• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Movie Park Germany & Phantasialand

jmc

TS Member
Day 1 - Movie Park Germany

This was a new park to me and one I had very low expectations of. In fact, I had no real desire to visit however it was decided that on what we expected to be a very quiet mid week trip, two days at Phantasialand might be a little much. I therefore went on to see what other parks would be fairly easy to get to via public transport. Toverland would have been the top choice given georgraphically it isn’t too far away, but sadly upon review it seemed logistically to be a bit of a nightmare to get there and back from Cologne in a day. Movie Park was a direct train from Cologne-Bonn airport to Essen, a brief stop and then a further 20 minute train roughly to the park entrance at Feldhausen. All in all it was fairly pain free.

Upon arrival, we were met with a very familiar sight to many of us - metres and metres of temporary metal fencing weaving through the entrance plaza. Stunning. After reminding myself I hadn’t accidentally turned up to a Merlin park, we dumped our belongings at the lockers and headed right, through the ‘main street’ and towards most of the attractions. This area looks very tired and could do with a clean up and refresh, but the basic premise is well done.

The Rides

Van Helsings Factory x1

A fun indoor Gerstlauer bobsled/dark ride. The queue line is a fairly unpleasant and stuffy cattlepen albeit with some good theming. The pre-show within this is terrible and fails to achieve its aim of convincing you Van Helsing himself is working away in a workshop. No peppers ghost but a pixelated screen set amongst physical props, which makes him look about 1.5x to scale. As you approach the station and up some stairs you are met with another Merlinism, with the theming suddenly becoming non-existent and replaced with plywood walls and a propped open fire exit.

The coaster itself is really quite fun, with surprisingly good theming throughout. There is a minor dark ride section at the beginning - a mix of physical props and (mostly broken) pixelated screens with characters talking to you again. There are some good forces and fun sections of laterals, but this coaster is more about swooping helixes and drops. Overrall we enjoyed what is a mediocre coaster plussed by decent theming and being in the dark.

Star Trek: Operation Enterprise x2
Probably the main draw of the park, next we opted for the Mack coaster which in my view you can’t go wrong with, unless you’re Icon. In what was a running theme of the day, and worrying for our a day at Phantasialand, the queue was in excess of an hour. As we had limited time we reluctantly opted for a one shot Speedy Pass, bypassing most of the queue with the exception of the Enterprise bridge recreation, which was impressive. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there is a particular cheapness to the entirety of the Star Trek themed area, indoor and out. Not quite Leek signs but everything looks very budget.

Onto the ride itself, you board as normal and there is a small dispatch sequence of flashing red lights and sirens as the shutter rolls up, and your vehicle moves forward into some sort of anti gravity area - in reality this is the switch track into the launch. A forceless push forwards, followed by a rolling back into the launch track with a surprisingly punchy backwards launch up the spike. Forwards again and you are off on the main course. Sadly the ride is relatively uneventful, on par with Icon levels of force and speed at about a fraction of the length. There are a couple of nice moments of airtime but absolutely nothing to write home about. Overrall enjoyable, but underwhelming. I will however admit to somewhat abusing a bit of a glitch with the Speedy Pass system which gave us 2 each instead of 1, and went on twice.

Bandit x1
With time against us, queues large and a desire to increase my cred count we paid for another Speedy Pass. If it weren’t for the ride banging it enough I would have banged my head against a wall for forking out 8 Euros on this piece of crap.

This is truly a horrific coaster. I have previously ridden its sister at Parque Warner 10 years ago, and remember a lot of vibrations but nothing too violent (I will be seeing if my memory has served me right in a few weeks time). This ride is just pain. Every drop is followed by the most violent, painful slamming into its next transition. It really does feel like your brain is ricocheting off your skull. Even on the relatively forceless and boring turnarounds, you can feel and see the train shuffling side to side as it struggles to navigate them. I can honestly say this is the most painful coaster I have ever ridden and if there was ever a coaster that desperately needed the RMC treatment, it is this. Sadly, I imagine that cry for help will go unanswered as the ride still seems to be very popular with some of the longest queues of the park. The general presentation of the ride is also quite poor, in a very tired looking Western area.

Studio Tour x1
To be honest I don’t have an awful lot to say about this ride. It is a pleasant, forceless family coaster akin to our very own Th13teen without the drop. The theming is nice, themed to a tour of a movie studio with different set pieces and scenes throughout. The turntables/backwards section are novel, however I can’t really say they added a great deal to the experience. In my opinion it wasmissing something and I came off relatively underwhelmed, but I can see how it would appeal to younger thrill seekers.

Iron Claw x1
Another SLC to add to the list. Your usual jolts and dodgy transitions aside, I understand this has recently been renamed and the queueline rethemed to fit the western area. Sadly this is a very cheaply done retheme, the quality of which reminded me of a crap scare attraction. There are some graves with wooden crosses that have very poorly worded limericks literally Sharpie’d onto them (think a very poor version of Curses queue graves) and a walk through a shipping container with stacks of fake dynamite. You can’t polish a turd as they say.

Ghost Chasers x1
A fun little off the shelf Mack Wild Mouse. Again, this ride looks extremely tired and in need of a good clean but it provided a minute of fun - I have a soft spot for Wild Mice.

Side Kick x1
A fun Huss Frisbee, which I enjoyed as I’ve only ever experienced one other facing inwards. An amusing observation was their guest ‘mess’ cleaning procedure was a quick hosedown of the seat and an empty cycle. Safe the say guests in the queue being splashed by the spin dry were not amused, even though I couldn’t understand them.

Sadly we didn't get to experience any other rides due to only spending an afternoon here and horrendous queues. I also realised I seem to be cursed when it comes to Intamin Gyro Drop Towers - Atmosfear was in pieces then I visited Liseberg, Scream was dead when I visited Heide Park, and the one here seemed to have its catch car stuck at the top at a wonky angle. It really was quite the whistestop tour and a rush to get as many of the coasters in as possible.

Rides aside, from what we saw the park itself feels very tired and unloved. It really needs quite a bit of attention to bring it up to its German counterparts as it stands out like a sore thumb in terms of quality, even against Heide Park. The newer additions such as Studio Tour and Star Trek do seem to be an improvement to a degree, so hopefully they will continue this trend over time demolish the SLC and RMC Bandit. The food we experienced was typical mediocre theme park fayre - special shout out to the Coca Cola postmix that just tasted like soda water.

All in all, we had an enjoyable albeit short day at the park, which was probably helped by the weather being glorious and me being high on caffeine after a 3:00am start. Would I return? Not unless they pulled something worthwhile out of the bag. Unfortunately the coasters are ones you can find in abundance elsewhere, or inferior versions of their cousins in other parks. Star Trek and Van Helsing were the standouts but that isn’t really saying much. The overall presentation of the park is very, very tired and feels quite soulless.

After a long, long day we headed back to Cologne and instantly passed out in bed, ready for our next day at Phantasialand to experience F.L.Y for the first time.

Last edited:
Day 2: Phantasialand

Following our day at Movie Park, we headed to Phantasialand expecting similar crowd levels. Having done the journey a few times before from central Cologne, it was a breeze with a quick 20 minute train to Bruhl Central followed by the shuttle bus. A word of warning, while most of Cologne has moved with the times and accepts contactless payment pretty much everywhere, the shuttle bus is still cash only. This resulted in an unpleasant run into the centre of town to find a cash point. Luckily we didn’t miss the bus and following a short but sweaty journey we arrived at the Berlin entrance around 09:00.

Our first stop was at Guest Services to pick up some Quick Passes after resigning ourselves to another day of busy crowds. The very pleasant member of staff talked us through how these worked (unnecessary, but she was too friendly to interrupt), only for her to quite literally talk us out of getting them as she was certain the park would be quiet. She advised us to come back around 13:00 if we still wanted them but it turns out she was absolutely right and we never parted with our money - I think this is the first time I have been actively talked out of spending at a theme park.

While the park advertises gates opening at 09:00 and rides at 10:00, we were pleasantly surprised to find a select few advertised as 09:30 on the queue boards, including our first ride of the day:-

Black Mamba x3
I’ve always enjoyed Black Mamba and I suppose I view it as somewhat of a spiritual successor to Nemesis, given its similar approach of being built into the ground amongst rock work. The theming however is far more of an impressive feat in my view given it is all theme park fakery. The coaster itself is still very enjoyable, although it does have a fair bit of B&M shuffle. I know some people criticise the latter part of the ride with it being just a few helixes and turns, however I really enjoy this part and think its pretty forceful. Special mention to the new Adventure Trail, where you get some great new views of Black Mamba and come really close to it at times, only separated by netting. The trail is a great example of Phantasialand unnecessarily plussing their existing areas and is good fun in its own right - highly recommend!

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

Taron x3
One of my favourite coasters (of course) and the one I was most excited about being reunited with after a few years apart. I don’t really have anything to add to what has already been said countless times, however for what its worth Klugheim remains a stunning area. It is so impressive how they have managed to weave paths and plazas in between extensive rock work, buildings and theming - not to mention a lengthy rollercoaster and a slightly smaller one. Taron is definitely a back row ride for me, and gets better as the day goes on. Not perfect by any stretch as it can be let down by its sections of meandering, but what it does well it does very well. A top class rollercoaster in a top class themed area.

tempImageQtfQUP.jpg
tempImageT45fUb.jpg

FLY x2
The primary reason for our visit. Upon entering Rookburgh through a fairly unassuming portal off of the main Berlin Street, you are met with quite an astonishing view. Another huge rollercoaster intricately weaved through countless pathways and structures in every corner. I was so impressed with this area and its standard of theming, even down to tiny details such as the fake grids having steam rising out of them.

Having not really seen any POVs due to the strictly enforced removal of loose articles, I didn’t really know what to expect. Its almost impossible to work out where the train is heading next as a spectator as well. The queue was advertised as 10 minutes, however at no point did we stop moving - to be honest the queue is really long and I would say it takes 5-10 minutes to actually make your way through it, although it hasn’t got anything on Zadra. Most of the queue traverses the outer edges of Rookburgh, giving you some great elevated views. Once you get inside the main building you head down some stairs, and are met with an impressive steampunk-esque animatronic and several large screens with boarding instructions. Here you are then given a wristband for your locker, either blue or red. I think I worked this out as your colour dictated what queue you were batched into once you had passed the lockers and metal detectors. Speaking of, this is very strictly enforced as if the airport style machines go off as you pass through, you are then further scanned by a member of staff with a handheld device. I’ve put my description of the station and ‘dark ride’ element in a spoiler tag in case anyone doesn’t want to ruin it for themselves

The station is heavily themed in a steampunk style once again, with a really pleasant dispatch sequence with containers of bubbling water changing colour between red and blue upon the train leaving the station. You board sideways, which feels a little odd. I think Vekomas flying restraints are superior to B&M’s in terms of comfort, however I thought the leg restraints were a little faffy getting into. Upon departing, you continue on sideways past machinery, some hologram adverts for fake products (for anyone who has ridden RTH, the same effect adopted in the queueline with the fan), and then start spiralling upwards past machinery and projections of peoples silhouettes working away - all accompanied by the typically epic IMAscore soundtrack. The track then rotates to the inverted position as your car rotates 45 degrees (very odd sensation) and you are sent off outside to the first launch

The ride itself did not disappoint. I didn’t particularly have major expectations for the actual hardware, and I think that was a good thing. There are some great moments, highlights being the unexpected pop of airtime at the top of the second launch (only really experienced in the front) and some of the strong forces around the helixes. You really do feel like you are putting your life in the hands of the restraints at times. The interaction with the theming and area is top class. For me it is definitely better towards the front, yet still provides a great albeit slightly different experience towards the rear. An exceptionally fun coaster in a hugely impressive area (seriously, its breathtaking) although I don’t know if the coaster breaks my top 10.

tempImageHbXUxw.jpg
IMG_6750.JPG
tempImageVnmL0O.jpg

Winjas Fear & Force
Two very unique Maurer spinners which are tremendous fun. They both start with an elevator lift which tilts you forward as it reaches the top, and releases you into their first drops. Some fun spinning around in the dark before you reach the weakest part of both rides, the endless circling around the interior of the Wuze Town building (although it makes for some cute offride photos). Both coasters have further unique trick tracks, one block brake tilts to the side and the other forwards (or backwards, depending which way you are facing). Following this you do some more spinning and whizzing in the dark and reach the final unique feature: the bouncing brake run. Really takes you by surprise and could probably be contested as the worlds first drop track if you wanted to be super anal. I can’t remember which one is which by name, however if you visit and the queues are too long to do both I recommend the side which you need to walk around the queuline a bit more before dropping down the stairs into the station - it just had a bit more kick for me. Although be warned, definitely the worst queueline on park.

tempImagedeGZ5l.jpg

Colorado Adventure x2
An epic mine train once known as the Michael Jackson Thrill Ride. Surprisingly intense for what it is, with more excellent theming throughout. Special mention to the ride staff casually stood on one of the brake runs while the ride was in motion - certainly wouldn’t get that in the UK.

Raik x1
A fun Vekoma Family Boomerang that has no business being this much fun. You feel surprisingly high up on the first lift hill; you can see a fair bit of the park if you sit towards the back. The coaster weaves nicely around Klugheim and Taron and if timed right you get a fun interaction with its bigger brother. I don’t know if it is usually operated this way or just because it was quiet but we got 2 laps which was a pleasant surprise.

Talocan x2
An epic Huss Suspended Top Spin which is probably one of the best themed flat rides in the world. I forgot how intense this was when you start looping. It has an epic soundtrack with some great effects, however the fire wasn’t working on our visit which saddened me. Damn cozzy livs. Much like RIPsaw there was a constant crowd watching the spectacle; I have seen Talocan on countless Instagram Reels/TikToks etc with millions of views and I really wish Merlin would lose their attitude to flat rides because stuff like this really does engage and impress people.

Mystery Castle x1
Thankfully my drop tower curse does not apply to Mystery Castle, as it is my absolute favourite. The addition of Mystery Castle seems to be the era when Phantasialand really started stepping their p*****s up in terms of theming, the huge building itself and interior queueline is so well done. I somehow managed to distract my partner from the giant tower ahead of us as we entered and told him it was a ghost train, so it was exceptionally fun to watch his reaction as we blasted up and down. I saved this for the afternoon just to be sure we avoided Misery Castle (spoiler, we got the proper cycle). I so hope this ride has a long future at the park as I absolutely love it.

Chiapas x1
An excellent modern day flume with yet more impressive theming, the disco section being the obvious highlight. I do have one complaint about the restraint system, being that it seems to lend itself to the rider in front of you leaning on your lap bar to lower themselves in, thereby pinning you down in the process. I am talking from experience that resulted in bruised ankles and a minor argument between me and my partner (we quickly got over it, no harm done).

River Quest x1
One of my favourite Rapids, and a unique one at that. Despite the language barrier we had a really fun ride with our fellow passengers and had a great laugh with them. River Quest really shows you just how fun a rapids ride can be, sadly ours in the UK don’t have a patch on it. Excellent theming as well (of course).

Maus au Chocolat x1
At this point it goes without saying this is a very well themed ride, this time a shooter dark ride with an aim shoot as many mice as possible with your piping bag. There are physical set pieces as you move around however the main action is on 3D screens, which to be honest looks a little dated and could do with an upgrade. It also gets a little tedious just moving from screen to screen and could do with a bit more variation, like Street Mission at PortAventura.

Geister Rikscha x1
The final ride I will say something about - unfortunately its all negative. This is a terrible omnimover ghost train, with hugely dated animatronics and effects. A good majority of it seems to be falling apart and is broken, which makes me think it next on the chopping block. Given this is entirely underneath the China area I have no idea what they will do with it, however I am sure given the parks track record they will think of something. It needs to go as it is very ‘old’ Phantasialand and not in keeping with the rest of the park.

Other rides we did but I can’t be bothered to write my thoughts on:-
  • Wellenfleug x1
  • Tikal x1
  • Wirth’s Taubenturm x1 (although strangely the op wouldn’t let us off so realistically I think we did this x5)

Some final additional thoughts:-
  • I echo previous comments about some weird rules, particularly regarding F&B. The (stunning) patisserie requires you to purchase a bundle of cake + coffee, and nothing in between. I feel they probably lose money this way as I am not going to buy buckets of drinks just to get more cakes. Equally at the small food outlet in Africa they categorically wouldn’t give us a side that belonged to a different main despite us willing to pay extra for it. We also encountered (twice) being made to walk through the roped ‘queue’ at some of the smaller outlets despite there being noone in the queue (???)
  • The above aside, staff members we interacted with were very pleasant. A good example of this was another visit to guest services in search of charging stations for my partners phone. The member of staff disappeared off to the office and returned with a label to write our names on, stuck it to the phone and happily said they will plug it in free of charge in the office for us.
  • The park is beautiful and it is clear they take pride in it as we often saw workers touching up bits and pieces in different areas
  • The merch is next to non-existent and mainly consists of dragons (the park mascots)
  • As soon as its hits close, everything shutters. Everything. Even the main gift shop, which I thought was odd. Managed to grab myself the same single Taron t-shirt they have had for years earlier on however if you really wanted to pick up a plush dragon at the end of the day you are going to be very disappointed.
My next trips should be Parque Warner and Parc Asterix later this year for the battle of the Euro Intamins. Thanks for reading!

tempImagesFKcvG.jpg

Last edited: