• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ma Wan Park - Hong Kong

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
OK - I have found this Theme Park in Hong Kong, I do not know if anyone has seen it before - it is lacking in thrill rides, ie: It has none, though apparently that was not meant to be the case.

Firstly - The incredible ark. 450ft Long. 75ft Wide, and the focus of Ma Wan Park. According to the source http://www.hongkongextras.com/_noahs_ark.html

Ma Wan Park was 15 years in the planning and was originally intended to be a commercial theme park with a large number of rides. However in order to minimise the overlap in concept with nearby Hong Kong Disneyland which opened in 2005 and also to conserve vegetation and preserve the setting of Ma Wan Old Village the developer subsequently proposed the park be developed with the theme of “Naturally Hong Kong” with the emphasis on retaining and refurbishing the existing structures in Ma Wan and conservation of the natural environment and cultural heritage. Plans based on this new concept were approved in 2003. However Phase 1, costing an estimated HK$700 million, which was scheduled to be completed in June 2006 and comprises “Noah’s Ark ”,“ Nature Garden” and “Solar Tower”, ran behind schedule with the Nature Garden opening in July 2007 and Noah’s Ark in May 2009.

Here is a link to the park: http://www.noahsark.com.hk/eng/index.php

And a couple of pictures:

noah-ark-HK.jpg

The windows below are actually a restaurant.

The Ark is situated just in front of the Tsing Ma Bridge, which apparently is in fact the 8th longest spanning suspension bridge. Here is a rather evocative evening photograph of this magnificent structure (clearly, sans ark):

Tsing_Ma_Bridge_2008.jpg

And, to put this into perspective now - here is the Ark construction in front of it.

filename-ark-small-jpg.jpg

So yes, apparently this was going to be a biggie until Hong Kong Disneyland, which put the kibosh on this being an all out Theme Park.

None the less, the Ark, the park attractions, and the interesting Solar Tower would still make this worth a family visit.... on the way to sample Disneyland Hong Kongs finest of course! ;D

Anyway, something a little different, just found it interesting that this is what was happening in plans prior to Disney. Hope you enjoyed it!

TheMan

A creationist theme park? Just what the world needs. The world's most populous country and most powerful dictatorship becoming a radical fundamentalist state. :p

Actually dude, technically Hong Kong is a unique state of China.

Aside from Defense and Foreign Affairs, it is largely recognised as an independent state. Maintaining it's own judiciary, economical and political autonomy.

Of course, there is also the matter, that if you research ancient cultures, you will find many reporting a great flood as an historical fact. So regardless of whether or not, the Noah story has been woven into the fabric of the biblical teachings, there are reports of such predating this by some margin - meaning that there may well have been, a very real "Ark", at some long since forgotten age of humanity.

On saying that, I really only posted the park due to the fact, it was almost that and not Disney that got built! I also think the sheer size involved deserved recognition as an attraction in its own right, it certainly would have made a fantastic log flume, with extraordinary throughput levels, with a gondola of that magnitude ;D.

EDIT: Imagine the ORP!

TheMan said:
Of course, there is also the matter, that if you research ancient cultures, you will find many reporting a great flood as an historical fact. So regardless of whether or not, the Noah story has been woven into the fabric of the biblical teachings, there are reports of such predating this by some margin - meaning that there may well have been, a very real "Ark", at some long since forgotten age of humanity.

A real "Ark"? You think it is remotely possible for two of every living creature on the face of the planet to be put on a single vessel? We couldn't even achieve that today with the help of all our modern technology, let alone in ancient times. There have been great floods in history but it's a completely illogical, irrational and unevidenced jump to make that a human being was capable of anything comparable to the ridiculous feats that the bible depicts.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick to what your saying but it seems that you are defending what is logically indefensible?

As for these kinds of attractions of a religious nature, whilst part of me is somewhat horrified by their indoctrinating mission, the other part of me enjoys them. I like the fact that these tall tales are consigned to a medium of entertainment which is traditionally used to indulge in flights of fantasy and the creation of fictional experiences. Seems somewhat apt.

A real "Ark"? You think it is remotely possible for two of every living creature on the face of the planet to be put on a single vessel? We couldn't even achieve that today with the help of all our modern technology, let alone in ancient times.

That may well be true, I did not say that the biblical depiction was factually accurate - what I did state, was that there is a line that passes down through humanities history, with tales of a great flood. The bible has also been mistranslated, and sullied by the hand of man for thousands of years.

You may also wish to research evidence that the Sphinx has in fact, suffered major water damage over the years - suggesting at one point it was actually... yes... UNDER WATER.

Not only this, but if we can build the Pyramids as a species somewhere approaching 3000BC (with some researching suggesting thousands of years PRIOR) - then yes, someone can build a freaking boat to put some animals on! To clarify, I am not suggesting the Noah story is FACT, but potentially a "borrowed" story of a much greater time in humanities existence.

BUT the reason I posted this article, was I found it's size pretty kool, and that it was a pre-cursor to Disney. I seem to have attracted a lot of anti-religious (well, Christian) sentiment as a result!

So, in order to achieve balance - I present to you, Mystery Park Theme Park:

(For convenience, I ran it through a translator first)
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... park.ch%2F

Originally built to show the link between Extra terrestrials and Human kind - and following a different interpretation of texts, you can learn about how we were imparted with wisdom, ancient technologies surpassing what we believe to have been possible. In the interests of defending our ancient cultures, and their ability to perhaps - make a big boat - have a look at what 21 centuries ago, people were plotting the sky with....

The Antikythera Mechanism

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpLcnAIpVRA[/youtube]

There have been great floods in history but it's a completely illogical, irrational and unevidenced jump to make that a human being was capable of anything comparable to the ridiculous feats that the bible depicts.

Sorry mate, see above. There are many incredible mysteries, that over the course of time, science and dating actually makes MORE mysterious. Though this was not my intention of this thread, quite the opposite in fact - I would suggest giving our ancestors far more credit, I have researched humanities history for many years now, from an open minded standpoint - free of religious OR any other form of indoctrination (including media/reductionist science etc).

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick to what your saying but it seems that you are defending what is logically indefensible?

I'm saying, there is far more to our history than we realise, and that is a rather front loaded statement if ever I saw one (either, I have mistakenly suggested something, or that my point has no validity - both of which, are factually incorrect to clarity). There are multiple references across multiple cultures, separated by thousands of miles/oceans/continents that share these same "fables" - not in fact, juxtaposed, any many would believe. There ARE many historical facts in biblical texts, quite a lot have since been explained by potential natural Earthly events. Personally, I find this fascinating, as this is how we came to be who we are, I am speaking of humanities greater history - not of one text/belief/theory.

If we aren't open to being aware of OUR own TRUE historical nature, and knowing who we really are (and indeed, have been), then how are we as a species supposed to learn from our mistakes. Or perhaps our ignorance of these facts, are helping humanity live better lives, in a more peaceful and productive world? ......

As for these kinds of attractions of a religious nature, whilst part of me is somewhat horrified by their indoctrinating mission, the other part of me enjoys them. I like the fact that these tall tales are consigned to a medium of entertainment which is traditionally used to indulge in flights of fantasy and the creation of fictional experiences. Seems somewhat apt.

I agree here - except for the fact, I feel you are letting your own belief system stand in the way of revealing the true marvels of our history - some of which, is indeed stranger than anything a theme park can dream up! (Including the rather, intriguing shall we say, Mystery Park!)

Anyway - The point of topic was, the magnificent structure for hotel/attraction/eateries (unless you prefer, snooze boxes), and more interestingly, the fact that this was a precursor to Disney.

Oh and just to clarify something else, I believe China practices predominantly Buddhism and Taoist principles, along with I-Ching principles that dates back approximately 7000 years if memory serves. Christian being a late comer, and certainly not defining China as a Christian country, in actual fact I believe China is officially atheistic and religious worship actually discouraged due its communist stature. (There are varying degrees of info on this, but I think we can safely count out creationist indoctrination as a valid reason for their Ark attraction!)

Don't make me get the textbooks out ;D

Anyway, I hope some of you enjoy the info (especially the Antikythera device) - a bit off and on topic - not my intention, but had to defend my post and reasoning there, apologies.

TheMan

Can I just delete my post so we can pretend this never happened?

When someone posts a :p it normally means they aren't looking for a politics lesson or a debate about history, religion or whether some fictional boat could ever have existed (spoiler-it couldn't).

As you were.

I did also add my own ;D after talking about it's suitability as a flume vehicle.

I have noticed though, that ignorance seems to reign here in regards to this matter. As I posted a picture of an Ark in a theme park, related to Disney - it attracted so far, two rather sarcastic, and uninformed replies, to a new member of this forum.

Not to mention the fact, that both of you seem to feel your "facts" are correct, when as pointed out multiple times - this story PRE DATES the biblical texts on the matter, and is prevalent across multiple continents and sub cultures dating back thousands of years.

You don't like the fact it is in the bible? History doesn't care. It is woven far beyond biblical times, like many other stories included - many of which our ancient ancestors recorded as HISTORY. It is only arrogance nowadays, that eschews those writings, and makes a mockery of our ancestry.

I do not believe, they were THAT stupid, and find it offensive that we do not afford them a greater respect - I believe it is a MYTHICAL story, but based on a ancient truth, reaching this conclusion - as many others HAVE - by RESEARCH, and not just stating "it didn't happen" - as guess what? It's likely that in some form, IT DID, as anyone whom performs the most cursory of research will also discover!

What is more - it IS actually fascinating.

Doesn't matter how old or common the story is. There's no way a boat built by primitive civilisations could build a boat big and strong enough to carry two of every species. Plus, what would they eat?

My post was a joke. You don't have to be so offended that I generalised Hong Kong as being 100% part of China.

Blackpool has had a Noah's Ark for ages and it never stirred up this kind of debate. I'd hate to think what you'd all say and do if you came across a toddler playing with a Fisher Price version.

It's not a monument advocating creationism or attempting to discredit the theory of evolution. It was built for a theme park as a bit of fun and is based on a story that everyone knows. That's all there is to it.

Blaze said:
Doesn't matter how old or common the story is. There's no way a boat built by primitive civilisations could build a boat big and strong enough to carry two of every species. Plus, what would they eat?

My post was a joke. You don't have to be so offended that I generalised Hong Kong as being 100% part of China.

Firstly OF COURSE it matters how common a recording of history is! Particularly when it spans multiple continents and civilisations - and I didn't say it carried two of every species. Like I say, I believe it PART mythological and part historical, being that of history passed down through many thousands of years.

I also wasn't offended that you generalised Hong Kong, that's a bit disingenuous - I was pointing out that it is quite impertinent to our "primitive" ancestors. Clearly, you didn't watch the vid on the Antikythera Device, or any of note on the spectacular achievements of the Great Pyramid, the Library of Alexandra, or Plato's recollections of Atlantis as some very conspicuous examples of precisely why our ancestry was anything BUT primitive.

I still cannot quite fathom how I am involved in this debate, none the less I am, and I am only referencing detailed research in my answers NOT personal opinions.

CGM said:
Blackpool has had a Noah's Ark for ages and it never stirred up this kind of debate. I'd hate to think what you'd all say and do if you came across a toddler playing with a Fisher Price version.

It's not a monument advocating creationism or attempting to discredit the theory of evolution. It was built for a theme park as a bit of fun and is based on a story that everyone knows. That's all there is to it.

I thought the effort that went into the "Ark" was worthy of some praise on a Theme Park forum lol! I daren't reference Blackpool in it's defense.

I also as I said in both, found it quite fascinating that this theme park was scaled right down, so as not to encroach on the landscape given the impending arrival of Disney Hong Kong. It's not something I had seen before on the forums, and thought it might be of a bit of interest, so thank you for your reply :) - it was a quick article, with what I thought were a few nice pictures lol!!

Beware of those mind controlling creationist indoctrinating Fisher Price Arks though eh? ;) - They should have a warning attached...

MAY CAUSE RELIGIOUS BIGOTRY OR BRAINWASHING!

;D

woah, this place looks weird, im off to hong kong next week, so i had a look, but tbf i think i can live without seeing a replica of the arc 'just as its depicted in the bible' ;)

Disney there's ok but ocean park's better :p