• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is there anything I should know before going to Phantasia Land for the first time?

Lurker

TS Member
Hi,

I have booked hotel & flights to visit Phantasia Land. I wanted to know what do I need to know before I go?

From the advice given in other threads I've planned 2 park days, but we're doing 4 nights so should be some time to experience Cologne too.

Unfortunately we won't be staying on resort, but would you recommend trying the hotels restaurants and bars like you would at Europa?

Is there any common discounts for Phantasia Land or is the online price likely the best one?

I was thinking to do fantissima after one of the park days. Is this something that you'd recommend, especially for English only speakers?

Do you have any tips to make the most out of a day at Phantasia Land?

I would appreciate any advice you could give.

Thank you @Matt N for the thread format inspiration.

I'm going in 2 months time myself but never been. Staying 1 night in Motamba and visiting on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Will be interesting to see if there's any little nuggets of wisdom in this thread from veterans.

It's difficult to give advice as I last visited in 2019, so before covid.
Back then the park opened at 9am, and the rides at 10am. However Black Mamba would open at 9.30am so you could go there first, get a ride in. Then join the queue for Taron before it opens.

Rides like Taron and Chiapas have single rider queues so can be useful, especially for rerides.

Hotel Matamba is lovely, great breakfast, nice enough bar as well.

I visited for the first time back in November and had an excellent time. No means a veteran but happy to share my experiences! We went Friday-Monday, with 2 nights in Matamba and 1 night in Cologne.

In the hotels we only ate in Restaurant Zambesi, and had cocktails in Jafari Bar. The food in the restaurant was great quality and the buffet constantly being restocked, the cocktails were fairly decent but it was the setting that made it.

We found that 2 days on park was ample to see and experience everything, with multiple rerides on FLY and Taron. Although crowds were light on both days. The park opened at 9am but with rides from 10am so we got some time to wander round and soak up the atmosphere, that said on the Saturday they opened FLY early so we were able to rack up some rides early. Other stand out bits were an epic lunch at Rutmore’s Tavern (never seen so much meat in my life), great churros, and night rides on Taron’s back row after a day of it warming up.

We also book ended our trip with two days in Cologne and actually found we ran out of things to see over the two days (that might be because the museum, chocolate factory and gallery was closed though). In hindsight we would have spent more time in Brühl to explore the Schloss and market area.

Some useful stuff we found;
- the Deutsche Bahn app was the best way to book train tickets/connections for the best price
- the luggage lockers in Cologne station were good value for storing big bags while exploring the city
- the Phantasialand bus was more frequent than its schedule
- food in Phantasialand was mostly good quality and value. (On day two we had snacks from every area rather than big meals and particularly enjoyed the spring rolls and jambalaya)
- there are a lot of stairs up the bell tower of Cologne cathedral, but the view is phenomenal.

Not really a tip, but if you're going to the park by rail and travelling on the Stadbahn (aka the trams) then the staff at Koln HBF were very friendly and helped me out extra!

Thanks for all the info. Especially on travel. We were thinking to hire a car as it looks as though it's going to be difficult to get public transport from our hotel to the park (or at least take a lot longer than driving). But I'll check on the Deutsche Bahn app.

We were planning to visit the park on a Monday / Tuesday in May so I was expecting it to be relatively quiet. However it looks like if we choose that option we won't be able to do fantissima which doesn't open on those days. So I'm considering whether it's worth doing the Sunday and Fantissima, which would be busier but would let us make the most of our day.

I'm thinking we might eat at Hotel Matamba on the other park day. But still considering the options for that.

I heard from other people the food in Uhrwerk (Rookburgh) is very good. If you take some small food/snacks or order something from this restaurant I recommend to sit outside of Tacana. You get a very nice view of Chiapas while eating.

Uhrwerk is a bit overpriced I found - nothing on Rutmor's which is a must visit for lunch. If the park is at all busy, you may have to wait for a table.

Phantasialand is a small park, two days is more than ample. I recommend the (new for 2021) patisserie in Berlin! Wow! It's called Tortchen & Co.

Jumping on this thread. I'm currently looking at booking my first visit to Phantasialand in the last week of September for a two day visit.

My budget unfortunately doesn't stretch to staying onsite (although they do look quiet booked up and also Cologne is mega expensive that week for some reason but I can't see any school/public holidays ect)

I'm looking at hotels in Brühl which look more reasonable (any recommendations, or ones to steer clear of!)

Booked myself a mini trip to Efteling, Toverland, Phantasialand. Hopefully they'll all be reasonably quiet at the end of September?

Booked myself a mini trip to Efteling, Toverland, Phantasialand. Hopefully they'll all be reasonably quiet at the end of September?
The two times I've visited Efteling and Toverland that time of the year during midweek they've been relatively quiet. Toverland seemed to have school trips but even then it was pretty manageable.

My last visit to Efteling in August 2019 they'd added single rider queues to all the big rides as well.

Phantasialand was busy when I visited in early October but it was a Saturday and Sunday.

Reactions: IDB
Just had a quick glance at the accommodation we booked in Brühl to see pretty much every review within the past month is negative! So have hastily booked in elsewhere.

I visited the park last week and have some advice.

Currently the gates open at 9 and rides then open at 10. We got on park about 9.30ish. My advice is (weather depending) go and wait outside river quest or Chiapas first. Then go and do the likes Winjas, Mouse and crazy bats.

Taron and fly will be busy first thing but will definitely be quieter in the afternoon (Then busy at the end of the day) so do that in the afternoon.

Keep an eye on the app, however I did find the queue times to be a bit hit and miss, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.