• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Mind the gap – My very first little UK tour

Doxical

TS Member
Favourite Ride
F.L.Y.
My first time traveling alone to another country and my first visit to two of UK's biggest theme parks. Travel went smoothly (regarding flight, train and taxi). My trip was two weeks ago and I got semi quit days at the parks. If you haven't read my other thread I was one day (monday) at Thorpe Park and two days (wednesday and thursday) at Alton Towers.
And special shoutout to @Connor98

Thorpe Park

The journey to get to the park via train and shuttle bus went really well. The parking lot was very empty by the time I got there. After going through security and ticket check I went left side towards Saw. Walking past the closed Colossus. Ride staff at Saw told the visitors that the coaster is closed and it will open later. I went straight to Nemesis Inferno and queued for first row (~15 min). I didn’t know about the part before the lift hill and it was quite relaxing for a start. I really enjoyed this ride and I was a bit sad that it was over.
The single rider at Saw was blessing. Got two rides after another without queueing again. I liked the heartline roll(?) over the dead body and its water effect. The layout was good but a bit short.
Disadvantage being a single person: Waiting for odd numbers of riders for the Walking Dead bc the ride cannot handle one person in a seat (for some reason). For about 15 minutes only 2 or 4 riders walked in the queue and the ride employee couldn’t pair me with someone. Until five teenagers arrived and I got together with this group.
I find the experience from Black Mirror more immersive and atmospheric than The Walking Dead.
I was quite surprised to find the old ride the Slammer standing behind Black Mirros queue. I didn’t know it was SBNO.
Stealth's launch was very punchy. Furthermore that is probably the only coaster of this kind I will do. Dragster or Kingda Ka are too tall for my liking. Especially the drop part is too scary for me.
My fav TP ride is the Swarm. Very smooth, fun inversions, good setting. I think I like the left side a bit more. I also like the song (from the soundtrack?) I heard in this area. Something about the end of the world. Need to find this on youtube.

Ride count:
Nemesis Inferno 3x
Stealth 2x
The Swarm 4x (both sides)
Saw 4x

One time only and minor attractions:
Black Mirror
The Walking Dead
Tidal Wave
Storm Surge
Zodiac (2x)
Quantum
Detonator

Top 3:
The Swarm
Nemesis Inferno
Saw The Ride

Alton Towers:

I stayed at the Chained Oak B & B. Thank you guys for the recommendation! I liked this location very much. The next time I would come back here. The only weird part was the walk to the theme park. Walking up a little hill and climbing over a fence.
The Smiler was one of my biggest reasons to make this trip. It’s the ride that got me more interested in roller coasters (back in 2018) and my motivation to lose my fear of inversions. Before my first ride I had a bit of concern I would not like it. Maybe too rough and too uncomfortable. Thank god that didn’t happen. Yes, it’s not the smoothest, but it’s totally durable. The inversions I like the most are the ones by the batwing part (both sections). I also noticed you can still see the left overs of “corrected” at the “half way”-break run. More noticeable on the left. I only did single rider and I waited no more than 10 minutes. Except one time, but the reason for this was a sudden downtime and I left the queue myself after 15 minutes. The most merch I’ve brought was Smiler merch. I would have liked a hoodie as well, but I was too mean to pay 40+ pounds for a little Smiler logo on the front.
I was surprised how hidden Th13teens track was. You really can’t see it in the queue line. Only while riding Rita. I can imagine riding Th13teen during scarefest in the dark must be really fun. The drop track was nice. It feels like a little drop tower for kids (I think that’s what they were aiming for. Not too intense or tall). I think the tunnel afterwards was missing theming. It felt bland.
I’m familiar with Rita’s layout (I rode Desert Race previously), but Rita’s surrounding was way better. Other than that, it’s very mediocre.
The Curse at Alton Manor was a really enjoyable dark ride. As a little kid I got easily scared. That one would have killed me. Following the story was a bit confusing. I think you need more rides to fully understand what’s going on. Then again maybe that’s not important and it’s supposed to be a simply scary experience.
I find Galactica very relaxing except for the lie to fly part (is this the right name for this element?). I was a bit worried it would be rougher, but that was not the case. FLY at Phantasialand is still better tho. A bid sad the mist effect of the gate wasn’t working.
It’s a shame I missed Nemesis. I would’ve probably liked it very much. But now I can look forward to the new one (and Project Horizon).
I had more fun with Spinball Whizzer than I have thought. I just wish the restraints would be a bit more comfortable.
For Wicker Man I got first row the first time and second time last row (what are the odds?). The ride is forceful and fast. I still liked it but I wouldn’t rate is as my top 10 of all times. The theming is good tho. One time I was seated with a teacher followed by her primary school class. I hope they didn’t buy the photo pass and I ended up in some UK classroom on the wall sitting next to the teacher.
Please remain seated aka River Rapids. The only good part and theming is the interaction with the Mine Train. And the rubber duck. I was seated with three strangers and one of them got pretty wet, surprisingly.
I encountered the actors/entertainment staff on my second day. Someone was cheering for everyone who got through the ticket gates. And the actors in the Alton Manor area who were in character. Nice little addition.
So much walking. First the walk up to the park from the Chained Oak and then the large space between rides. Getting to another ride from Galactica’s location was time consuming. I hadn’t even the energy to get back to FV on the first day so I did Galactica only one time. The second day I started in FV so I rode Galactica two times. And it was a good decision to visit two days so I can do more re-rides and flat rides I wanted to do but hadn’t had the time during the first day.
On my first day I barely took a break and ate something. I wanted to do every major coaster in case they broke down before I am able to ride it. Therefore, I was very tired and hungry after 4 pm. The second day I took more care of myself and I have felt better.
Other things I didn’t like: a) The 4pm closure except Towers Street location (like what the hell? Don’t they want my money for food? I would have bought something to eat after the coasters closed. Btw I know about the roller coaster restaurant and the few Tower Street stalls with snacks but I hope you know what I mean). b) The Oblivion soundtrack. c) The sensor flushing toilets. They flush when I’m sitting and don’t flush when I have finished and wiggle/touch/do everything with my hand in front of the sensor! d) The Alton Towers soundtrack CD wasn’t available (the Imascore only version from 2020).
Activities I didn’t do bc lack of time were the Sea Life aquarium, the gardens and the towers.

Ride count (both days)
Smiler 7x
Galactica 3x
Wicker Man 4x
Th13teen 3x
Rita 2x
Oblivion 4x
Spinball Whizzer 2x
Runaway Mine Train 1x

Flat rides (mostly one time):
Funk’n’Fly
Twistatron
Curse at Alton Manor
Gangsta Granny
Congo River Rapids

Top 3:
Smiler
Galactica
Wicker Man

1685272764974.jpg
1685272824672.jpg
1685272889732.jpg
1685272838377.jpg
1685273920956.jpg
1685272978674.jpg
1685274001897.jpg
1685273976581.jpg
1685274023115.jpg
1685274317768.jpg
1685274049688.jpg

I know the construction photos aren’t up-to-date anymore, but I still wanted to include them.
1685272864039.jpg

1685273900754.jpg
1685273961845.jpg

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the UK! A that was a great read. A shame we couldn’t meet up due to my work commitments but glad I could help with some advice here and there. And I’m sure you’ll be able to get back and do Nemesis one day when it reopens😁

Glad you enjoyed your trip !

This is the song from The Swarm. It was playing quite loudly today but unfortunately none of the other theming / videos on the ride were 'on' which is unfortunate.

I believe the walking dead can't have solo riders as if someone rode on their own the restraint on the empty seat would be so low down a solo rider could get out of their restraint.
Walking Dead was even more awkward last year before there was a single rider queue, odd numbered groups had to wait to be paired with another odd numbered group in order to be able to ride. We were a three paired with a 5 I think and one poor woman got separated from her friends in the preshow and ended up stuck with us nerds! 😄

Glad you had a good trip @Doxical, hope you're able to make another trip for Nemesis once it's back up and running!