• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Malaysia

I like that, too often Lego Lands move away from theming that looks "Lego". In my head everything in a legoland should look built of Lego

Islander said:
Feast your eyes on this:

legolandmsia04.jpg

Beautiful :eek:

I wonder when they'll put that on sale? I can imagine the box for it will be pretty big! :p

I do think all things at Legoland should look like its made from Lego, like the majority of the old original stuff at Windsor (eg castle, entrance, etc), compared to the newer stuff which features very little lego, or even a lego look about it, eg rapids!

To be fair to them, things are definitely swinging back towards a very Lego look - just take a look at Atlantis and its subs, or the Hotel, or the Star Wars Miniland Experience entrance.

The design process if including Lego elements is harder, as everything must be precisely to scale, have precisely the correct colours, and then the whole lot must be approved by The Lego Group before it's signed off, but Windsor is pointing back in that direction, and clearly new attractions (like Malaysia) are also going down that route, which is good :)

This train reminds me of the Windsor Welcome Wagon. Although I haven't actually seen it I know it did exist during the early days of the park as it's in "The Ultimate LEGO Book" along with the plans they used to design it. I've only found one picture from a Google search:

legoland.jpg

BTW if anyone comes across the book I mentioned above it's a must read for Theme Park enthusiasts. It was released while they were planning Legoland California and as such is full of concept art and details of the planning process.

hobohippie95 said:
Would be nice to find a copy online.
Was about to say that it's still in print, but I'm massively wrong - a new copy seems to be going for a mere £1,104.64 on the Amazon Marketplace. Phew...

Anyway, I've got it, and got to echo what Tim said - it's a brilliant book, really does go into a lot of detail about the planning of Legoland California, and makes for a very interesting read.

Islander said:
hobohippie95 said:
Would be nice to find a copy online.
Was about to say that it's still in print, but I'm massively wrong - a new copy seems to be going for a mere £1,104.64 on the Amazon Marketplace. Phew...

Anyway, I've got it, and got to echo what Tim said - it's a brilliant book, really does go into a lot of detail about the planning of Legoland California, and makes for a very interesting read.

Fancy scanning it in and uploading it?

Isn't that slightly illegal?

I've still got my copy as well (and now even more determined to keep hold of it after hearing this :eek: ). I could copy one or two relevant pages but any more than that and I'd be treading dangerous water. I know that LEGO are really protective of their brand and property.

Anyway if you want a pre-owned one they are only £3.50

Tim said:
Isn't that slightly illegal?

I've still got my copy as well (and now even more determined to keep hold of it after hearing this :eek: ). I could copy one or two relevant pages but any more than that and I'd be treading dangerous water. I know that LEGO are really protective of their brand and property.

Anyway if you want a pre-owned one they are only £3.50

I'll have to have a look then, i have bookshelf's of books unread, will take a look to see if i own it at all, found an old legoland windsor visitor manual.

Screamscape said:
Fall 2012 - NOW OPEN - (11/1/12) According to this report Legoland Malaysia has been a success so far, bringing in over 250,000 guests through the park’s front gate since it opened on Sept. 15th, 45 days ago. They are happy to report being on target to their goal of attracting 1 million guests into the park during the park’s first year.

My Sinchew said:
Number of Legoland visitors exceed expectation

JOHOR BAHRU, Oct 31 (Bernama) -- Legoland Malaysia has proven to be a huge success to have attracted 250,000 visitors since its opening one-and-a-half months ago on Sept 15.

Chief executive officer of IDR Resorts Sdn Bhd, Muhammad Zainal Ashikin Muhammad Rejab, told Bernama the number of visitors has "exceeded expectations."

He said despite the good response, the company will still maintain its target of attracting one million visitors to the RM750 million theme park in the first year.

"We are maintaining the target and confident it will be met," he said. Muhammad Zainal Ashikin said the visitors comprised 55 per cent Malaysians and 45 per cent foreigners.

IDR Resorts Sdn Bhd is a project holding company for Legoland Malaysia. Muhammad Zainal Ashikin is also chief development officer of Themed Attractions and Resorts Sdn Bhd (TAR), a wholly-owned unit of Khazanah Nasional Bhd.

Legoland Malaysia theme park is owned by TAR and Iskandar Investment Bhd through IDR Resorts and operated by Merlin Entertainments Group.

On TAR's future project, Muhammad Zainal Ashikin said, besides the Puteri Harbour Family Theme Park which had its soft launch last weekend, the company would also concentrate on the Legoland Hotel and the Legoland Water Theme Park.

"The Legoland Water Theme Park and the hotel, both located adjacent to the Legoland Malaysia theme park, are slated to open next year and 2014 respectively," he said.

The Puteri Harbour Family Theme Park located in Nusajaya consists of the first Sanrio Hello Kitty Town outside Japan and the Little Big Club characters such as Angelina Ballerina, Barney, Pingu, Bob the Builder, Thomas and Friends.

"Nusajaya has become a playtime destination for all," said Muhammad Zainal Ashikin.

Besides Nusajaya, he said TAR also has also big plans for Desaru with the planned opening of Ocean Quest marine park and Ocean Splash water theme park, in 2015/16, he said.

The Legoland Malaysia theme park was inspired by the Danish toy bricks and divided into seven themed areas, comprising more than 50 million Lego bricks.

The 30.7-hectare theme park, located within Johor's administrative capital of Nusajaya, is the sixth worldwide after Denmark, UK, California, Germany and Florida.

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/79322

It's got me thinking. All the LegoLand parks so far have been built in secular/Christian countries. I wonder what changes they made to the format for a country that's overwhelmingly Islamic, does anyone know? :)

When I was in Malaysia, I remember riding a coaster as a single rider and a woman refusing to let me sit next to her for religious reasons. I wasn't quite prepared for that somehow! :)

According to this article, Legoland Malaysia are apparently going to try and attempt to build the world's longest lego snake to celebrate Chinese New Year. It will be made with around one million bricks, take 10 days to make and stretch from the entrance to Miniland.

Good to see that the number of visitors that park expected has been beaten too! :)

Screamscape said:
Park News - (10/21/13) Legoland Malaysia will open their brand new waterpark today according to this news report published on Sunday.

Didn't even know about this, but hooray!