• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Eye - Open Until Midnight During Summer

T

TS Member
Just saw this appear in my Newsfeed. Brilliant move by Merlin to do this!

Did you know we're open until midnight this summer? You can see London after dark like never before for two weeks only! Book now for this once-in-a-lifetime experience from just £17

It's for two weeks only, but it seems like a fantastic chance to get some night photography of London! More information can be found here - http://www.londoneye.com/Summer2012/

AstroDan said:
Standard flight £18.90?

Got to laugh.
Stupid price, agreed, but I daresay with it coinciding with the Olympics, they'll get many a tourist opt for a 'flight'!

Indeed. And they'll all go home thinking how much of a rip off London is.

Eiffel Tower is €8.50 (£7.00) for the 2nd level or €14.00 (£11.50) for the top.

;)

AstroDan said:

;)
London IS a rip off! In direct comparison, as you point out, it's a monumental difference in price. They will, no doubt, like I did, come off feeling a little underwhelmed. I felt so even after using my Annual Pass, so I dread to think what the paying public feel!

I will, however, be visiting during these two weeks, as it seems a fantastic chance to see London at night! I've been onboard 7-8 times this past week, relaxing, doing my work, & it's always interesting to hear other guests views & thoughts on the experience! A lot genuinely do feel ripped off!

Will certainly be nice to experience London at nighttime (and perfect photo opportunities!) but it's a brilliant money-making scheme from Merlin for when the Olympics bring in all the tourists.

This has actually made me want to go to London. I love the city at night so it would be amazing to see it from The Eye.

A last minute opportunity to grab money by Merlin, has actually worked in my favour for once. What's happening?

Benedique said:
This has actually made me want to go to London. I love the city at night so it would be amazing to see it from The Eye.

A last minute opportunity to grab money by Merlin, has actually worked in my favour for once. What's happening?
I was wondering the same. It works in my favour, what's going on?!

I am looking forward to some nice Night scenes over London!

Great move I think by merlin I can see this been very popular unlike merlins park they arnt cutting the hours there increasing very unlike current merlin

Interesting idea. Though seems everyone's forgetting that it's perfectly possible to see London at night from the Eye for large chunks of the year anyway - for instance, September-December the eye's open until 8:30pm, so well past dusk.

Obviously they are doing this to cash in on the Olypics - no doubt it will make them a good wee bit of proft! I'm pretty sure most people (tourists) etc will be at events etc during the day, so are more likely do to this kind of thing in the evening and at night!

Also you can't beat the sky/skyline on a summers night - will provide some lovely views!

T said:
AstroDan said:

;)
London IS a rip off! In direct comparison, as you point out, it's a monumental difference in price. They will, no doubt, like I did, come off feeling a little underwhelmed. I felt so even after using my Annual Pass, so I dread to think what the paying public feel!

I will, however, be visiting during these two weeks, as it seems a fantastic chance to see London at night! I've been onboard 7-8 times this past week, relaxing, doing my work, & it's always interesting to hear other guests views & thoughts on the experience! A lot genuinely do feel ripped off!

I would use my AP however I have just remembered that the London Eye is excluded from Standard MAPs in August. Sneaky!

Standard Merlin Annual Passes do not include:

August entry to London attractions
Entry to The EDF Energy London Eye, Madame Tussauds London, the London Dungeon and the SEA LIFE London Aquarium during August

All this despite Vainey going on about how badly the Olympics will affect his business. The man's a four-letter word and doesn't give a damn about any of the other benefits such an event brings to the country or the city. He should consider that a billion people will probably see his beloved London Eye on TV over the course of the Games.

Standard Merlin Annual Passes do not include:

August entry to London attractions
Entry to The EDF Energy London Eye, Madame Tussauds London, the London Dungeon and the SEA LIFE London Aquarium during August
[/quote]

I completely forgot about this limitation! I may have to upgrade my Standard pass to a Premium.

It's sad that what should be a national treasure is owned by Merlin (yes, I do realise it's always been owned by Merlin/Tussauds in one way or another) so that they can charge an extortionate fee to price Londoners out of the occasional trip on it.

The French wouldn't let a private company own the Eiffel Tower, neither the Chinese and the Great Wall.