• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Newby to Pleasure Beach

Itgoeshowhigh

TS Member
Trip Report - Pleasure Beach

Thought I’d post my first trip report. I’m still a newby at this glorious hobby and Blackpool’s a long long drive from Wiltshire. But, I fancied a change of scenery from Towers and Thorpe and wanted a little warm up before our trip to Energylandia in a few weeks.

So if anyone’s interested, here’s my thoughts discovering a new place for me. I’ve watched many a vlog on the place and been wanting to go for a while. Icon and Big One (I hadn’t done anything that tall yet) being the main draw for me.

I got wow weekend tickets (Saturday and Sunday) for £50 each. It was me and my 2 teenagers.

Sat 3 June

Got to the park after wandering round a bit trying to find the entrance. (Not obvious at all from the awful map on the website and hidden away in the car park, which didn’t seem at all obvious to me?) (Parked down the road from Big Blue hotel where there were spaces for free).

Wandered round the shop for a bit (lovely shop with lovely stuff) while waiting for the gates to open. Finally got in at 10 and promptly fell in love with the place. I don’t know what I was expecting, from the outside it looks so rundown, but I was really pleasantly surprised. First impressions, clean, smart, cute, quaint in places, looks well looked after and oh my goodness coaster track everywhere!

Day 1 rides;

Icon x 5
Big One x 3
Nick Streak x 1
Infusion x1
Grand National x 2
Steeplechase x 1
Avalanche x 1
Valhalla x 1

Icon - firm favourite for all of us. Not sure where it’s sits in my favourite list. Im not very good with launches (only done Rita, too much of a wuss to even try Stealth) but this being a bit weaker, I had it cracked by the end of the weekend. First time I’ve been able to “launch” with hands in the air! My favourite bit is from where you drop under the tunnel the 2nd time into the 2nd launch and into the Immelmann. Loved that bit. Did think it meandered (and crawled in speed) a bit towards the end.

Big One - Was about a 5 minute queue all weekend. Found it a bit meh. After the first drop was surprised at how much it slowed down but then kinda glad it did because of how rough and painful it was. Had a couple of teenage girls behind us, the language that came out of them. They called it a “C you next Tuesday” several times!!!

Infusion - Once was enough, thankyou very much. My ears got well and truly bashed. Kids opinion; S got off and simply declared “that ride stinks”. The other one, L bizarrely didn’t find it painful and quite liked it? Did look very pretty in the sunshine though.

Nick Streak - Walk on. Fun little introduction to rough old Woodies.

Grand National - Surprised by how much I liked this. A bit painful but very fun. Kids opinion ; L liked it, S thought it was “orrible”.

Steeplechase - Ow, didn’t know it was painful. But it was ok, something different. L didn’t like it all and decided it was the most terrifying ride ever?

Avalanche - Painful, once was enough.

Valhalla - We came prepared, plastic sandals and a change of clothes. However I found the locker a bit of a faff, it didn’t want to read my card to pay and then you get a paper ticket to take on a ride that gets you soaked? We broke down somewhere for about 10 mins inside, was already wet at this point so sat shivering. Then did part of the ride with the lights on. This all kind of broke the immersion somewhat. Lights did go off again somewhere along the way. Didn’t really take it in much because I was cold and there was too much going on. I sat there just dreading the next tidal wave and not knowing where it was gonna come from. I remember some very pretty fire effects at some point.

In general I would have liked to ride it again and again to take in the whole ride and all the effects but for a person who doesn’t like being cold and wet that just wasn’t going to happen. In my opinion, the wetness is way too much and makes going on it a huge faff. It ruins it for me. It also took a fair bit of time out of our day, faffing with lockers and getting changed and everything.

Sunday 4 June

Spent most of the day on Icon, decided that front row is where it’s at. Queues were really short all day so wasn’t a pain to queue a tiny bit longer for front.

Did a few other bits as well:

Ghost Train which I really liked. Old fashioned but classic.

Wallace and Grommet, again really like this

Nickelodeon land. Thought this was soo cute. Did the little log flume (Rugrats?) which I thought was cute and nicely themed. Got just the right amount of splashed then dried off nicely on Airbender.
Did Blue flyer because it was walk on so why not?

Watch them seagulls, L got attacked and the seagull got a burger for lunch.

Had to leave around 3 due to the long drive home and kids having exams the next day.

Final thoughts:

I basically fell in love with the place, there was lots that I wanted to explore but ran out of time. We had 2 beautiful sunny days, queues were super short and I just really liked the atmosphere and the look of the place. L loved it too. S wasn’t so keen, he liked Icon but said he’d rather be at Thorpe. He didn’t like any of the other coasters much due to the roughness.

Didn’t do Revolution because I’ve heard it’s really intense so wussed out.
Big Dipper was closed so didn’t get the chance.

Icon; this was my main reason for going I suppose. Still can’t decide where it sits. For me it’s missing something but I don’t know what? I’m really confused by it. I’ve not done loads of coasters, it does a bit of everything and I felt I should of been wowed by it more than I was.

I think I’d put Wickerman, Smiler, Nemesis and Saw above it? But that doesn’t feel right?

Conclusion

Very pretty, photogenic park. Short queues. Friendly folk, good atmosphere.

Downsides, Valhalla too wet, closing time of 5 too early on a lovely sunny day.

End note

Also did the pier at the end of the first day. Did the Magic Mouse thing. What with looking a bit rusty and being perched on the edge of the pier…. It was the most terrifying coaster I did all day!

Surprised you found Avalanche painful . I think it's probably the least rough coaster after Icon.

Your Big One summary is quite common for new riders, it's a ride you appreciate more over time I think , especially if you can get a night ride during the loominatiions.

Shame dipper hasn't been open but it's an excuse to go back I suppose

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Surprised you found Avalanche painful . I think it's probably the least rough coaster after Icon.

Your Big One summary is quite common for new riders, it's a ride you appreciate more over time I think , especially if you can get a night ride during the loominatiions.

The restraints on Avalanche can be painful if you're at the front. They try to squash you into a pancake.

Definitely be heading back at some point. Maybe Big one will grow on me. Still feel I have unfinished business with Revolution as well!