• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kolmården Wildlife Park - 09/07/16

Danny

TS Contributor
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Södermanland and Östergötland are two of the most notable agricultural provinces in Sweden, separated only by a large forest. The forest was once considered as an obstacle by those attempting to traverse between the two areas, with many having to use the Baltic Sea as an alternate route. However, their frustration is wrongly directed. The forest was not just an obstacle for passing, but also prevented those from taking in the magnificent views, ones that belong on an expensive canvas. Thankfully, fast forward to modern day and the views hidden by the forest have been accommodated, with the Norrköping–Nyköping railway line passing through as well as the E4 highway, stretching up to Stockholm. The name of the forest in question? Kolmården.

13645339_10153930553174387_1886312416821832056_n.jpg

The scenic route to Kolmården: Bråviken bay as seen from Strandvägen, just outside Krokek.

But forget the history and the geography, that's not why you're here is it? In fact there's only one reason why many were traversing this scenic and winding road along the bay. Kolmården Wildlife Park.

The zoo originally opened in 1965 and to this day is not just the largest zoo in Sweden, but Scandinavia as a whole. We would have happily continued driving along the gorgeous roads for many more miles, but we hadn't flown all the way out to explore the scenery. Indeed, Kolmården was the whole reason of our Scandinavian road trip that also included Tusenfryd, Liseberg and Grona Lund. Forget the Helix's, the Speed Monster's, the Twister's and Jetline's. We were here for one very specific reason, and I'll come to that later on.

The zoo is situated on the main road, with the parking attendants having the difficult job of judging who was intending to visit and who wasn't, before directing them into the car park on the opposite side to the zoo.

To reach the zoo is a standard zebra crossing, or an elevated footbridge in order to ease traffic during the busier periods. Once across, it starts to become clear of what a mammoth task it would be to navigate the zoo and its plethora of enclosures and number of rides.

13730957_10153930553634387_2071774635356553810_o.jpg

The gateway to sore legs: Kolmården Wildlife Park's entrance.

Once inside, there's a pleasantly shaded area with overpriced stuffed animals on display in the centre with the shop cast off to the side, waiting to be examined at the end of the day. Beyond this and elevated on a hilly plinth is the map to the zoo, which in no way imaginable gave us an idea of the sheer scale of what lay ahead.

In what was becoming tradition on the trip thus far courtesy of Tusenfryd and Liseberg, there's a set of escalators that give guests an alternate route rather than attempting to ascend the unwelcoming hill. It's only once you reach the top that the exploration of the gargantuan site begins, with plenty of surrounding trees to offer shade throughout the scorching Scandinavian summer.

It's no secret that our primary objective to begin with was not to see the animals, but it seemed plenty of them were going to make an appearance on the arduous trek to the back of the zoo. However even though its variety of animals in the long run is a delight, the variety of hills that must be negotiated in order to reach anywhere is not. Up and down, small and tall, they appear in so many different shapes and sizes to test even the fittest of individuals. The zoo is by no means a walk in the park like our familiar and flat Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but rather forces you to push yourself to the edge of physical strain in order to progress. But naturally due to the distance covered to get this far for our goal, we proceeded to stick with it and overcame the wicked landscape. An eternity later, we're rewarded with a sight that we'd been dying to see for months.

13654235_10153930555479387_7521663385675966084_n.jpg

On the horizon: the sole reason for our Scandinavia trip prepares to welcome us.

The pace gathers, the mouths drop and the sounds of excitement erupt. The sense of being a small child returns as we finally stand at the foot of Wildfire, Europe's first RMC roller coaster.

13680087_10153930556119387_5552350059207562654_o.jpg

"*insert range of explicits here* that looks *insert further explicits here*!!!!!111!!"

Stood atop a cliff face, plunging down the hillside, hugging the terrain and throwing itself round into the sky, Wildfire is a sight to behold. Its integration with the landscape remarkable, whilst its dominating presence at height exceptional. The many hundreds of pounds and krona that it had cost to get this far had all been worth it, just for the sensation of anticipation that was at a ludicrous peak.

13640881_10153930556704387_1182158598891975609_o.jpg

The simple fact is this: It's time to be mind blown.

For many of our group, it was our first taste of what RMC had to offer. With the recent rumours of closures effecting some of their coasters, many lucky stars were thanked to be able to stand in a five minute queue awaiting the first ride. I opted for front row, wanting to be blown away by the ride's visuals first before it had chance to pick up the pace and do many unspeakable things on the back row later on. It's safe to say that every single expectation of the ride in terms of a visual experience were smashed.

28218644942_107cc4768e_c.jpg

Try beating that view from atop a roller coaster. Go on. I dare you.

If there really is such thing as an afterlife and a true heaven, then I imagine the experience of ascending to it would be similar to Wildfire's lift hill. To the right, a dense and magnificent forest sat atop vast and alternating terrain. To the left, the Bråviken bay with surrounding countryside stretching out to the horizon. It really is the confirmation needed to say that Sweden is one of, if not, the most beautiful country on the planet. If this view were a mere human being like us, they'd be the definition of the perfect specimen.

After the 270 degree turnaround, there's a brief ascent one more time to freeze the view in your memory forever, before Wildfire begins its descent down the 83 degree drop and the cliff its built upon. The rush is extraordinary, hitting you quicker than a cricket ball launched by a world class bowler. The following transition from the plummet into ascent is scarily smooth, whilst still leaving your underwear on fire from the drop. With the journey from high to low achieved, Wildfire takes great pleasure in distorting which way is up, throwing you upside down and hanging you there for several seconds at the perfect 180 degree angle. Best of all is that this manoeuvre is completed all whilst being restrained by a lapbar, with nothing to hold onto. Arms are forced into the air, and you're invited to embrace the experience as gravity below cries at its failed attempt to reclaim you from the carriage.

Then there's RMC's signature move of holding riders at a vertical angle sideways, an attempt at disillusioning you before pulling you back to the ground in the complete opposite direction. This may have had the potential for airtime had the designers not been insistent on pulling off said signature move, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it's been saved for later.

27706405924_7b2c2258d3_c.jpg

Should've, could've, would've. But no air time here.

What follows is a chaotic dash back up the hill, with the ORP hidden away to capture the inevitable elation that Wildfire has thus far bestowed upon you. Small pops of airtime are gleefully hidden within the wooden structure that you frequently pass through as the ride winds further and further towards its conclusion, hidden by two glass smooth inversions. I've already stated that the way RMC profiled them are a mysterious art form, one that belongs in a prestigious gallery and I'm taking this opportunity again to reinstate this view. There's no thunderous and unforgiving direction changes, no knocks, no vibrations. It's as if the ride is giving you an amicable and thanking hug for making the deliberate effort to travel out and base an entire trip across two countries just to ride it.

Sadly, the ride's efforts thus far begin to stutter, and it's time for our brief romance to end. The only issue is that it seems to have forgotten how to get us home, jamming on the brakes and even skipping out what should be airtime hills to find a safe route back to the station. It eliminates the fizzing excitement, the shot of adrenaline and every feeling imaginable that has been drawn up thus far. Granted it attempts to make up for it by a banked series of swept turns before it bows out nobly on the brake run, but it's safe to say the ending is a little lacklustre. It's been the perfect date right up until it's time to go home, and it seems neither of us wanted to leave. But sadly, that's where Wildfire loses any ability to easily take a well travelled coaster enthusiast's number one spot. Rather than finish the whirlwind experience with a bang, it chooses to do it in a polite and uncharacteristic manner compared to how it acted when we first met and throughout the experience. It fails to wrap itself up with a fancy bow to make a great package, and leaves you feeling a tad underwhelmed, despite some of the best views and terrain navigating of any coaster on the planet.

As the day progresses, Wildfire warms up and hauls serious ass throughout the first half of its breathtaking structure. Every ride I take on it allows me to understand it further, get to know it better and the ride slowly but surely climbs my top ten coaster list. It leaves Wodan and Troy in a cloud of smoke. I gasp as I find myself enjoying it more than Montu, and it even manages to creep past Shambhala. But sadly just like the second half of the layout, this is as far as Wildfire and I were able to enjoy each others company as well as its progression down the top 10. Perched at number 5, Wildfire is far from the best roller coaster in the world, but that isn't the point of it. Whilst Wildfire is my favourite wooden roller coaster in the world, Kolmården are telling a whopping fat lie when they claim it's the greatest wooden roller coaster in the world. The best located wooden roller coaster in the world? Perhaps that would be a truer claim for the ride to boast. But even though it's the best wooden coaster I've been able to experience, I know for certain that there are bigger and much better out there.

And that conclud..., oh wait, hang on. There's more to Kolmården than just Wildfire. Oh yes....

Situated just behind it is perhaps the most bizarre attraction of the trip, something that has to be seen to be believed. A 70+ gondola Skyride that passes over many of the enclosures, with the gondolas bearing a welcoming resemblance to their colourful counterparts back at home in the land of Staffordshire. However take out the windows, pop in some bars and give them animal print frocks on the exterior (don't forget the cup holders!) and we're ready.

27706264014_a46f0ca3fc_c.jpg

This doesn't look like the route to Forbidden Valley...

What this attraction does is take the animals out of the enclosure, and substitute them for you. A tiny cage suspended several meters from the ground on a 20 minute voyage over some of the zoo's residents. Not only does it offer a rather unique way of viewing the range of animals, but there's also some impressive views of the bay as you depart the station.

28218599742_bdca90977f_c.jpg

DAT view <3.

On top of this is the obligatory commentary, thankfully translated from Swedish into English at the press of a button in the roof of the cabin. As the gondola poises to dock 20 minutes later, many animal facts have been learnt and memory card data has been consumed in the SLR.

Back down towards Wildfire is where half of our group seemed to spend the entire day, with one small little area attempting to capture to essence of Sea World. It even replicates Shamu Express from SWO before altering the layout and producing the very enjoyable family coaster Delfin Expressen, complete with trains that resemble, well... delfins obviously.

13737631_10153930560864387_3450243447718890545_o.jpg

At the other side of the zoo relatively near the entrance is the new for last year's children area, complete with a small but relatively fun Zierer Force 190 coaster, baring a small similarity to Wildfire with its lift hill built atop a mini cliff. There's nothing really of note in this area, as we hastily left before an army of naked children began attacking the small fountain at its entrance.

Hidden away in one corner is a petting zoo, with all kinds of cute little buggers basking in the beautiful Scandinavian sunshine. We soon realise we're spending far too much time in here, and after Al is done oogling at this fine fellow (see image below), we swiftly make a beeline for some of the zoo's other residents.

13690610_10153930592749387_5287779480436346248_n.jpg

You've goat to be kidding me... @BigAl amazed at the proximity he is able to gain to Kolmarden's friendly residents.

I shan't go into too much detail of exploring each and every enclosure the zoo has, but the entire afternoon is soon consumed in visiting each one (the tedious hills may also have contributed to this). Some of the zoo's highlights include:

27706086764_0cec75fc2c_c.jpg

The appearance of this mighty fellow, who literally graced us with his presence for a few seconds before retreating back into the shade.

13723942_10153930596529387_8288062141995326912_o.jpg

This ignorant little sod who refused to eat when called. Their chum looked all too pleased at the thought of getting extra food...
13738257_10153930597074387_207426106545014945_o.jpg

13613483_10153930602529387_6300123828962415023_o.jpg

This fine fellow seemed very content in his vast savannah enclosure.

13653363_10153930609964387_4932326013452324343_o.jpg

This is genuinely how close we were able to get to a tiger (behind glass, of course). A breathtaking moment.

We left Kolmården not as sad as we had done with Liseberg the day prior, but satisfied. The zoo had exceeded expectations and had given us a fantastic day out. It felt slightly unreal we'd come all this way for a zoo with one notable roller coaster, but do you know what? I'm glad we did. Their hospitality prior to our visit was delightful, giving us free entry into such a wonderful place. The animals are well looked after, with hugely expansive enclosures. I'm no animal expert by all means, but they look well kept and most importantly of all, happy. But the animals aren't the spectacle here. Infact as a whole, the animals probably get more entertainment observing us treking up and down the hills all day and by gosh did we feel it the next day!

Room for improvement? Massively. It feels weird to have invested in Wildfire when there is such a family orientated dominance in their audience. It felt very busy during our visit, yet Wildfire's queue never exceeded anything over 20 minutes. It's laughable that the extended queue line for the ride appears to hold approximately three hours worth of queuing based on the throughputs, but perhaps this is a pledge for the future. There's no argument that the zoo's next ride investment needs to be water rides, a solid method of cooling down after copious amounts of walking in the scorching heat. Another thrill coaster down the line wouldn't go amiss either to ensure that Wildfire isn't the elephant in the room when it comes to the coaster line up, and perhaps more benches to take a break from the straining walks across the land.

I would almost certainly go back to Kolmården if they were to boost their ride offerings and pull off another serious investment much like they have this year. The zoo is in the safe hands of the Tivoli portfolio and a CEO who we observed zipping around on a segway as opposed to being locked up in an office jacking off with wads of krona.

It's too far out from anywhere notable to make it the sole purpose for a visit, but I imagine this won't deter those whose hearts are set on riding Wildfire one way or another. Don't expect the most mindblowing thing since bread and butter, anticipate a good ride with scenic views and let Wildfire do the rest for you, easily the best way to experience the ride.

But the matter is simple; if you ever find yourself cruising on the E4 to or from Stockholm and happen to pass through this historic forest, pull off and do yourself a favour. Visit Kolmården Wildlife Park and let its magical views, animals and indeed Wildfire, astound you.

13681051_10153930609144387_1031854627732161133_n.jpg

All photos taken by myself. Don't steal without permission because it's naughty. Kthnx.

Last edited:
Never bother to read trip reports, but have to read yours everytime.
Beautiful storytelling as usual! Particular favourite part is:
a CEO who we observed zipping around on a segway as opposed to being locked up in an office jacking off with wads of krona.

What a terrific thought.

Wildfire definitely wasn't my sole reason for doing the trip, and "no vibrations" my foot. :) Otherwise a good, accurate summary of the park. Perhaps one day I'll get around to my own trip report, but in the meantime, I felt the biggest issue with the place is that it feels very disjointed at the moment. The few areas with rides feel very theme parkish (especially Bamse's Varld, the kids' area), whereas anywhere animal related feels like the top notch zoo it really is. Hopefully they can sort that out with future ride additions and follow up the impressive statement of intent they've made this year. When it's become Kol-more-den (as pronounced) I'll certainly return!

Brilliant trip report Danny, one of the best I have read in a long time. It's made me want to visit Kolmarden even more than I already did, and not just for Wildfire!

:)