• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Dominion Removing Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
PARK UPDATE

February 8, 2019

The 2019 operating season is on the horizon! Before we make a quick announcement, let’s take a look at what we accomplished in 2018. The addition of Twisted Timbers, the area’s first hybrid roller coaster, brought more fun, thrills and memories. And we lit up the park for a new season of fun for the first time ever with WinterFest in November and December, ending the year with a bang thanks to New Year’s Eve fireworks. We’ve heard not only how much you love only Twisted Timbers and all the changes in our Candy Apple Grove section of the park, but also the immersive magical family environment we created with WinterFest. Major thanks goes to our talented and dedicated team for pulling out all the stops to create experiences you won’t soon forget.

Part of getting ready for a new operating season includes an expert evaluation of our rides and operations. As a part of that evaluation, every aspect of our rides and attractions are analyzed, from guest satisfaction, throughput and rider capacity to reliability, uptime and maintenance. After thorough evaluation, the decision has been made to remove Volcano: The Blast Coaster. This wasn’t an easy decision for us, because we know that people love this one-of-a-kind coaster; however, over time it became nearly impossible to keep the ride up to our high standards of reliability and guest satisfaction, and for these reasons we had to make the tough call. We apologize to anyone who is inconvenienced by the removal, but hope they will understand that it was done to enhance the overall guest experience here at Kings Dominion.

2019 is going to be a great year at Kings Dominion, and we have some exciting announcements up our sleeves that are sure to thrill our guests and associates alike. Stay tuned for more information, and thank you for your support.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2019/park-update

This is shocking to be honest, as it was a unique coaster. Hopefully something really, really good will replace it in the future.

Rest In Peace Volcano. :(

Wasn't top 10 - or top 100 for me, but it's always sad to see unique coasters go. It was pretty iconic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As I said on CoasterForce Forum, I certainly wasn't expecting this removal! It's a shame, in my opinion, as the ride was unique and I would have liked to have ridden it, but I'm sure Cedar Fair will put something even better there!

I remember seeing this on coaster programmes (can't remember which one) back in the day and I always really wanted to ride it. Shame it's going but I do think what will replace it is gonna be a lot better.

Another unfortunate closure, and I only heard about the apparent mechanical issues earlier this year as well.

I assume this implies it'll be removed from the start of the season? If so, absolutely gutted we'll miss it in July. I can tell it was never going to be the world's greatest but I do have a soft spot sometimes for unique, bonkers coasters.

I wasn't quite expecting this news however it had been rumoured for a little while, I think whatever was wrong with the coaster was really quite significant and costly to rectify. The ride itself was very unique but bar the launches and final drop (straight into the brakes I might add) it really wasn't all that.

It was iconic however.