• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Mini European Road Trip 28/7 - 4/8

Vik

TS Member
In age old tradition it was time for myself and Dave to take another Summer vacation, or at least I think it was Summer 🙄

Looked in to many options, but was keen to get some use out of our Europa Park passes before they expired at start of August. After eventually settling on Europa Park and then realising that flights were stupidly expensive, it then became a road trip as the Ferry crossing from Dover was reasonably priced. Thus, as well as EP ,added on Parc Asterix to sample Toutatis and also Plopsa for a bit more Ride to Happiness. Ideally would of liked to of gone to these parks before EP but, expiring passes and all that rendered that out of the question due to how my holidays fell.

Finally set off from the sunny delights of North West of England around 20:00 on 27/7, arrived at Daves former/current (delete as appropriate, as it hasn't been sold yet) conveniently placed apartment in Purfleet around midnight for a couple of hours rest before continuing on to Dover around 3AM for a ferry over to Calais at 6AM.

Passport control and check in was swift, so much so they we were booked on to the earlier crossing of 04:40 which was running 50 minutes late (as was the 6AM). Today we were travelling with Irish Ferries, which we jokingly gave to name of Ryanair of the high seas.

IMG_5297.JPEG

Crossing was pretty decent, but costs on board were extortionate. Almost £10 for a sandwich and a coffee 😲

Arriving in Calais for around 8:30AM, set off on the 6 1/2 hour trek towards Europa Park, which was a combo of toll & non toll roads. After a couple of false starts, with the Sat Nav seemingly directing us to the 100% non toll route with a suggested journey time of over 8 hours (err no thanks!!), finally on to the correct route. Thankfully Dave managed to do the bulk of the driving as I was, well, pretty tired, with myself doing the last 2 1/2 hours.

Arrived in Rust for just after 4pm after a reasonably pleasant, but rather tiring drive. The accommodation of choice this time was Moxy Rust. Fantastic accommodation, across the road from Bell Rock and around 15 minute walk to main entrance. Quick stop at Edeka for some supplies and the off to park for a couple of hours, with ride close 7pm, taking some time out for a bite to eat at the Biergarten in Germany, where there was a torrential downpour. Despite being undercover, had to eat pretty quick as rain was pouring in from all directions. Thankfully that cleared up quickly and then back to some pleasant sunny spells.

After a evening in the hotel bars, initially outdoors at Colosseo before another torrential downpour forced us indoors, then later El Circo in El Andaluz. Though Colosseo is not my favourite hotel, really love this plaza. great atmosphere. After this was some much needed sleep. Now in to early hours of Saturday morning, very little sleep had been had since Thursday morning.

Following our quick visit on Friday evening, we then spent Saturday & Sunday on park all day, from around 10am until close, which was 7pm both days. Weather was a mixed bag both days, with some pretty heavy rain in morning briefly, before clearing up in to a pleasant day.

Saturday was surprisingly quiet. With no queues going above 30 minutes all day. Everything was on full capacity, and as always, operations were fantastic. Having single rider back is great, pretty much walk on for Arthur & Can Can, and very short waits for Blue Fire & Wodan. With queue times so short, decided to take a ride on Poseidon; Probably the biggest regret of my visit :eek: . This thing is horribly rough, terrible transitions, batters you about, and just over all generally uncomfortable. Can't recall it being this bad before, but it isn't something I generally ride as it can attract a long queue during Summer. Mir was absolute sublime as always:p (Ye I know its rougher than a bears backside in places, but its also damn good fun at the same time!)

Saturday eve was in Bar St Louis for a Club Sandwich and a beer or 2. Of course, being sat out side did get rained off after a couple of hours. Indoors was full, so headed over to Buena Vista Bar, which was pretty quiet.

Sunday eve walked over to Kronasar for a Buffet in Bubba Svens. Decent selection, but at €41.50 plus drink is a bit pricey. Odd that neither of us ate a great deal as felt very bloated after a couple of plates (which is surprising for Dave as he eats like a Horse :p). Caught a glimpse of the robot waiters whizzing past, but more often than not they were parked up plotting their World Domination.

Monday was Rulantica day (10-10). Having already used both my free annual pass visits, I needed to purchase a day ticket for this, which is now €44. Still fantastic value, especially when you consider that Blackpool Sandcastle charge £28 for what is supposed to be a 3 hour slot.
The new slides are great, with short waiting time and quick moving queue line thanks to 8 slides. Also went on the Splash Battle too, which was great fun. Didn't spend too much time outdoors, as it was rather chilly. Did go to the outdoor swim up bar, but service here was shocking. Took best part of 20 minutes to get served, being completely ignored, serving people behind me, to all staff vanishing at one point, creating a massive scrum waiting to be served when one person came back eventually. In contrast the indoor bar was much easier to get served at.

In contrast to the quiet theme park, Rulantica was very busy with Vinter Rytt and Svalgur Rytt reaching 55 minute waits. Vildstrom now has a 7 second countdown timer to regulate the number of people going on at the same time. guessing there has been a few bumps and scrapes as previously it has been a free for all.

Overall fantastic day. Top quality attractions, plenty to do, whether it be slides or just relaxing. Down sides was poor service at the outdoor swim up bar, and also quite a bit of duck tape around the place covering broken tiles. Even seem some floating in the pool too. The queue lines for the slides are still grotty and depressingly dark, though the new slides appear much better. Also, place looks fantastic at night.

Evening spent in Bar Erikson. Still think this bar lacks a bit of atmosphere. To me it feels a bit too bright, be nice if the lighting was a bit softer. Still it serves alcoholic beverages so shouldn't complain I guess. 😄.

Tuesday was final day at Europa Park. Another 7pm close. Again pretty quiet with short queues, except Can Can at start of day (50 minutes), as it was chucking it down until around 11am, and Wodan (40 mins), due to going down to 2 train operation for a short period.

Final evening had a meal at Silver Lake Saloon, being sat outside, which was pretty nice, having never sat out there before whilst at Silver lake. Of course, a visit to Silver Lake is not complete without a 3L beer tower, which always seems to turn heads when it comes to the table.

After Silver Lake, had our own Monorail train to take us back to the resort hotels, with a final few beers and cocktails at bar St Louis.

Overall, a fantastic trip again to Europa. In general everything was on top form. Great to see that it pretty much seems business as usual now with most places that were seemingly closed or closed early last summer are now open, and open all day. The park wasn't too busy at all, probably due to the rather dire forecasts and what did turn out to be some ropey weather. Each day was 7pm ride close which was perfectly fine for the crowd levels. Some heavy late afternoon rain showers seem to send sensible people flocking to the exit. Us silly ones stayed.

Anyway next up will be Parc Asterix & Plopsa Land, but first, Coffee...

Last edited:
also quite a bit of duck tape around the place covering broken tiles. Even seem some floating in the pool too.
Rather surprising for Europa! I have always wondered how they do the bigger maintenence jobs that may require some draining of pools considering it's open almost all year. Guess they will struggle in this area.

Great trip report!

Reactions: Vik
Now time in to part 2, Asterix & Plopsa.

Heading off from Rust on Wednesday 2nd, again it was, well, raining. This was just a driving day, heading over towards our accommodation near Parc Asterix, (Novotel Roissy Saint Witz. Being in no rush, took the non toll route which was around 7 hours. Whilst a lot slower, do pass by some lovely French villages. At points the rain was coming down so hard could barely see a few CM in front. Thankfully it did clear up, and approaching out destination noted how windy it had become. Indeed, when we finally arrived around 5pm and stepped out of the car, wind felt like it was not far off gale force.

Not a great deal to do around the area, but had a decent meal at a near by restaurant before returning to the hotel for an alcoholic beverage before nightfall. (It was a 15 minute walk to the restaurant along an unlit road with no footpath so I was eager to ensure that I wasn't making the return journey in the dark. :D )

Heading off to Asterix next morning, decided to get a Taxi, which meant I could have a beer or 2 whilst on park. Whilst getting one was straight forward, we did seem to get the impression that they preferred longer journeys rather than an 8 minute journey to Asterix. I guess airport runs are a thing from this location?

Arrived around 9:45, which gave us time for a coffee and a cake before rides opened. Weather wise, bit chilly, some heavy rain forecast, so donned the rain coats for this one.

1st up was of course the new for 2023, Toutatis. Was expected to be greeted by a massive wait, which has seem typical from my previous visits to Asterix for the popular rides. However this was not the case, and the wait time was advertised at 25 minutes, and we waited about 15, which was the longest wait of the day for this ride, even when we queued for front row later on in the evening.

Really loved this ride, such a fantastic addition. Once it warms up in the afternoon it does start to pack a punch. Great to get a night ride too with the park being open until 10pm.

Sampled a variety of rows during the day but usually towards the back. Late afternoon spotted TST's very own Astrodan on front row whilst we were at the air gates waiting to board.

Food choices seemed not to be great, but headed indoors to eat when the rain struck. It was heavy and persisted for well over an hour before easing off. At least we got to meet some characters.

After a couple of spins on Toutatis and a look around the area, headed to Oz Iris which had a 5 minute wait. Never been a massive fan of this, always found it a bit bland, though I did enjoy it in 2021 on my last visit. Now its got pretty ropey as well as bland. rattles around a lot, very jolty, get knocked about quite a bit too. Not sure what has happened here? Square wheels perhaps? :D. Still, I do like the theme.

Had to sample Tonnerre 2 Zues. Its previous incarnation, despite being a bit rough was a firm favourite of mine, and I had heard some negative things mentioned about it since. Anyway, another ride with a short wait (around 10 minutes). 3rd row. Boy did this start rough, first drop and first 1/3 of circuit proper jack hammering around the track, but it did start to calm down a bit after that.

Also sampled back row (which is of course backwards facing). I was under the impression that this was an upcharge but staff were batching people in to back row anyway so asked if we could go back and they happily obliged. This was a pretty unique experience, and quite enjoyed it. Other than the jack hammering down first drop, after that it was actually reasonably smooth. Well worth sampling if you can. Also sampled next to back and front row, non of which were as bad as the first ride in row 3 in terms of roughness. Still, it is a coaster that has massively gone down in my estimations, just seems to of lost something the original had!

As for other rides, Goudurix has gotten even rougher since my last visit in 2021. One of those coasters I need to ride just to remember how not so good it really is. Still nothing like how bad it was back in 2012 though.

Do like Pegase Express, great little family coaster. Would of loved for that indoor section to of been a drop track though like thirteen. Fun non the less.

Trace Du Hourra, the Mack Bob Sleigh vibrates a lot, and like Europa Parks is just a little boring.

By late evening, around 8pm, park was pretty much deserted, with no queue being above 5 minutes, which meant plenty of re-rides on Toutatis.

Leaving just after 10, lots of taxi faff as again, Taxi drivers don't like those short journeys, but managed to get one eventually.

Overall a very enjoyable visit. Toutatis is a fantastic addition to an already pretty decent line up. Another park which was very very quiet, a first for my visits to Asterix. Regardless operations here were spot on.

I do find there bag store method odd. Bored the train and a member of staff wheels down a trolley and you throw your bags in. Then said trolley will be at the exit to retrieve your bag at end of ride. Seems an odd system, and looks like it requires an additional member of staff just for this. Whilst it does help operations somewhat it does seem like an additional expense that could be spent on lockers instead (Subject to space of course)?

Negatives. Well weather again, that rain, its following us everywhere. :p. Parts of the park do seem a bit run down and neglected. Noted bins overflowing first thing in morning. Are they not emptied over night? Steps in queue line for Pegase Express look like they never been swept. Oz Iris looks a shadow of its former self with fading colour scheme and rotting theming in places. Does show a lack of attention to detail. Asterix need to raise the bar here to Europa and Phantasialand levels.

Non ride op Staff seemed a bit miserable, exception being the characters who were very interactive with us during lunch time.

Anyway, one last park to visit before home, and that is non other than Plopsaland on Fri 4th Aug . Seeing as we had a near 3 hour drive next morning via toll roads, thought of having an early start, but then thought, nah, its Plopsa, no need, so had a lie in, left at 8:30 and arrived around 11:15.

Weather forecast was for sunshine and showers so donned a light weight coat. However, by afternoon there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Of course only come here for The Ride to Happiness really. Needed to beat my previous record of 8, which I did, managing 12 rides throughout the day (Park open until 7pm), doing 3 rides at a time then resting/sampling other attractions. Dave of course had a 13th ride just to say he beat me :p

Ride to Happiness is insane. Love how it is a different ride experience each time too. From start to finish it never lets up. Certainly need that rest time, or maybe I'm just getting 'old'

As for the other rides and attractions. Didn't really do much else. Eventually managed Anubis on 3rd attempt. 1st time after 30 minutes of waiting in the 10 minute queue and moving about 10 foot, bailed, and second time queue was spilling out of the entrance. Still a decent ride. Not rough in anyway, but now overshadowed on RTH.

Heidi looks impressive to watch, but rides pretty boring. Would of much preferred something along the lines of Wicker Man.

Didn't bother with water rides as the water looked vile, and it smelt too.

After park close, went to hotel for a bit as our Ferry wasn't until 10pm. Very nice hotel, though looks a bit 2D, Leek Signs look outside. Lovely staff here.

Overall, enjoyable visit. Very quiet. Weather turned out great in the end. Lacking some decent rides other than RTH. Park is well maintained, but please god do something with that water! Still very expensive, but on the plus side a 500ml bottle of coke is €4 now, it was €5 last year. :D

After Ferry home, stop at Daves former apartment before heading home Saturday afternoon, and sampling the joys of the M25 & M1 during torrential downpours.

So next stop...Who knows, probably something hideous like Flamingoland or something?

Last edited: