• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is Atlantica SuperSplash a coaster credit?

Atlantica; cred or no cred?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Atlantica SuperSplash is one of Europa's 13 coasters according to RCDB. However, I'll admit that I'm a little unsure. I will most probably count it if I ride it at Europa in April, as I usually keep RCDB as somewhat of a bible to refer to for what is and isn't a coaster, but I'll admit that I'm undecided. On one hand, I definitely see RCDB's classification; it coasts upwards outside of the drop, it has coaster-style hardware, and it also has a uniquely coaster-style element in the form of the airtime hill. On the other hand, though... I don't think it looks the most coaster-y, and what really differentiates it from a regular shoot-the-chutes?

Because of the overwhelming evidence for it being a cred (RCDB counts it, and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of pushback against that classification), I'll almost definitely count it, but I'll admit I am second guessing its cred credentials (cred-entials?) slightly, as it doesn't look the most coaster-y, I'll admit. But I guess it does coast upwards in an element that isn't the drop, it does have an airtime hill, and it does have coaster-style track.

So I'd be intrigued to know; what's your opinion? Is Atlantica a coaster credit, in your view?

With so many rides now that blur the line I wonder if a better way to look at it is how Planet Coaster lists rides:
- Flat rides
- Tracked rides
- Scenic rides
- Transport rides
Simple and gets rid of the need to worry about credits.

With so many rides now that blur the line I wonder if a better way to look at it is how Planet Coaster lists rides:
- Flat rides
- Tracked rides
- Scenic rides
- Transport rides
Simple and gets rid of the need to worry about credits.
That's a nice idea, but I'll admit that I personally find coaster counting really fun compared to counting other types of attraction... I don't know why, I've just always really liked coaster credit counting!

Also, PlanCo does differentiate coasters from other types of ride; if you look at the statistics like "combined length of all coasters" or the tallest/fastest/longest etc, only the coasters are counted in that; none of the other gravity-fed tracked ride types (e.g. log flumes) are.

To be honest, I think I'm going to count Atlantica. The amount of evidence for it being a cred is far greater than the amount of evidence against it being a cred.

However you try to categorise things there will always be grey areas - some purists don't count powered coasters whilst others will try to insist things like BPB's Ghost Train is secretly a coaster (it's really not).

I've always counted Atlantica but I don't always agree with RCDB - a few years ago they removed BPB's Vikingar but I still count that. Conversely I've never been convinced that a Heege butterfly is a coaster, though as I've not yet ridden one it's largely academic.

Interestingly, at the same time Vikingar was removed, RCDB also decided that whilst Atlantica is a coaster, Super Splash at Plopsaland isn't - despite them being same type of ride.

The Ghost Train...it really is.
Wood track, lift hill, free rolling drop, coast up the other side...more of a coaster than the mine train at the towers...no lift hill, no free rolling drop, always under power.
Every opinion is sacred.
Categorisation and pigeon holing can be such fun, there is zero universal truth.
Good job I don't count.

Just count what you want, in fact the coaster count website is pretty good at grouping things, and allowing you to choose what you can/can't count.

RCDB is quite odd as the water chutes at Blackpool and Rhyl were both on it at some point before being removed. And I'd always considered them as coasters more than anything else.

However you try to categorise things there will always be grey areas - some purists don't count powered coasters whilst others will try to insist things like BPB's Ghost Train is secretly a coaster (it's really not).

I'd say it is secretly a coaster, but only if you go down the extra bit of track with the loop the loop.