• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Local meet-ups?

Laura

TS Member
Favourite Ride
blue fire Megacoaster
Apologies if this is the wrong subforum, it's not technically theme park related though!

Have there ever been any forum meets for people in a local area? Not at a theme park, just a fairly central meeting place (cinema/bowlplex type place maybe?)

I'm trying to find people locally I can actually meet up with rather than being stuck behind my monitor every evening. I'm sure I'm not the only nerd who spends lunchtimes fruitlessly trying to incite some form of excitement in their colleagues about inversions and secret elements and washing machines.

So, not sure the best way to go about this. I'm sort of assuming I'm not the only one who'd be interested in such a thing? If not, could we post our locations and some easily reachable places/cities near us and then take it to PMs or email to organise something?

I do feel a bit self-conscious suggesting this topic so go easy on me if you think it's a rubbish idea.

(Personally, getting to a meet any time before autumn might be difficult for me, so it would be nice to meet some of the more local TS members before then)

Incidentally, I'm in Cardiff, which is pretty easy to get to, but I can get to places like Bath/Bristol/Swansea quite easily by train.

There are always meet ups going on here, although admittedly the vast majority are theme park and/or Merlin related. But then, lots of people on here are also friends in real life, having met on the official meets and the like. I'd highly recommend getting yourself to some of the meets as they are a great, no-pressure way of getting to know people. I went to my first meet in February, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Whilst I can't say whether non-theme park meets would be happening around Cardiff, one website I can definitely recommend if you're looking for that sort of thing is Meetup. It lets people who have similar interests get together and arrange different activities: http://www.meetup.com/

The issue with local meet ups is that it quickly becomes a very familar group of people who migrate to the event, at which point it is no longer local to most of them. TST mini-meets seem to be pretty common and welcoming, however it makes sense that they are usually focused around a specific attraction or a smaller park.

In the past I've found the best way to meet new geeks is to throw myself into a large official meet. I pick a few people from the forum who I seem to get on well with and ask if I can leach onto them for the day whilst they show me the ropes (I hate showing up anywhere on my own,) I offer lifts to the event to everyone under the sun, then I try and stay late or ideally overnight so I can hang with the resident alcoholics. It doesn't always work but most of the time I find that I connect with at least a couple of people.

This will be my approach for my first TST meet anyway!

I'll have to check out that link later Ashlee, looks intersting. I did spend a while looking for something exactly like that a couple of years ago but I didn't have much luck.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Getting to meets is a big problem when you don't drive! And I wouldn't expect strangers to offer me rides anywhere without having met me first.

Maybe we just need a 'where do you live' topic so those so inclined can harass more local members? You just have to skim through the 'I feel down' topic to see that a handful of meets a year just doesn't cut it for us 'social misfits'!

I am not sure the Meet Up site is quite what I had in mind but I will take a look at it later, so thank you :)

Most members have their location on their profile, but an interactive map of members could be an interesting project.

I consider some people on TST my best friends; and i meet up with them on a regular basis. Especially ones that live close to/or have easy access to me. I've met up with TST members for dinner, bowling, cinema and laser quest just to name a few.

Just because we met on a forum doesn't make them any less of a friend. :)

Look around the forum for people in your area and get to know em'. Or just try and get yourself down to an official meet ASAP and meet us all. ;)

Thanks Delta, I did have a quick look for such a topic but must've missed it. Clearly a few others did as there's a few new posts today :)

Meet up's are always difficult for me due to me living further up north. ;)

It doesn't help at times than even when my schedule issues does allow me to head down south, I'm either too early or too late for any meet up. Unless there is a Scottish meet up at Crapland M&D's which I would be certian to come round.