• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg Trip Report

Marcus

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix
As I had my first trip to Liseberg at the beginning of July to the park for two days I wanted to do a little write up about it. We flew out from Stansted flying with Norweigian for the first time (really great airline, espeically for the price). We flew out to Landvetter airport which is lovely as it is surrounded by woodland and lakes giving a great view when coming into landing. The airport also had a much more chilled out atmosphere compared to most airports which puts you at ease.

The bus is very easy to catch as it is straight outside the door and (as I write this) the first stop you come to in Gothenburg has you pretty much outside the main entrance of the park making it a very nice park to visit as you don't have to deal with too much public transport if your not good at that kind of thing or the cost of renting a car.

The parks main enterance looks very impressive with an old design although we never used this enterance as we only walked by it on our way to our B and B. We stayed at Villa Balder which I can highly recommend, especially if your going in a pair (like we were) or pairs as the rooms look to only have two beds each but is a good price from what I saw when looking at hotels and is in an idea location just minutes away from the smaller enterance meaning we could pop back in the middle of the day if needed and was overall everything we needed for our trip.

The park is very picturesque especially as an amusement park normally don't have much in the way of themeing with large amounts of greenary, a river that runs through it and rides that seemed to be built into the landscape especially across the hillside. The park is far from massive but with there being a main strip that goes from one end of the park to the other with numerous attractions and stalls along it with various branch paths from it, the main ones being the pathway to Balders area and the elevators up the hill to Helix and Atmosfear. The park works on a token/ticket system, with us paying for a ticket that gave us a wrist band that lasted two days which you would show to a member of staff when you were near the end of the rides queue or about to get on the ride.

Speaking of Atmosphere the park had one of the happiest atmosphere's I have seen in a park with everyone really cheery and just out to have a good time. The staff were also great espeically those in the food outlets, we tried with our very limited Swedish but faired epicly but they all spoke great English, we had several comments on how polite we were which I explained we felt rode that our Swedish was not up to standard so the least we could do is be very polite in English.

The park has two of europes most highly regarded coasters in Europe with Helix the mack launch coaster and Balder the intamin wooden coaste along with Lisebergbanan (we kept refering to it as Liseburger van which in hindsight is a terrorable joke but for some reason we couldn't remember the real name when we needed to) which is a Schwarzkopf classic, Kanonen an intamin launch coaster along with a solid line up of flats that is apar if not better than Thopes flats lineup and has a traditional log flume and rapids.

Here is my feed back on the larger attractions:

Balder
Balder was our first ride of the trip as it was near the end of the park we had entered and we had walked past it outside the park and had both agreed to ride it first. The queueline has as you look to your right a number of pictures of different coasters across the world including the top of the strasophere in Vegas, Megaphobia, Grand National, Nemsis and Top Thrill Dragster to name a few which I though was really neat. As you queue play a video showing about loose objects which has really chilled out background music which I enjoyed but didn't seem like it related to a wooden coaster much.

The queueline goes underneath the ride which is awesome as at somepoints the ride raws right above your head which builds great tension and shakes the ground around you. They also had a number of water fountains in the queue which we seemed to be the only ones using but we wern't complaining as Swedens tap water is top notch and I can always do with a rehydration when at a park.

The Stations for all the coasters are somewhat a bit of a free for all after your wrist band or ticket have been handed in however there wasn't any shoving and push you just had free choice of what section of the ride you wanted to queue for. Because we were a two and weren't waiting to ride with anyone else we were very lucky with loads of people letting us get on infront of them so they could ride the following train it must of saved us a good chunk of time the number of times it happened which was great and happened on Balder at least a couple of times. The seats and restraints were good and did the job well, although I do prefer the design of GCI's millennium flyers especially with the side padding, not something a ride like Balder needs.

The ride itself is alot of fun with a ton of air time, so so much air time, infact over than the first drop which is somewhat intense that is the ride, with the corners not feeling intense at all but leading you into the next line of humps, which is in no way a bad thing as many a ride have got by on less elements like Stealth and Oblivion and what it does, it does very well. With seats to the back offering what felt like slightly less airtime but whipping you down the drops. The ride also feels very close like your always about to smake your hands (which are in the air throughout the entire ride to get the best feeling of floatyness). The tunnels look quite obvious but once on the ride seem to be over with very quickly but probably do do their job of containing some screams. Very enjoyable woodie and although I prefer the GCI's like Troy and Wodan it is very close to my ranking to Joris en de Drakk which probably narrowly edges it for now due to its dueling/ racing element.
We did a few night time rides which were even better as you don't see the dips as well as in the day and is a must do if you can stay late.

Our longest queue for balder was the first time we rode it which was still only 21 - 30 minutes as their queue time boards read which is nothing really. A really great coaster that made a great first impression and one we could'nt wait to work our way back round and onto.

Kanonen
With these two rides so close together it only made sense to go do Kanonen next. The ride looked to have a very unique looking layout compared to other intamin lauch coasters I have done, with a smaller launch followed by a small top hat, a loop, a heartline roll along with a good few twists mixed in. Similarly to Balder you queue underneath the ride however the queueline is not so flattering with it being just large kattle pens. Luckily we really only had the queue half of the end section of these kattle pens on our longest queue of the ride which was a relief as the sun always seemed to be beating down whenever we were in the queue for this ride.

The restraints were interesting as instead of Stealth and Ritas riggid cage like OTSR, these were looser straps which tightened once your were in position and the ride was ready to launch. Although not as good as having no shoulder restraints these were an improvement over Stealths and Ritas especially as someone who really does not get on with shoulder restraints theirs were a relief.

The rides launch section is short and although not as intense as other intamin launch has a hice kick to it. It then crawls across the top of the top hat before racing into the rest of the layout with the loop being a highlight along with the large banked turns. A decent smaller coaster that I at other smaller parks could be the star attraction it main draws from it that it has over helix would be its compressed layout and its more forceful launch, other than that it is rather over shadowed due to Helix, still far from a bad ride and I slightly prefer it to Rita. Not the star attraction but a nice side show that I am sure pre-Helix would of had a more starring role.

Lisebergbanan
The oldest coaster on park, Lisebergbanan must of been a thing of wonder when first built in 1987 as it has a real decent length to it, eats crowds alive and is the very definiton of a terrain coaster. In terms of themeing the station of Lisebergbanan compares favourably with Kanonen and Balder with a nicely decorated building with a train stop vibe. Funny thing was when we first went into the station going up the stairs as you look left you see the track and a mirror beyond it, it took me a couple of minutes to work out that it was a mirror as I was looking ahead trying to workout where the point was where you would cross over to teach that side of the queue, felt like quite an idiot when I realised :p .

The number of trains going round and the number of people each train can take means queues move very quickly and don't last long which is great, the operations were also very snappy on this ride which helps make it work at its true people eating capability.

As you turn left out of the station you are greeted with a whooper of lift hill, interested to know just how big the lift hill is if anyone knows? It is decorated with flags and at night is truely stunning with all its lights illuminating it and in the day offers a great view over to the Ullevi Stadium. The ride has no one massive drop but lots of smaller drop turns, into large helix elements which in spots can catch some speed and pack a punch. Due to it being closer to the ground it also feels probably quickier than it is and makes the turns and twists more noticeable.

A highlight of the ride would have to be the way it interacts with the other rides on the hillside with old especially the first drop going around Uppswinget. You do need to be ready when it brakes as although not the harshest ever, if you arn't paying attention they will catch you off guard, even when in the station!
One of the best family coaster I've been on with a good mixture of elements with some good thrill to it and a true jem of Liseberg with the ride probably being the best representation of the park rolled into one ride!

Part 2 will follow soon as I write my views of their flat rides, water rides and HELIX! :)

HELIX
Now for the coaster that was a real drawing point for our visit as I had seen the reviews saying how superb this coaster was and how it was one of the best in Europe, if not the World. We could see it from pretty much everywhere in the park as it raps around the hillside a tremendous number of times interacting other rides, particularly Lisegbanan and Uppswinget.

Helix's queueline design has a modern, neon kind of future vibe to it, with the mobile app offering some destraction whilst waiting although the queue was never very long. You also get nice glimpses of the ride as you follow round the queue with one of my favourite view points being in one part of the queue looking up slightly to the left you can see through and see the wheels of the coaster, features like this really help build the atmosphere as it felt like they were revealing the coaster bit by bit.

I had ridden Blue Fire last year so was familiar with the MACK launch/ mega coaster design, with Blue Fire being a really great ride, but in hindsight not quite living up to hype for me. Also with riding Wodan straight after Blue Fire, what I like in a coaster for me couldn't of been more apparent, it is as if the coasters are ying and yang, with Blue Fire being a smooth, soft and floaty experience whilst Wodan is a wooden, frantic, intense kind of ride with me much prefering the latter. This made me make sure not to go in with too high expectations as I felt this was obviously going to be more akin to Blue Fire than anything else I had ridden.

Once in the station area you can hear that great soundtrack which gets you very pumped for the ride! There is also great views down and out across the hill through the station front exit with the front row seating being spectacual, not even taking into account the front row ride.

On our first ride we hadn't had to wait long at all, probably 15 minutes so it almost felt like we hadn't had time to soak everything in before, BAM! we were on it exiting the station straight into the first corkscrew! The first ride itself seemed to fly by, even with the coasters longer than average track length with each element seeming to come and go before I could really take it in. It what was a bit on the blur we were all of a sudden already on the final inversion and then in the brake run. I felt it had been a good ride, better than Blue Fire but not that great, certainly not worthly of the accolades it has received. I remember turning to my friend and both declaring the ride to be "good" but both agreeing we had prefered Balder to it but looked forward to re-riding it.

On the second ride which was nearer the back we had a similar experience, enjoying it, but not loving it. It was only when we went on it a third time, this time front row that I really felt like HELIX showed me the goods. It was quite incredible really as after that third ride both myself and my friend were completely blown away, everything for some reason then seemed to come together, all the elements felt spectactular. The ride just has so many great moments
with it almost feeling like something MACK would do at Europa as an exhibition of what a MACK launch/ mega coaster can do. Elements thats were my favourite include the pretzel loop, the part after the inline twist but before the second launch which myself and friend declared Megamode as it seems to really kick into top gear round that section and the airtime hips which give one of the best feelings I have ever had on any coaster. All this is going on whislt you twist up and over not only the Helix's own track but also around various flat rides and Lisebergbanan which makes for really fantastic fly bys and interactions.

It was probably around the 5th ride that I knew that Helix was not just a great, great coaster but it was also my new favourite coaster which came as a real suprise, espeically considering how I wasn't wowed off my feet after my first ride unlike how I was after riding Wodan for the first time and by what I felt I had established as my "type" of coaster which as fantastic as Helix looked on paper, didn't meet it, shattered all of that thought process and after each ride my opinion of HELIX just kept rising, it has everything stunning views, a beautiful landscape, incredibly varied layout with numerious different inversions, a quite unique coaster start (at least unique to the rides I have ridden), its even better at night (which at a park like Liseberg getting a night ride is much more acheiveable due to their opening hours which really suited me), stunning to watch off ride, Smooth but also has intense sections, great trains (there chains are the best I have experienced), interacts with existing rides etc I could go on all day.

I couldn't recommend this coaster more, it is fantastic, defiently worth the trip alone, let alone it is in a lovely, well kept park like Liseberg. Photo's and videos don't do the ride any justice, and if you don't love it after the first time like I did, do try again, to say it grew on me is an understatement and aftrer 16 rides on it I still wanted more! It made me want to re-ride Blue Fire as i felt like my 2 rides on it last year couldn't of been enough to appreciate it which testament to how great this ride is, I am now even more excited about Blackpools 2018 coaster thanks to this ride.

This section on Helix went on longer than planned so I will type the flats and water rides as a third post, hope those who have been are enjoying the read and agree with some of the points made and for those who havn't been, do try to get out to Liseberg if you can its a splendid park!

Last edited:
I don't have quite as much to say about the water and various flat rides, so here is a brief summary of my views of them:
Aerospin
The first of these types of rides that I have done, a nice different type of flat giving more control to the riders wheather you want a nice gentle flight enjoying the views or you want a ballistic spin sesh/ The ride offers some great views as it is part way up the hill. The spinning seemed a little inconsistent, as on a couple of rides I struggled to spin once, but on one single ride both my self and friend got 40 plus spins, from what I've heard this is suppose to be harder to get spinning compared to aerospin however I don't know as I havn't done it all I can say is a little breeze really seemed to help once you had got the first spin out of the way.

Atmosfear
Atmosfear was somewhat obviously the first ride we saw as we arrived in Gothenburg, its a real beast and certainly had in intimidation factor going for it making me legitamately nervous before our first ride, however as many have said on here the drop isn't all that forceful and just as it seems to get some speed to stops when it is still way off from the floor, still very enjoyable offering the best views of any ride at the park and due to it having a gondala that doesn't spin has a nice element of re-rideablity as the different sides of the ride offer very different views. Due to the ride being up on the top of the hill near Helix it gave some vareity when re-riding Helix and when one of us needed the toilet when doing multiple rides on Helix we would go ride Atmosfear as the exit is very near the toilet. :)

Flume ride
Nice double loading station, only went on this one once as the queue seemed pretty stacked most the days due to the heat. Was't that impressive, good interaction with the other rides and somewhat lengthy, the two drops however seemed to come in quick succession.

Hanghai
Disko ride which was quite alot of fun and ran on a farely long sequence and didn't have a hump which I prefered as it ment it got up to speed quicker. It felt like we were always at the top side as it span which could of just been my imagination but I enjoyed this one alot more than I thought I was going to.

Jukebox
A ride that may not be the largest, fastest or most forceful flat but boy was it alot of fun! It reminded me of a twister but juiced up, definantly one of the best flat rides there and with the music adding alot to the feel of the ride. I would imagine a clone of this ride would of been great at Thorpe where they decided to put angry birds bumper cars as it would of fitted into Amity Cove's theme with a few minor ajustments but I digress. A ride that put a big fat smile on my face :D

Kallerado
The parks rapids is quite a unique one. It has some of the highest level of themeing of any ride at the park. The speed of the rapids is rather slow without any narrow straight sections to build up speed. The ride does have some very choppy sections that can occationally catch you off guard and give you a splash but from when we went on no real soakings. The ride does have numerous water effects that are pretty cool and can cause some sneaky soakings. The boats seem to get pumped out of the station really quickly which ment there was alot of interaction with other boars and overtaking thoughout the ride. The better of the two water rides but I would still take Congo River Rapids and Pirana way over this.

Mechanica
What a flat ride! Definantly one of the most varied flat rides that I have done this one definantly one of the parks top flats and the queues reflected this with wait times the longest at the park thoughout the day time and lucky dying down later in the evening/ night but even then this was'nt til probably gone 9. The ride can really whip you round if it catches the arm you are sitting on in the right location. Swinging over the river adds to the thrill and if your on the end of the arm then the chimney of the barn themeing building acts as a leg chopper. If you enjoy Samurai this was for me an improvement over it in pretty much everyway and a highlight of the trip, one of my new favourite flat rides.

Spinrock

Spinrock really wasn't anything special IMO. With the park having so many other varied flat rides this seemed to be a bit bog standard, it was decent but didn't give too many thrills and I found the restraints solid as rocks (no pun intended). A flatride that would be praised at this point in time at a park like Alton Towers as they are so deperately in need of something, but in a park like Liseberg Spinrock was only average for me.

Uppswinget
Rush is one of my favourite flat rides, Uppswinget like Rush is an S & S Scream & Swing but unlike Rush it has a much longer sequence which was always my main grip with Rush, is set on a beautiful hillside with coasters wrapped all around it and offers very different views depending on which side you sit, I prefered sitting facing out down the hill but both are great. Between this and Mechanica I can't choose which flatride is my favourite at the park, depending on if I feel like a more intense, wild ride or a floatly, smooth weightless feeling both are Liseberg Gems and help build the parks solid ride line-up.

Here is our ride count across the 2 days (although we did arrive half way through the first day):

Aerospin x 5
Atmosfear x 5
Balder x 6
Bumper cars x 1
Flume ride x 1
Hanghai x 2
Helix x 16
House of Mirrors x 1
Jukebox x 3
Kanonen x 3
Kallerado x 2
Lisebergbanan x 5
Mechanica x 3
Spinrock x 2
The Liseberg wheel x 1
Uppswinget x 5
Waltzer x 1
Wave swinger x 1
Regrettably we missed Ghasten Ghost Hotel, looks like I have to go back sometime, what a shame ;) We also tried to win one of those giant choclate bars several times, but failed miserably. We also spent some good time in the arcade which is triple storied and has some fantastic arcade games, they also have a medieval madness, a very highly regarded pinball machine in there which I sank a few Koronas into.

So there you go, Liseberg, a fantastic Park which out of the parks I've done only falls behind Europa and narrowly behind Efteling which for what is billed as just a "amusement park" is alot more. This high rating could also be down to the nature of the trip, which was with a friend rather than family, so the number of rides and time spent at the park was alot higher than I imagine it would of been if I had gone with family. This is somewhere I would love to go back to, along with Gothenburg and Sweden as a whole which I havn't expressed here and won't go into too much detail but we did spend a final day in the city which is stunning, with some of the most beautiful and friendly people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I can't recommend Liseberg more and I look forward to following their future developements.