• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

If a woodie were to be built...

Which is your preferred manufacturer for a possible AT woodie?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intamin

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • The Gravity Group (GG)

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC)

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Great Coasters International (GCI)

Votes: 27 44.3%

• Total voters
He does have a point of the public not getting it with the thought of them being unsafe, old and boring. Though knowing Merlin and their marketing malarky, they can always and brag on about having the most ultimate and most modern Woodie of it's type in the world or some crap like that. :p

That to me seems to be the only way we're going to get one, then who knows, if it is successful then it may change the public's opinion of them...maybe.

I'd have thought the fear of woodies could be easily capitalised on if they wanted to use a wooden coaster for a thrill ride. Shame they don't look at things from another perspective! :p

But anyway, people still ride the woodies at the Pleasure Beach so if everyone thought they were death traps, why do the old examples still do well?

People ride them, but I don't think they really do wonders for the public perception... They're not really seen as particularly exciting thrill machines and they do look a bit rickety due to their age. It's a perception people have that wooden coasters belong in seaside amusement parks from 60 years ago rather than as modern day thrill rides. It's great that the BPB woodies are still going strong but they are also the things skewing public opinion away from wood in this country.

Perhaps the Pleasure Beach could be the first to purchase a new one to sit alongside their classics then and give people more confidence (? :p ) in them? Or perhaps Merlin would be better with an RMC topper track as there's enough metal in them to make them look 'safe' enough. They're actually cutting edge machines so grouping them in with PB's woodies is a bit ridiculous now! :(

I know they are a world away from the coasters at BPB, and enthusiasts as a group know that, but the point Varney is making is that the British public don't... Which is disappointing.

Surely a certain woodie in Germany proves not only can they ride great and look great, but they really draw in a crows if done properly!

It just seems that everywhere but the UK understand that wood doesn't mean ancient olde worlde rides. If Outlaw Run only cost $10,000,000 (£6,000,000) then cost cannot be the reason for not getting one. Especially when you factor in their reinforced structure and high quality build (track and trains). I think if they built one, people would ride it and come around to them. To most people it'd be just another huge, awesome roller coaster to enjoy.

What are the height restrictions like on the car park behind Katanga Canyon? That area would be ideal for a Woodie, and could utilise the field car parks. The dd coach car park could easily accommodate some landscaping and quarrying action

GCI do a 65ft model. Low enough to pass most planning laws and if you could get in on one of the carparks, construction costs and the amount of trees needed to be removed would be minimal.