• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nelson Mandela dies

Harv

TS Member
Nelson Mandela has been reported to have died, by the BBC, this evening.

A truly terrible loss, a great man who deserved the respect he earned throughout his life. He'll be missed as an inspiration by many, I'm sure.

very true Harvey, Very sad but not unexpected. He did so much to change the outlook of so many peoples lives.

One of the few truly inspirational people on the planet has died then, very sad, and will be missed by all, I am sure

Rest In Piece to a truly inspirational man, one of the most inspirational and admirable people of our lifetimes. His effort and dedication in fighting for equality should never be forgotten, and my thoughts are with his family, his friends and the people of South Africa.

BawZ0LMIYAAIuqg.jpg

A liberator, a peace-maker and a bringer of democracy has passed. A great man.

I'm proud to say my parents were involved with the anti-apartheid movement, and they reminded me that we must remember the disgraceful behaviour of the US, the Thatcherite UK, and other rich Western Countries which propped up the apartheid regime.

He wasn't always considered a hero by the mainstream media or politicians who now try to rewrite the history of their attitudes. I mean David Cameron was a member of The Federation of Conservative Students in the 80s, an organisation responsible for making merchandise saying 'Hang Mandela!'.

Let's consider one of Mandela's great quotes:
"People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love"

Could you imagine any of our squalid mainstream politicians being quite so insightful? I doubt it.

Mandela was (and remains to be, his legacy lives on) one of the most quotable figures in history. There is an infinite library of wisdom we can take from his life.

Thatcher and Cameron hated him and wanted him dead. Good enough for me. Took on the Tories and Apartheid and won. So happy he outlived Thatcher.

What a man.

Am I the only one cringing now when I hear certain individuals making "tributes" to this man?

Everyone can change their opinions, and I believe behaviours, however to pretend they were always inspired by them etc really gets my goat.

I doubt Mandela was perfectly innocent. He was after all a human fighting a difficult struggle. I refuse to put him on that perfect pedestal, I really don't think he was that type of guy anyway. Cameron has made himself look an absolute idiot (more than usual) because even cursory research can provide the info about the Tory attitude/Thatcher and even Cameron's attitude towards him.

It's not unlike Tony Blair coming out to pay tribute after Bin Ladens death really. Bit more extreme, but same principle.

Tories labeled him a terrorist, and wanted him dead!

(And wasn't Thatcher pals with Pinochet? Or am I imagining that? - Just to give their standards some context here...)

EDIT:
The article goes into a bit more detail, about some of his more outspoken views, especially against the west. I agree with the majority of it. Makes it all the more cringe worthy and patronising in my view that he is almost given a "fluffy" sending off. Let's celebrate this man for what he was, a truly brave radical thinking freedom/justice fighter!
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/nelson-mandela-iraq-israel_b_4396638.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular