send you a £10 Amazon voucher.

Thanks for helping me to achieve one of my dreams, and to create a resource that Alton Towers fans will be able to enjoy for years to come.
(Click here to see the original post)

Now this is a wonderful thing to do for both him, you and the enthusiasts in years to come that looks at what has gone on in the past by stories from the people that have worked there or visited.

Please remember to send your stories in via this address: http://www.themeparktourist.com/contact with the subject line 'Alton Towers Story' before the 30th April 2013

Just thought I would bring this to peoples attention & wish him the best of luck getting the book created! :D

Sounds like a worthwhile project. I do fear, however, that he may struggle to get this message/request to as many people as initially hoped in under a month, which would probably mean missing out on some really good stuff, like stories from old staff members etc. Good luck though, and it's something that I'd be interested in reading if done properly and with the right content.