• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Grand National horse race

The media are too busy demonising smokers to worry about other causes.

My family won! Yayy! £214 ! :D So happy
Bets on (Aurora Encore and Teaforthree) :)

My Horse Finished,

It was good to see all the horses and jockeys came through the race, and there were no casualties this year, what annoyed me though was the owners of the winning horse saying that all the horses comming through the race was a bonus, surely, it should be a main aim to make sure all participants in the races (Human + Non-human) are protected and able to come through the race unharmed.

It's worth highlighting that jump racing takes place throughout the year, and indeed there are other races that take place at Aintree over Grand National weekend. A horse died on Friday I think it was.

Watching the race again this weekend, there is no way the fences need to be that wide. A lot of the falls come from the breakup of the fences and the horses getting entangled in the debris.

hobohippie95 said:
My Horse Finished,

It was good to see all the horses and jockeys came through the race, and there were no casualties this year, what annoyed me though was the owners of the winning horse saying that all the horses comming through the race was a bonus, surely, it should be a main aim to make sure all participants in the races (Human + Non-human) are protected and able to come through the race unharmed.

This is not aimed at you directly, but this is what I was driving on about regarding bandwagoning...you say there were no casualties this year, not sure if you're aware but two horses had to be put down throughout the weekend as a whole...just because none were injured during the national itself, it won't be covered in the news at all! This is what angers me about all the outrage regarding horse racing...

Tom said:
It's worth highlighting that jump racing takes place throughout the year, and indeed there are other races that take place at Aintree over Grand National weekend. A horse died on Friday I think it was.

Watching the race again this weekend, there is no way the fences need to be that wide. A lot of the falls come from the breakup of the fences and the horses getting entangled in the debris.

Yeah normally that's what causes the injuries, this year however they changed the structure of the centre of the fences from wood to flexible plastic...

RustyRider said:
Yeah normally that's what causes the injuries, this year however they changed the structure of the centre of the fences from wood to flexible plastic...

I know they've made changes and I welcome that, but with the fences being so breakable, all of the falls today were caused by entanglement when the fence broke up, I felt.

RustyRider said:
hobohippie95 said:
My Horse Finished,

This is not aimed at you directly, but this is what I was driving on about regarding bandwagoning...you say there were no casualties this year, not sure if you're aware but two horses had to be put down throughout the weekend as a whole...just because none were injured during the national itself, it won't be covered in the news at all! This is what angers me about all the outrage regarding horse racing...

Yes, it was reported on the news that two had died during the weekend.