• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin International Midways: General Discussion

Tussauds' apology after disability gaffe

Leisure bosses have apologised to a wheelchair user who says he was told to ‘prove’ his disability while holidaying in Blackpool.

Liam Maxwell, 26, who has cerebral palsy and scoliosis, says he was asked to ‘provide ID to prove he was disabled’ by staff at Madame Tussauds Blackpool while paying for a ticket on Saturday with his assistant, Wendy Plant. Liam, who lives in Stoke-on-Trent, said: “We sort of looked at each other in disbelief. Was the fact that I was in a wheelchair not proof enough?” The pair were also told by staff that they would only be able to explore the ground floor of the waxworks exhibition, as Liam could not use his wheelchair in the lift for ‘health and safety’ reasons. But Liam says he visited the attraction in June 2017 and was able to access the upper floors in his chair at that time. He said: “I felt a bit dejected. This is something I have come to expect as a wheelchair user – I’ve had all sorts of problems getting on and off public transport – but it is not something I would expect from a big company like Merlin.”

He added that he returned to Madame Tussauds the following day to complain and was offered a free drink as an apology.

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/business/tussauds-apology-after-disability-gaffe-1-9050696

Oh dear, I can see both points of view, common sense says you shouldn't need to ask a wheelchair user, especially one with cerebral palsy, for proof of their disability (I assume this relates to the generous concession Merlin give of free entry for Carers which conveniently isn't mentioned, hey try getting that at Paulton's Liam, I can tell you now, you won't) but on the other hand Merlin hands are tied and they must by law ask for proof from ALL applicants otherwise they fall foul of disability discrimination rules (yes, that's really a thing, asking for proof from one but not another is discrimination in itself) plus there are certain aspects of society who will honestly have no issue with borrowing granny's wheelchair to blag free entry to these places so as nuts as it may seem to some people, they must ask and the rule is the same for everybody. I have absolutely no issue with being asked for proof, what about you @RoyJess?

But as ever, the facts are being ignored in favour of Merlin bashing and hysterical headlines.

Last edited:
Any one can purchase a wheelchair, walking stick etc....

Its a shame that when you disability that you don't get a credit card size ID saying that you have a disability (with an expiry date of course) would also help those with hidden disabilities. Many places accept Blue badges as proof of disability, but what use is that if you need to leave your blue badge on show in the car for parking?

We have only been ask for proof of disability once, this was at Oakwood Theme park and they wouldn't accept the blue badge as proof, this was 10 years ago.

We now carry photo copies of our DLA, Blue badge (you are not suppose to photo copy your blue badge, but we have and we write across the photo copy the words "Photo Copy, not to be use for parking"), medical records and GP letters.

Pleasurewood hills on the other hand a few years ago, wouldn't allow us to purchase a non disable entry ticket as we had a voucher which worked out cheaper than disable and carer ticket. They said we could only purchase a disable ticket as my wife was disabled.