• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is the UK theme park industry heading for a bumpy ride?

Hi guys,

I'm Ellie and I'm an undergraduate student in my final year of study at Edinburgh Napier University. As part of my final year I need to write a dissertation and mines is focusing on challenges facing the UK theme park industry either currently or in the near future. As a result of this I'm undertaking primary research in terms of a survey in order to gain perspective on how UK theme park visitors perceive their visits.

I need as many responses as possible and hence, would like to ask you all to take a couple of minutes to participate.

The survey can be found here: https://survey.napier.ac.uk/n/zz4p6.aspx

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The parks do need to improve their offering for the money paid, especially with the Merlin parks. Although I did say in that survey, when taking my son to Drayton Manor, for the combined sum of £20 for me and him in June last year. That represented great value for money for me. As the attractions on offer that we could both experience (Thomas Land, Cartoon Network Street, The zoo, The farm) represented fantastic value for £20.

They would have to cut their offering by a large amount for it to be at the same lower level of value that a place like Alton offers for the same type of people visiting. Had I visited Drayton with a group of lads, we would have got much lower value out of the day as we would have paid higher prices and had less to do. Like wise being vise versa, pay a little bit less with two for ones and get into Alton with a group of lads, I would have got much better value for money than when visiting with my lad, due to the attraction offerings available.

I think the offering very much depends on the park and the demographic of people in your group. As both variables in different combinations can vastly change what is perceived as a good value day out or not.

Another issue is UK theme parks do absolutely nothing to attract foreign visitors

Generally I agree, but Blackpool have announced their reciprocal deal for European theme park annual pass holders (where you get one free day ticket) right?

I answered the survey. I believe we have some excellent theme parks with some unique style and settings. Alton towers is a real flagship of the UK theme park industry and whilst there could be many improvements (from F&B offering to theming execution), I think overall the park represents a good day out.

Merlin, who operates 3 major theme parks, is very profit focused, and please do take a look at the recent warning regarding undermining the quality of the product (can't remember who it was from, it was mentioned in these forums, ACB or there was an F in there). However they offer the biggest capex investments into the parks compared with other independent parks. This means they do have the best rides in the UK.

Independents I can't talk about much, as I've not been to one in a long time. Good things to look into are closed parks. Most recently Pleasure Island Cleethorpes, further back American adventure and morecome morecambe frontierland. Another really interesting thing that everyone has been following is the Blackpool pleasure beach investment in new hardware. It's still yet to be seen whether it will pay off, but despite major investment in thrill, it's fairly safe to say it still didn't draw crowds like Wickerman did (marketing concerns here).

Accidents have really affected the industry recently. Smiler crash and Drayton manor rapids ride drowning. (Did M&Ds in Scotland not also have something happen further back?) This has changed people's perception of theme parks a lot, and led to a change in visitor numbers at their respective parks.

Thomas land and Peppa pig world have done remarkably well for their respective markets, and encouraged Alton towers to invest in ceebebies land. Two interesting points ride here -
Firstly is the family market which appears to be key to keeping independents open as for relatively low investment they can create large family areas with many kids rides.
Secondly the need for an IP to create a popular ride. This is hotly debated around here, but with the success of these family rides it's clear to see why parks feel they need to secure rights to big names from TV. (For other IPs Thorpe works as a good example with walking dead, derren brown and angry birds - not exactly all successes).

Finally one thing to remember is the difference between the enthusiasts critical eye and the general publics more relaxed approach. The parks are targeting the general public, pushing for increases in KPI scores and good trip advisor reviews. Be aware how these two things differ.

As for social media, it's been rocky. With thorpe desperately posting memes and Alton towers saying "well it's better than nothing". Things like queue times online have affected the way people view their day out at the park.

Also, it's worth considering the booking options for the parks while considering value for money. Five different Merlin annual passes, two Alton towers passes, online price, gate price, voucher price, fastracks and now second gate (dungeons) as well parking, premium parking and hotels, loadges, pods, camping, hotel outside of the park ... All of this affects value for money. Deciding on how much you spend at theme parks has never been more difficult!

Hope all this helps.

Last edited:
Yeah M&Ds had arguably potentially the worst accident of recent history (also being the most recent too) with the track breaking and the train literally flying off the track and crashing onto another ride, it was a Pinfari hanging coaster if I remember correctly, yet it dropped off the front page as quick as it appeared because for some lottery winning level of luck, nobody was seriously injuried never mind killed.

Merlin's "take it or leave it" attitude has resulted in me taking the leave it option, I have Merlexited.

Done the questionnaire btw.

There was actually also an incident at Gullivers which showed a lack of maintenance to their rides. There really has been a shocking number of accidents recently. (At funfairs too, which might not be as relevant but there has been at least one serious injury).

One thing to really note when thinking about the impact of accidents on the parks is the media reporting. Sensationalist reporting has reported everything from regular stoppages (which if anything keep you safe) to full blown lies about the accidents that did happen. (I'm talking things like 50ft in the air, when it's clearly no more than 10ft as there is a man stood next to the coaster in the picture). The media seems to have realised that these are easy views on a slow news day.

Hope this gives you some things to research into.

Lots of good reasons already given but one that hasn't been mentioned yet as far as I can see is pure affordability.

Cost of living in this country is out of control and well beyond the inflation of wages. Everything seems to go up in price continuously every year. We pay ridiculous prices for Gas electricity and Petrol for example. Train prices for a 2hr journey within the UK can often be the same as a flight to Spain or Greece and in many cases even more expensive. House prices are ridiculous etc.

Council tax is another example I think pretty much every council has put up the maximum of 5%, my pay increase this year was 2%.

Totally agree with the above, prices of everything are spiralling out of control compared to pay increases

Apparently new car sales are going down the toilet very recently as well. Talks of a new scrappage scheme starting etc so would wait a while for some bargains (relatively) if in the market for a new car. Looks like they're struggling to get rid.

Heading for another recession/depression/credit crunch in the next few years. Nailed on.