• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

I got a new job and work made a counter offer!

STEJENT

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
This is not a bragging post. I suppose I’m looking for reassurance and some advice.

I applied for a job in September, had the interview via teams and got amazing feedback and a job offer. Which I accepted. This job gave me hybrid working and better pay. The only downside is that 2 days a week we’re in the office. And these 2 days a week would take my mileage from 25 miles per week (to and from work) to over 125 miles per week.

When I told work my boss was very upset. I work for a local authority and have been here for 4 years. So the best terms and conditions and next year will be 5 years so an extra week annual leave.
My manager asked “is there anything I can do that would make you reconsider?”
This has never happened to me before and made me feel quite good about myself and my self worth.
I told them what the new job offers.
This being a local authority, it’s not very easy to get more anything without a job evaluation.
My manager really pushed this to HR and on Friday I got offered an 11% pay increase.

After considering it over the weekend I accepted it and have contacted the new employer and apologised and stated that I won’t be able to start the new job.
They have emailed and asked if I’m free for a call.
I’m sure they’re going to ask why and if pushing the start date might help, but what else could they say?

If you haven’t told them the reason I guess that’s why they want to see what’s made you change your decision. Who knows, maybe they want you that much that they will offer you more once they find out why.

Congratulations either way though, 11% is fantastic. I’m also employed by a local authority so I am slightly jealous 🤣

Last edited:
They might want to just know why, they might have a wheelbarrow full of cash. Because I do a job that seemingly few want to do for various reasons, I've been at the centre of a few bidding wars. The nature of it means that things like working from home, cushy days off, guaranteed work locations etc cannot be offered so it usually boils down to money, benefits and culture. What I've learnt from that is to never agree to nudge nudge wink wink promises. If it's not contracted then it's little more than hot air.

Always take the call and hear them out. You never know what might be on offer. You could be in such demand that the cheque book comes out when you describe your travelling issues. If not, then at least you declined the offer on good terms and haven't burnt your bridges for the future. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain here, sounds like you're in a win win situation.

So I called them back after a few hours deliberations and ended up telling them I still wanted the job.
As soon as I sent the email I was regretting the opportunity not taken.
Although the council offered me a bit more, the reasons I had been looking for a new job in the first place were still present and the benefits of hybrid working were not.
I now have the embarrassing task of rescinding my retraction of my notice 😂