• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin series 5 is Back

Noonie99

TS Member
Hi all,
We are big Merlin fans in our house (the tv programme not the company..!!) and cannot wait for tomorrow night for series 5! Any other big Merlin fans on here?

I really enjoyed the last series. I was shocked when they decided to kill Uther only 4 episodes in (rather than in some cliché way at the start or the end) and the series seemed to just keep getting better from there. So am looking forward to this one.

I desperately hope they don't return to the Merlin turning into an old man storyline again. It always seemed so facetious and had that edge of humour that was so ill fitting to the circumstances.

I do love Merlin though, it's the best series the BBC has produced since Tennant Dr Who and Robin Hood.

I've loved it since the first series but I do think that after so many good series, there will be a slide. The fights aren't cheesy and special effects aren't that bad and even a bit of humour in there for good measure makes perfect Saturday night viewing. I much prefer it to Doctor Who as I feel I can connect with the main characters more... and giggle every time "Merlin" is mentioned. Interesting to see how Arthur will cope with the throne this season, though.

They really need to reinvent the villains - Morgana is becoming a tiresome figure. They seem to be stretching out the plotlines further and further when really they should just be creating new characters to keep things fresh.

I think they are trying to stick to the story within the book.. Morgan being the enemy etc.
I'm sure there will be some more evil chractors.. thats how it started was every week was someone trying to get Uther. But I think thats a valid point as well, Arthur is a fair king, Uther wasn't, so the only real enemy that Arthur has is Morgana becuase she feels she has a right to the kingdom and the throne..
Just a theory..
I love love love it though!!

I think the main problem with Morgana is that the actress playing her isn't very good at being a villain. She's got better, but when she first turned evil a couple of series back it was really noticeable how unconvincing she was.

If she was better at playing a villain then this wouldn't be a problem. A well written bad guy with a real talent for acting evil can quite easily come back again and again and never lose their charm. In some cases they can even become more interesting than the protagonist.

Tim said:
I think the main problem with Morgana is that the actress playing her isn't very good at being a villain. She's got better, but when she first turned evil a couple of series back it was really noticeable how unconvincing she was.

If she was better at playing a villain then this wouldn't be a problem. A well written bad guy with a real talent for acting evil can quite easily come back again and again and never lose their charm. In some cases they can even become more interesting than the protagonist.

Nathanial Parker as Agravaine was brilliant - he was the perfect actor to choose for such a role. I just hope they can live up to his standards in regards to new villains this season.