• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Least Favourite inventions of the 21st Century

But I used to dash in, order something visible and ready, and be out of the door in about thirty seconds...
"Three value cheeseburgers please".
Done and dirty.

Bump!

Potential trigger warning

Just come across this new VR headset called "NerveGear" from the creator of Oculus (Palmer Luckey) that's still in development (and hopefully won't make out of that phase). It might just be the most stupid invention ever, and it would probably be banned by most countries if it ever was released. The reason why? It's designed to kill you. If the wearer dies virtually in-game the three "explosive charge modules" detonate, ending them in real life too. Pointless? Absolutely.

1667925330176.png

Bump!

Potential trigger warning

Just come across this new VR headset called "NerveGear" from the creator of Oculus (Palmer Luckey) that's still in development (and hopefully won't make out of that phase). It might just be the most stupid invention ever, and it would probably be banned by most countries if it ever was released. The reason why? It's designed to kill you. If the wearer dies virtually in-game the three "explosive charge modules" detonate, ending them in real life too. Pointless? Absolutely.

1667925330176.png
I blame Jumanji...

In all seriousness, that's absolutely vile, like some sort of suicide machine. There are already enough ways for people to end their own lives and lots of people trying far too frequently. That's just chilling.

Like someone else said, automated chat. It rarely provides the help you need, and if something's gone wrong with your order, it makes you even more irritated.

Mobiles have pros and cons, and I get the point about not being able to switch off, but they're great for convenience and fantastic media devices.

I'd say it's some of the apps / functions that you can use on a phone are the culprits, e.g., social media. There are pros and cons, but overall, a world without SM would be a less chaotic world. Fair play to people who have come off of them all together.

Last edited:
Like someone else said, automated chat. It rarely provides the help you need, and if something's gone wrong with your order, it makes you even more irritated.

Mobiles have pros and cons, and I get the point about not being able to switch off, but they're great for convenience and fantastic media devices.

I'd say it's some of the apps / functions that you can use on a phone are the culprits, e.g., social media. There are pros and cons, but overall, a world without SM would be a less chaotic world. Fair play to people who have come off of them all together.
I agree, it's very annoying. With Towers online chat for example, you actually have to type "real human" for it to direct you to one. If you don't know you have to do that you'll be going round in circles.

I blame Jumanji...

In all seriousness, that's absolutely vile, like some sort of suicide machine. There are already enough ways for people to end their own lives and lots of people trying far too frequently. That's just chilling.
I 100% agree, it really is vile. There is absolutely no point for it.

I think the headset that kills you if you die in the game is more of a joke or an art project than an actual proposed product, similar to the idea for the euthanasia roller coaster. The "if you die in the game/the matrix, you die in real life" is a pretty well-trodden sci-fi trope at this point, and I imagine the headset is just a mockup of what that might actually look like given current technology and the state of VR.

I just think it is more concerning the mindset of the person who has designed this VR headset. I mean, seriously, what’s wrong with a person to want to even design something like this.

He has even built in a failsafe so the person can’t take it off without being killed if they try and exit the game.

Stuff like this will only end up in the hands of dictatorships for torture methods, and those with mental health problems which I think the creator clearly has.

The bloke who designed this is a Trump-supporting ultra-libertarian in the Musk-lite mould, so undoubtedly a tosser as far as I'm concerned. Nonetheless, as he has explained in interviews, the headset is essentially a parody, "just a piece of office art, a thought-provoking reminder of unexplored avenues in game design".

It's telling that Palmer Luckey has already made a fortune from providing the tools for murder with underwater drones and advanced ammunition used in warfare, but it's his wacky concept games headset that has people shredding their teeth.

Personally, I think that most 21st century inventions have had a fairly positive impact on society (or at least, a more positive impact than some seem to think).

However, one thing that I must say I’m not too keen on is the increased emphasis on biometrics in certain things. I often seem to have encountered problems when using biometrics.

When last went to Universal Orlando in 2016, they did park entry using a fingerprint, and for some reason, mine often didn’t work, and I often had to reinitialise it upon entering a Universal theme park… let’s hope I don’t have the same issue when I return in 2023.

My biggest biometric struggle, however, was those passport e-gates that they now make you go through upon re-entry into the UK at most British airports (presumably… London Stansted had them, anyway). I made numerous attempts to make that work… I tried putting my head higher up and lower down, I tried putting my passport in again and again, but I could not get it to work for love nor money. I ultimately went to see a person, and that was far easier and quicker… I should add that it looked like I was far from the only one having problems, as well.

As much as I’m generally an embracer of the digital age, that experience has made me concede that some things are easier when done by a human being…