• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

I have been building

Jem8472

TS Member
I saw an idea for something to replace this cheap book case that I got from Argos a few years ago. It was an idea for making a book case out of old wooden crates. I had a look online and could not really find anything cheap and the size I wanted. So I decided to try and make some!

I have never really done any real wood work before just the normal basic stuff at school. But I am good with my hands and usually pick things up pretty quickly.

I had a look and found a couple of website that show how to make crates easily and simply, no special joints or anything fancy.

So I came up with a plan and found where I could get some wood from at a reasonable price and had a bash at making them.
Thankfully at my mum and dads they have some tools that bad it a lot easier, a pillar drill and a nice table circular saw. Makes it lovely and easy to cut through a load of planks of wood at once.

But here are some pictures of how they have turned out. I need to make at least another 4 maybe 8 to replace the book case but its a good start.

IMAG0307.jpg

My wood all chopped up

IMAG0308.jpg

the first proper finished crate, I did do a prototype before this on which helped a lot. Made sure we did not make the same mistakes.

PA151358.jpg

After the crates have been stained a nice dark wood colour.

PA151360.jpg

PA151361.jpg

Its been good fun, more time consuming than I thought but mainly because being in a flat there is not much I can do in here.

I am looking forward to making some more. :D

Nice Floridabook Jem, I have a couple in that series. ;) I really need a nice way of displaying my many Disney and other themepark books, they are currently hidden away in my bedroom. I am also quite good at woodwork, yes I know I'm a girl but I took resistant materials, I have made a model car out of wood that I will get a picture up soon.

Nice work :) Mind if I ask how study they are? Most shelves have some sort of crossbracing... I wouldn't want you to lean on them and send them dominoing off to the side :p

I am thinking of putting backs on them, but it would be a lot of effort and not sure it will make them better. Just handy for carrying stuff!

But they are pretty sturdy. Not sure if they could put up with my 11 stone leaning on them but they certainly are not likely to collapse under the weight of books or anything that will get put on them.

Nice work dude!

Nicely placed Orlando book too ha-ha!

And also, is that a DeLorean I see before me?

Now you have mastered woodwork, your next project is time travel!

Step to it mate ;D - I fancy another go on ThunderLooper in it's original position!

I might give time travel a bash at some point, cant be that hard.

Close up there are some drip marks from the wood stain but as I have done each one I have got slightly better. It does still add to the old feel.

They go well with a lot of the other dark coloured wood furniture we have.

Well this topic is raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaather old!

Mainly because of the rubbish weather I have not wanted to spend a few hours in the cold making more of these crates. Also due to living in a flat I don't have anywhere to make these at home so I have been doing them at my mum and dads instead, also they have power tools there :D

I have made 4 more crates and finished the bookcase. I just need to do a second coat of wood stain on the 4 crates to darken the wood up a bit more (top 4) but here are some photos of the finished bookcase.

This is what it has replaced. A cheap Argos bookcase.