• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Most Anticipated Movies: 2013 Edition

D4n

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Zadra
It's that time of the year again; my opportunity to predict which films, whether you know about them already or not, we'll all be flocking into cinemas to watch for 2013... or, more likely, prodding y'all in the direction of my favourite film franchises. Either way, do give the topic of which films you're looking forward to in 2013 some discussion, although frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Here's my countdown of most anticipated films for 2013:

Number 10:
star-trek-poster.jpg

17th May / Cert 12A
Following a fantastic reboot of the franchise in 2009; the return of J.J. Abrams combined with the absurdly good casting of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in this sequel means that I somewhat doubt it will disappoint. This franchise is persistently good at finding the balance between threat and comedy and if it can maintain that then it will have a very good chance of ousting the numerous superhero-based releases this year at their own game. I mean, have you seen the teaser trailer? <3
Star Trek Into Darkness NEW HD Extended TEASER - Announcement (2013) - JJ Abrams Movie HD

Number 9:
Monsters-University-Mike-Sulley.jpg

12th July / Cert TBC
Riding in on an utterly insane wave of hype a few months back was the first trailer for a rare Pixar sequel; and to many 90s kids' favourite movie at that; Monsters Inc. Unfortunately, the trailer is absolutely dyer, as much as we try to convince ourselves otherwise... it isn't funny and leads to nightmares of another 'Cars 2' being on our hands. Nonetheless, the characters involved, and names involved in creating this film should mean that it was just a bad excercise in trailer-making, and we'll still get a decent movie.
Monsters University Teaser - Pony

Number 8:
Movie-43_510x756.jpg

January 25th / Cert TBC
Such large ensembles can be a huge mistake, but based on the trailer (and cast) of this it will probably turn out to be the 'American Pie' of this decade. Besides, the fact that so many well respected actors and actresses have agreed to star in it must surely say something for the quality? I fail to recall the last smoking turd I saw to star Live Schreiber? Or Kate Winslet? Or Emma Stone? ... please be good. :p Good comedies are too rare of a thing.
Movie 43 - RED BAND TRAILER HD (2013)

Number 7:
mos_glyph_hires.jpg

14th June / Cert TBC
Oh? A reboot of a superhero franchise? Didn't see that one coming! Buuut this is being directed by the incredibly talented Jack Snyder who's responsible for the criminally underrated 'Watchmen', possibly my favourite superhero film of recent times. This is a guy who's not whatsoever reluctant to showcase the 'dark side' of films, even 'family' films (see - Sucker Punch) and the involvement of Christopher Nolan, also, leads me to believe that we may have another 'Dark Knight' on our hands here... hope so, anyway!
Man of Steel - Official Trailer #2 [HD]

Number 6:
4244.jpeg

13th December / Cert 12A
After this year's beginnings of Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy, the adventure continues in this (*cough* unneeded *cough*) middle chapter. With the first film having received a somewhat lukewarm reception from fans and critics alike, it'll certainly be interesting to see whether the story is improved upon, or whether the focus will be on aesthetics once more.
Trailer Not Yet Released

Number 5:
django-unchained-poster.jpg

18th January / Cert TBC
Quentin Tarrantino is as close to a guaranteed piece of entertaining cinema as you're going to get, quite simply put. His take on the slave trade will most likely be a bloodthirsty epic, but it's the quick witty dialogue and set pieces which really set films like this one apart. Besides that, there are some quality actors involved; if you've never seen Christoph Waltz in anything, well, you're missing out.
Django Unchained - Official Trailer (HD)

Number 4:
lincoln-movie-poster.jpg

25th January / Cert 12A
America has already had it for well over a month, but we're still waiting for Spielberg's first film since his double header of War Horse and Tintin back in 2011. It has received overwhelmingly good reviews over in the States, boasting a 91% score on Rotten Tomatoes. Already it has been nominated for 7 Golden Globes and is a tip to win the best picture Oscar. Watch this space... or, eh, just watch the film. ;)
Lincoln Official Trailer #1 (2012) Steven Spielberg Movie HD

Number 3:
hitchcock-poster-anthony-hopkins.jpg

February 8th / Cert 12A
A film about the greatest filmmaker of all time, how apt! Not only that; how... overdue, considering the apparent scandal within his life in really is surprising that it has taken so long to produce such a film. Anyhow, this film follows the making of Psycho (<3) and the guy's personal life. Mainly his personal life. Also, Anthony Hopkins. Because this film will be perfect. Yes. It will. Yeah.
Hitchcock - Official Trailer (HD)

Number 2:
world-war-z-brad-pitt-banner.jpg

21st June / Cert TBC
It's far, far too rare that a decent zombie film comes along, but I think we're looking here at the first since 28 Days Later. There's no reason to doubt the German director; who's credits include The Kite Runner, Machine Gun Preacher and Quantum of Solace nor the cast. This is already the most hyped film of 2013, but not my number one.
World War Z - Official Trailer (HD)

Number 1:
Oz-The-Great-and-Powerful-poster-Copy.jpg

March 8th / Cert TBC
Riding in seemingly without any kind of buzz, any kind of interest whatsoever from anyone... a new 'Wizard of Oz' title? Cooome ooon. Not only is this directed by Sam Raimi (Spiderman trilogy, Evil Dead trilogy) it looks like the best eye candy (no, not Mila Kunis... OK, Mila Kunis) since Avatar with some absolutely glorious CGI based on the trailer, not dissimilar from the recent Alice in Wonderland. and I thoroughly expect this to be a darker, more sinister kind of deal... yay!
Oz the Great and Powerful Trailer [HD]: James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz & Mila Kunis

Also take a look at:
Iron Man 3
26th April / Cert TBC / Trailer Available at IMDb
Could go one way or the other, along with Thor 2, following some below-par superhero movies coming from Disney of late. Particularly The Avengers which, despite insane box office figures, was a really disappointing and soulless attempt at cinema in my opinion.

Birdemic 2: Resurrection
Release TBC / Cert N/A / Trailer Available at IMDb
Completely and utterly brilliant. I'm sorry, it's just so... worth it! To call this mindless cinema would be kind, but it'll be a heck of a lot funnier than most of the 'proper' comedies released next year.

After Earth
7th June / cert TBC / Trailer Available at IMDb
M. Night Shyamalan is a hit and miss director; very, very hit and miss. But we should remember that for every 'Last Airbender' there has been a 'Sixth Sense', and this is still a man very capable of producing brilliance. Maybe, just maybe, his time has come again. The trailer is promising, and Will Smith is an actor in whom I have faith (...although so was Zooey Deschanel). Could be very good, could be very bad. We'll see.

3 To avoid:
Paranormal Activity 5
25th October / Cert TBC / Trailer Not Released
Yawn. This franchise still isn't over? Apparently we'll be seeing yet another installment around Halloween time of 2013... surely it can't possibly be worse than this year?

One Direction - The 3D Concert Movie
23rd August / Cert TBC / Trailer Not Released
Every year there's one of these 'modern' music artists making a 3D movie of a concert; Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Glee... it was only a matter of time. Urgh.

Scary Movie 5
12th April / Cert TBC / Trailer Not Released
Starring... erm... Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen (who was killed off in the previous movie, so I have no idea how that will work). Without Anna Faris the film is completely doomed to failure.

That's my take on 2013 releases. There's always a few that I miss, but I've got all the main ones that I'm looking forward to. Like I've said in previous years, too, the best films of the year tend to slip under the radar of 'hype' and we only know about them once they've been released (and even then they're unlikely to be shown in cinemas), but I've done my best. :p I'll be back.

Re: Re: Most Anticipated Movies: 2013 Edition

D4n said:
Also take a look at:
Iron Man 3
26th April / Cert TBC / Trailer Available at IMDb
Could go one way or the other, along with Thor 2, following some below-par superhero movies coming from Disney of late. Particularly The Avengers which, despite insane box office figures, was a really disappointing and soulless attempt at cinema in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Smashing list. So excited for Lincoln, DDL is my hero!

Also looking forward to Enders Game in October. One of my favourite books finally being brought to the big screen! Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield and Ben Kingsley all in the cast is a very strong line up and with Orson Scott Card actually a writer for it I'm so optimistic for it...can't wait!

Mine are:

Wreck It Ralph - PG
Hangover: Part 3 - TBC
Anchorman 2 - TBC (If it comes out this year... we can dream)

When's that Hex/Legend of the chained oak based film coming out by the way?! I know someone mentioned it a while back.

LordOfDarkness said:
When's that Hex/Legend of the chained oak based film coming out by the way?! I know someone mentioned it a while back.

For the past 10 years. At least.

I'm only stating 3 this year as War Horse was such a disappointment.

3. The Hobbit 2
2. Monsters University
1. Wreck-it Ralph

World War Z looks crap tbh...

Les Mis could be interesting at how successful it is, plus it has Helana...

As much as I am looking forward to les Miz I am more excited to seeing the stage show which I have been planning for the past year, but for whatever the reason haven't been able to go! Should be soon though.

Looking forward to the continuation to the Marvel cinematic universe with iron man 3 and especially Thor 2. Even though I prefer the comics. Gotta love those darn asgardians and stark raving Tony's! :p

Pacific Rim because of GLaDOS! :p

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

DiogoJ42 said:
*cough* Les Miserables *cough*

Hm, an oversight on my part (I thought it was released on Boxing Day) but I'm not sure that I would have included it anyway, considering that it's being critically slated and stars the disgustingly talent-less Amanda Seyfried. I'd have to agree with Fredward that the stage show (which I'm yet to see) intrigues me much more than the film adaptation does; as does the version from 1998, starring Liam Neeson.

The critics giving Les Miserables a slating are actually the minority. I saw Les Miserables at the cast and crew screening and thought it was fantastic. It is a true 'epic' experience, with huge set pieces and thousands of extras. The visual effects are also pretty good and Danny Cohen's cinematography was also amazing (although Roger Deakins' Skyfall cinematography is definitely the best out of all the films of 2012). The performances alone are oscar worthy, the highlight for me being Anne Hathaway, she is in a league of her own. Hugh Jackman was very good as well, a new video of him has surfaced on YouTube. Les Misérables - Featurette: "Hugh Jackman is Jean Valjean".
Both actors deserve nominations, which fortunately they have received at the Golden Globes. Tom Hooper's directing was top class, and I will not be surprised if he is nominated for an Oscar.
And it has also been nominated for Best Picture in the Golden Globes. But it's a shame Tom Hooper has been ignored by the Golden Globes, he pulled the whole thing off very well. Although Ang Lee looks to have achieved amazing things with Life of Pi, so it's no surprise he has been nominated for Best Director.

I did have a few problems, the film did drag on a bit and some of the performances from Seyfriend were rather average and Helena Bonham Carter's singing also was not too impressive. But it was a good film and the sheer scale of it is very rare for a British film (Harry Potter hardly counts since it was funded mainly by Warner Bros in the US).

(I thought it was released on Boxing Day)
Unfortunately not. It's being released in America in Christmas and opens here 11 January. It's strange that it won't be opening here until after America considering it is a British film.

In regards to other films coming in 2013, I am very excited about Man of Steel. Zack Snyder's dark tone should do Superman justice, was never a fan of the cheesiness of Bryan Singer's film.

Tarantino looks to be back on top form with Django Unchained, which is said to be the most violent western since The Wild Bunch. Really looking forward to it!

It seems like the critics love moaning about films at the moment. Despite what they've been saying about the Hobbit (which ironically I saw when D4n was making the first post) I've yet to meet someone that has come out of the theatres disappointed.

I loved it and so am looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug. You can moan all you like about the Hobbit being an unnecessary Trilogy but as far as I'm concerned we are getting 3 great films instead of just 2, what’s not to love?

BTW: D4n you need to do reviews of stuff more often. You always seem to have differing opinions from the norm (be it Rides, Films or TV) and it always makes for an interesting read.

I think for me, it's got to be:
Wreck It Ralph
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Serena
Carrie
Man of Steel
Elysium
Catching Fire (Even with the new director, I'm still that excited :p)

I forgot Monster's University!

Catching Fire!!!!I am counting down thr days until November 21st!!

I dont know what its called but the wizard of oz film looks good too ;)