• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Joypolis: 'Veil of Dark' spinning, launched, shooting, inverting Gerstlauer (?)

Sam

TS Member
I know that sounds like every 14-year old n00bs wishlist (if only it was wooden and an Aquatrax as well?) but the insane coaster in the title actually exists.

Sega's Joypolis in Tokyo has had a spinning coaster for years, which looked a bit ghetto, frankly.

But this year, they've given the entire centre a complete refurbishment, and have replaced the rollercoaster with a whole... new... beast. It's called Veil of Dark and it's a spinning, launched, inverting, shooting dark coaster, probably made by Gerstlauer.

Here's some photos from Kotaku:

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Get ready for what will forever now be known as THAT inversion...

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

I can't see how the shooting comes into it, but that bit comes from this graphic on the centre's website:

main_01.jpg

Though maybe it could just mean 'launched'? Either way, a spinning launched inverting coaster isn't half bad. ;)

Thanks to bergochdalbana on CF for the information on this, and the guess that it might be Gerstlauer based on the track and restraints.

It's certainly fascinating. Although I've done it on RCT, I never thought we'd see a spinning coaster with an inversion. It's a game-changer. For spinning coasters, and for Gerstlauer. Surely the forces going through the inversion are entirely changeable and potentially insane...?

This is utterly fascinating and I demand to know more about this ride! NOW.

Re: Joypolis: 'Veil of Dark' spinning, launched, shooting, inverting Gerstlauer

Was this created on a drunken night out when someone stumbled across etch a sketch?

It is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen, and would certainly offer a unique ride experience, which is what slinning coasters are meant to do!

I'd love to ride it one day!

Not sure what I'm more shocked by; The coaster itself or the fact that the park it's in is owned by SEGA!! :eek: I need to go there now!

This looks like a strange Roller Coaster, I wonder how long until Theme Park Review or Coaster Force post a POV on YouTube. ;)

That Inversion is one I've tried many a time on No Limits, and failed. :(

Don't really expect anything else from Tokyo looks a farly crazy city

Well that eliminates several World's Firsts that SW7 could be ;)

I predict that this coaster is the result of a pub bet made by a drunken Gerstlauer to Maurer Söhne.

Erm... What were they smoking when they came up with this?! It's like Togo, Maurer, and Intamin have come together to make the most insane idea possible!

Given that this is going to Japan I guess it could be made by any number of manufacturers. Asia is riddled with these random copy companies who build a ride that's a blatant copy of another companies (See Asia's various SLC knockoffs) :p

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this isn't one of their creations, taking design features from Gerst and/or Maurer. I'd be surprised if it's come from Maurer though, considering they're still trying to push the Non-Inverting Looping Spinning Coaster :p I just can't imagine Gerst being mad enough to try this either. Unless, the spinning is a controled sort of system whereby the vehicles are locked at a certain point on the track, or spin to a predetermined position and hold there for the inversion. This would mean the forces are always more of less the same for the inversion every time. Surely just letting it go through at any angle could not only cause serious strain on the body in the right position, but also cause an awful lot of strain on the ride equipment.

From the two photos of the car about to enter the inversion, it doesn't look locked at a specific angle! Possibly the spinning function on this one is quite minimal, as in they've purposefully added friction to make it spin slower?

Or maybe they don't care for such things as comfort and common sense and have got crazy?

I know what sounds more appealing! :p

seems its not controlled through the inversion!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JV10UCO4X4&feature=player_embedded#t=250s[/youtube]

Go to 4:10 if it doesnt start there. Bat-poo crazy!

I posted some stuff about this ride a while back if anyone wants to see a bit more of the ride, as well as a rather crazy video of it? :p

Edit: May as well just quote it to save opening another page! :p

BigAl said:
Don't know how many people have read about Gerstlauer's new spinning coaster that opened at Joypolis in Japan called Veil of Dark? It looks pretty fun and it's an interesting combination of rides to make a new kind of attraction.

Guests travel though two dark ride areas inside an abandoned research facility and use seat-mounted guns to blast monsters around them and on screens. After riders have fended off the creatures, the car leaves the facility via a a tire-driven launch which sends riders spinning around into an inversion and possibly a few other bits and bobs (it's hard to tell what happens when the only thing to go off is a few images and a strange video :p )

The cars:
jqob6dp7le1id8005ling3.jpg

The launch:
9jt4qo003b5f06mcrifb23.jpg

The inversion:
c44834qo00bb1f06mcr2fb.jpg

A car passing the inversion:
capjhid8001lkng3b6dh7l.jpg

The strange video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHccfqRPfA

From Gerstlauer's website:

We are just always good for a surprise! "Veil of Dark - The Shooting Coaster" the Spinning Coaster is Gerstlauer, 2012 which really excels in the shade - and head - is!

The roller coaster novelty in Japanese indoor amusement park in Tokyo Joypolis despite their mysterious name must not hide behind the veil of darkness! A total of 300 meters of track awaits the brave riders an innovative development of our spinning coaster concept. The first highlight of the system are the newly designed single cars for every four people, in which passengers can take a seat in the first two rows. Secured by comfortable shoulder strap, the exciting journey begins with a curvy dark ride through an abandoned part-research laboratory. This promoted a chain lift the vehicle on five meters before things get out of control in the laboratory!

Using a friction wheel launches the vehicle is accelerated to a speed of 38 km / h and shoots out into the atrium of the indoor amusement park. If that was not enough, here waiting for the next highlight on the passengers. The vehicle drives through a right turn, which ends in a Heartline roll. A wacky world first with incredible ride! Then round a wild mouse curve, a gyroscope and a change in direction from the trip.

Are you brave enough? "Veil of Dark - The Shooting Coaster" by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides you to the test. 2012 - Joypolis Tokyo!

Width ~ 40 m
Depth ~ 55 m
Height ~ 5 m
Rail length ~ 300 m
Gauge 800 mm
Speed ~ 38 km / h
Inversions 1
Vehicles (4 people) 5

Looks fun! :)

Double edit:

The strange video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHccfqRPfA#ws