• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hopi-Hari to clone Colossus but actually good

Sam

TS Member
Remember Brazillian park Hopi-Hari's plans to break the inversion record with an Intamin 12-looper? Unfortunately, those plans seem to have fallen through. Here were the original plans you may remember:

Intamin12Inversion.jpg

But in their place are (arguably) just as exciting plans! They now plan to create 'Colossus 2.0', using the same basic design but with a whole host of design improvements and upgrades. Here's a press release that roomraider on CF found:

Hopi Hari Theme Park is the first park in the world to feature the new version of 10inversion rollercoaster, representing an investment of R$ 50 million. New features include trains more comfortable for visitors, they are also more open, providing much more adrenaline. The lift is almost four times faster, reaching 20 km / h, and the curve after the increase was extinct: the fall is immediate, making the experience more exciting.

The new ride will also be about 100ft longer than Colossus, 10ft higher and 7mph faster. So a recap of those upgrades:

• Lift speed quadrupled
  • New generation trains
  • Redesigned, more exciting first drop
  • 10ft higher, 100ft longer, 7mph quicker

Here's some early construction photos from RCDB:

g90sils97vk003cra892n0.jpg

k4b2n0silsp7vk001cra89.jpg

fraiarj4vug005jd914as3.jpg

mh6892n0simt17vk003cra.jpg

dkcdrifv8002pmkgi5e1p5.jpg

n1si28lo64lng9vtg00r6q.jpg

2e0pokgi5e1h5du2fvc006.jpg

i1go74p5q9vt000r72i28l.jpg

The 12 arguably looked to have a better layout than Colossus' so it's a shame to see those plans were dropped. It's interesting to see another park go for the 10-looper layout though, and it is exciting to see how this will compare to Colossus, which is obviously a ride that can get some quite heavy criticisms from riders...

Nice to see this kind of heavy investment in a different part of the world though!

Does this park still have Thunderlooper? They certainly seem to like coasters designed originally for British parks that's for sure! This definitely looks better than Colossus - even small details like the removal of the turnaround after the lift hill will add extra excitement. I'll be interested to see the new trains though, wonder if they turn out to be a success whether they'll be added to Colossus?

If these new trains are a success (and there's no reason why they won't be), it does raise the hope that Thorpe might possibly order new trains for Collosucks in a few years time or so!

Those track pictures suggest its using a cable lift-hill too.

As for Thorpe getting new trains... if Merlin invest that sort of money in an old ride i will have to assume Merlin High commanded has mind altering drugs added to their morning coffee.

Dave said:
Those track pictures suggest its using a cable lift-hill too.

As for Thorpe getting new trains... if Merlin invest that sort of money in an old ride i will have to assume Merlin High commanded has mind altering drugs added to their morning coffee.

Looks great and I look forward to seeing it develop.

We need to arrange a minor accident which would be blamed on the train designs of Collarbreakus, leading them to determine they might as well upgrade them. :p

Not that I'm not glad about another Colossus clone but I'm slightly warey about a park that four months ago was found guilty for the death of a young girl on their Intamin drop tower. ???

Hopi Hari has opened a Justice League themed area along with the new Intamin looper. Looks like they've rethemed our old Thunder Looper too and it's now bright orange! :p

I haven't posted any pictures because there's simply too many to choose from! :D

The Psychoaster said:
Does this park still have Thunderlooper? They certainly seem to like coasters designed originally for British parks that's for sure!
[pedantry]Thunder Looper was not built for a British Park, it was built for King's Dominion. There were no orders for (either type of) Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops directly.[/pedantry]

A double loop? I didn't think we'd see one of those on a modern coaster, very retro. They're an element that I normally associate with the eighties.

CGM said:
A double loop? I didn't think we'd see one of those on a modern coaster, very retro. They're an element that I normally associate with the eighties.

Double loop? Where did you get that from? Unless I've missed something, this ride will have the same ten inversions as Colossucks...

Sam said:
CGM said:

Double loop? Where did you get that from? Unless I've missed something, this ride will have the same ten inversions as Colossucks...

My mistake, in the process of looking it up on RCDB, I confused it with Journey to the Stars which is another variation on a Colossus clone opening next year at Jinling Happy world. It's pretty much the same layout, the only real difference is a second loop instead of the airtime hill pushing the inversion count up to 11.

But yes...this one looks good too.

Well that's a shame. The air time hill is the only good part of Colossus. :p

Re: Re: Hopi-Hari to clone Colossus but actually good

Poison Tom 96 said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Well that's a shame. The air time hill is the only good part of Colossus. :p
Colossus has a good part?

Yup, the end.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

I like Colossus, at least when I don't have to wait long for it. For the most part it's a fast and intense ride with a layout that flows quite well. Unfortunately, it suffers from daft control system programming, rolling stock seemingly designed for a non-human species and, worst of all, a finale that for many riders undoes the good work done by the layout up to the penultimate bend. It also hasn't been helped by being built where it is and looked after poorly for a decade.

Personally I don't understand why a park would buy a Colossus clone these days. If I were a park owner, Intamin would need to make quite a few changes to make me even consider one. That 4+1 inline roll finale would have to go for starters, replaced by a twisty section containing one inline roll in each direction between some of the curves. As Intamin don't seem to be capable of making comfortable OTSRs I'd want nice open trains with easy to lift lap bars. I'd then want the ride programmed so that:

• The air gates can open once the restraints are unlocked, even if they haven't been raised.
  • Trains can be dispatched to the lift hill when the other one's still out on track. So long as the lift hill stops the train if it's about to crest the hill before the other's on the brake run, I can't see that as a safety risk.

It's good to see the trains are going to be different, and as the concept art suggests lap bars I'd love to see Colossus get a pair of them in future. The lift hill speed increase seems a bit odd though; Colossus' chain lift hill is pretty quick, so I don't see much point in replacing it with a cable unless it's easier to maintain.

Dave, I like your idea about reworking all the in-line rolls at the end. For me, the element is pretty pointless from a riders perspective, only coming into its own from an off-ride visual viewpoint.

If they replaced the OTSRs with lapbars as you suggest, I'd like to see the ending radically changed into an all-out airtime grab, with a series of four or five small airtime hills like at the end of EGF.

1:23 in:

http://youtu.be/XQapnKEBRew?t=1m23s

Cheese said:
I like Colossus, at least when I don't have to wait long for it. For the most part it's a fast and intense ride with a layout that flows quite well. Unfortunately, it suffers from daft control system programming, rolling stock seemingly designed for a non-human species and, worst of all, a finale that for many riders undoes the good work done by the layout up to the penultimate bend. It also hasn't been helped by being built where it is and looked after poorly for a decade.

Personally I don't understand why a park would buy a Colossus clone these days. If I were a park owner, Intamin would need to make quite a few changes to make me even consider one. That 4+1 inline roll finale would have to go for starters, replaced by a twisty section containing one inline roll in each direction between some of the curves. As Intamin don't seem to be capable of making comfortable OTSRs I'd want nice open trains with easy to lift lap bars. I'd then want the ride programmed so that:

• The air gates can open once the restraints are unlocked, even if they haven't been raised.
  • Trains can be dispatched to the lift hill when the other one's still out on track. So long as the lift hill stops the train if it's about to crest the hill before the other's on the brake run, I can't see that as a safety risk.

It's good to see the trains are going to be different, and as the concept art suggests lap bars I'd love to see Colossus get a pair of them in future. The lift hill speed increase seems a bit odd though; Colossus' chain lift hill is pretty quick, so I don't see much point in replacing it with a cable unless it's easier to maintain.

I have to agree but I would also want the lift hill crest redesigning.....when Colossus drags its chain, it can't be doing it any good.