• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Koln Tips

Rojo

TS Member
Hey all,

I've been hoovering up information on Phantasialand from all the recent threads as I have booked a week in Cologne. I'm thinking of doing the Zoo, Movie Park, Koln Oktoberfest, and Phantasialand. Is there anything else worth doing in the area? Have I missed anything glaringly obvious?

As a complete noob to Phantasialand/Movie Park, any advice on what to do in a single day and what to leave out if the queues are big? I have a hire car but I have never driven in Europe before any advice? I have taken pluks tip to add piece of paper pointing to the Kerb from his German adventure thread.

Anything you can advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

I would recommend seeing the Cologne Cathedral, it really is a stunning peice of architecture and wa once the tallest building in the world, it is also free to enter. I went on a bus tour that was about 30 - 40 minute ride around the city that gave a audio tour of the city which I found very interesting, it also took you past the zoo, even giving you the option to get off there.

When I went early July it was my first time driving in Europe, I found the autobahns very easy tto drive down as they seemed quite compared to our motorways and having a left hand drive wasn't bad at all as it seemed to help my brain switch round to driving on the other side as the car itself was the other way round. Driving in Cologne city was a little annoying at times but thats the same in any city I guess. There is also a tramline in Cologne which made me a little nervous as I didn't much like the idea of crashing into one whilst driving around but everyone seems to know where to be so best edvince would be take some kind of satnav and just go with the flow of vehicles.

I can't say anything about movie park as we didn't go there but for Phantasialand (come from someone who has only done one day there mind!) I clear nonessential would be Hollywood tours and temple of the night hawk, both very meh, but I felt I had to do them as you dont know if you will get another chance to. I went whilst I think most of the german schools were in school and it seemed very quite with Black Mamba walk on all day and no queue being longer than 5- 10 minutes (although this was just before Klugheim opening). I hope this helps and if anything else comes to mind I will post it! Hope you enojy your trip!! :)

Thank you Marcus. looking at the size of the zoo, a city bus tour that stops at the zoo will be perfect.

I have a left hand drive but only realised this morning I hired a manual, changing gears with my right hand might take some getting used to I guess. I'm taking my phone for SatNav, thanks for the tip on the trams. I'm stopping pretty central so I will probably walk everywhere so I don't have to worry about inner city driving/trams, cheers for the heads up though just in case I do end up driving in.

I find indoor coasters a bit of guilty pleasure especially if they are well themed like Raptor attack and Vogel Rok. Not sure if I can bring myself to skip Temple of The Night Hawk but Hollywood tours seems like it may have seen better days so that is definitely in the non-essentials list as well as wakatobo, hotel tartuff, Wellenflug and Tikal. If we get through everything else then we'll work back through them. The most consistence advice I keep seeing is to do Maus Au Chocolat first as the queues get excessive throughout the day.

Did you park at Phantasialand, and if so did you get the shuttle? I've read it's €8 for parking and the shuttle.

Has anyone used http://www.funticket.be/nl/? for cheaper tickets. It seems legit from a quick search but it would be great if someone could confirm.

Again thank you for your reply Marcus :)

On the autobahn beware that traffic is more "aggressive" than here. If there's a space in front of you that's big enough, someone will slot in! It's not bad, it just takes some getting used to because it's the only way you can merge back in after an overtaking manoeuvre!

I didnt use the shuttle due to our trip involving flying into Koln airport then heading straight to Toverland on our first day and staying on the outskirts of Eindhoven, then visiting Efteling the next day staying in the same hotel/ motel before traveling back down to Koln having a day at Phantasialand then staying one night in a hotel (it was more hostel imo) in the heart of Cologne with the 4th day spent site seeing before flying off that evening.

Driving into the park we go there about an hour after opening as we didn't feel much like rushing to get up after the long day before at Efteling, probably because of arriving later we were in a car park that involves you driving along a small road/ tunnel that seems to go right under the middle of the park and takes you round to enter into the park where mystery castle was, I thought this isn't a very grand enterance for a park as it only had 2 or 3 turnstiles and there was only a hand full of people going in and no more than 30 cars, we got directed down there so I guess it is a overflow/ second enterance.

Look forward to reading a wirte up of your trip. :)

My plans have changed a little bit now after realising that Movie Park is closed in the week in September :( Probably should have checked that a little earlier than I did.

So we started looking at the alternatives;
  • We've done Efteling this year
  • Fort Fun didn't quite have enough to attract me there
  • Toverland was a serious contender for Troy alone but not convinced its great for 2 adults without kids. Marcus, I read your reviews and it nearly swayed me but just didn't get the urge to go.
  • However I have decided to make my first trip to Heide Park instead. The downside being that Colossus is down until 2017 :( We are going to have a day at Hannover as well, we both like quirky cities that are little unfashionable for tourists. (e.g. Eindhoven) and this ticks the bill.
On the plus side we've decided to stop at the Hotel Matamba at Phantasialand so that should give us some extra time to spam Taron and Raik :D

Fair enough, Toverland is an awesome little place, I am sure one more big ride might of swung you, I can't say much about Heide Park as I havn't been there but it certainly looks like a great place, shame about Collosus. Not that I've been there either but was Walibi Park Holland an option?

I have a hire car but I have never driven in Europe before any advice? I have taken pluks tip to add piece of paper pointing to the Kerb from his German adventure thread.

It sounds daft, but it really does work!

I'd advise looking up their road signs as some were completely unknown to me. There was a yellow and white diamond I saw quite a lot and still have no idea what it was telling me!
Be a bit wary on the autobahn as the closing speeds of some nut jobs flying down the outside can take you by supprise when you are only used to our slow English roads.
If you are hiring a car take a couple of mins on collection to photograph every panel, preferably in the presence of the hire staff to try and discourage them trying anything on on return, so you can prove the validity of any damage claims. I had no issues at all (maybe because I did this!) but there are some real horror stories out there.

Have a great time! Look forward to hearing how you get on as I'd like to do this area next year myself.

Fair enough, Toverland is an awesome little place, I am sure one more big ride might of swung you, I can't say much about Heide Park as I havn't been there but it certainly looks like a great place, shame about Collosus. Not that I've been there either but was Walibi Park Holland an option?

I think you are right, just one more big coaster/dark ride and I think I would have gone. Arrgghh!!! I've just looked and Walibi is just as close as Heide Park and I would have preferred that :( Nevermind I have an excuse to go to Eindhoven again. That way I can do Walibi, Toverland and Efteling again.

It sounds daft, but it really does work!

I'd advise looking up their road signs as some were completely unknown to me. There was a yellow and white diamond I saw quite a lot and still have no idea what it was telling me!
Be a bit wary on the autobahn as the closing speeds of some nut jobs flying down the outside can take you by supprise when you are only used to our slow English roads.
If you are hiring a car take a couple of mins on collection to photograph every panel, preferably in the presence of the hire staff to try and discourage them trying anything on on return, so you can prove the validity of any damage claims. I had no issues at all (maybe because I did this!) but there are some real horror stories out there.

Have a great time! Look forward to hearing how you get on as I'd like to do this area next year myself.

Thanks again for the advice pluk, I've rented in Ireland in the past and I have done the dance with the car agents before. Photos of the car is definitely the way to go. I've read that much German highway code I must have thought I was re-taking my test. The yellow diamond is priority and one with lines is end of priority (Not sure who the priority applies to though). I think I'm going to find a certain slow vehicle and just stick behind that person for as long as possible :D

I'll try and get a write up or at the very least get a summary of some sort up. When I'm back.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Thank you to everyone for the advice on this, all your tips were greatly appreciated especially the driving ones when I was trundling along in the slow lane of the autobahn for the first 100km. I had a great week and got through everything I planned with only 1 cock-up when I made it back to UK soil and that was due to my tired brain.

I will get a trip report together soon and I'll expand on the brain fart mentioned above.

Thank you to everyone for the advice on this, all your tips were greatly appreciated especially the driving ones when I was trundling along in the slow lane of the autobahn for the first 100km. I had a great week and got through everything I planned with only 1 cock-up when I made it back to UK soil and that was due to my tired brain.

I will get a trip report together soon and I'll expand on the brain fart mentioned above.

You didn't go the wrong way round a roundabout did you? :p

You didn't go the wrong way round a roundabout did you? :p

As I'm not sure I when I'll get around to completing my trip report I'll avoid keeping you in suspense. I wish it was as trivial as the above. I had a petrol hire car and on my return and after a long day and evening in Thorpe Park, I mis-fueled my diesel car. What a complete an utter plonker o_O

I had it drained and managed the 3 hour drive home without issue. I will be replacing the filters just in case but luckily I seem to have gotten away with it this time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dar