• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Next Major Coaster Innovation

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
As I've been discussing off topic in Walibi (hence this thread :D) we're all under no illusions that we're in a major upturn in coaster development.

With Mack especially beginning to trample on the toes of the big boys, they're eating into their market, and the likes of RMC (love them or hate them) with their inversion laden "woodies", are creating exciting rides, some which naturally divide opinion of course.

But, there's a big difference between taking something existing, and twisting it, improving it, and creating welcome creative competition in the sector - and the next MAJOR innovation. The thing that changes the way we believe a coaster can exist. VR is now of course appearing, but this isn't something I largely welcome as a whole - I still prefer the idea of the coaster creating the thrill by nature of it's real world speed and form.

Whilst we speak of suspended coasters/inverted, of course they were here LONG before Arrow, then B&M.

BisbysSprialAirshipQueensPark.jpg

Try, 1902 for size.

So, it's definitely hard to create something completely new. Of course, S&S & others have had a go at 4D, B&M bought the Flyer on, but of course we have Vekoma's Flying Dutchman and even before that Komet at Encounter Zone

http://rcdb.com/2390.htm

And, Skytrack at the now long defunct Granada Studios:

Skytrak.jpg

So the history of flying, and especially suspended coasters goes WAY back.

But now, with engineering and technology far exceeding when B&M first gave birth to their incredible park changing machines, the question for me is this.

What is going to be the next major innovation?

We're going through a process presently of honing the quality, to the degree some quite exquisite machines are being created - a definite golden era of quality and choice... but NOT innovation.

Mack, given their repertoire, are who I personally think will come out with something extraordinary in the next decade. Dynamic attractions of course, continue to quietly go about their business creating unbelievably highly technical dark rides, such as the SFX coaster - could they take this outdoors, into the real world?

It seems plans on their site suggest they can merge the two. But it's still standard outdoor coaster it seems.

http://www.dynamicattractions.com/adventures/sfx-coaster/

What's clear though, they push the boundaries in ways I am speaking of here.

So.... what will be the next big innovation in your opinion? And who's most likely to bring it?

Love threads like this, good one TheMan! :D

It is a very interesting topic but also quite hard to think what the next big innovation might be. As you've said, with examples of big innovations in the past there have often been attempts to unsuccessfully attempt it before someone comes along and perfects it. Think B&M with Inverts and Flyers. So when predicting what might be the next big thing is it useful to look at what has been tried in recent years but not fully utilised.

I agree with what you say about Dynamic Attractions and their SFX Coaster. Others have tried trick track in the past (Intamin, Maurer etc) and Dynamic have taken the concept and put it into a larger package more focussed on these unique elements. It will be interesting to see and hear about the SFX Coaster at Ferrari World once it opens. But ultimately these are dark rides as well as coasters, and however great they are, true coaster geeks will always want to see the next big thing when it comes to and out and out coaster, track and train.

I think RMC are very big players in changing the industry. Of course they provide high quality new build wooden coasters like Wildfire, Outlaws Run and Lightning Rod. But they have re-defined what a wooden coaster is able to do, whether that be with their topper track or I-Box track. Inversions on wooden coasters had been tried before but never worked out fully caught on (yes, I'm looking at you Son of Beast). An RMC wooden or hyrbid coaster can now do almost anything, the only element they've not yet tried is a vetical loop but I bet that is in the works. And of course they have been the first do produce the first launch on a wooden coaster, albeit more of a launched lift hill; this will no doubt be taken further.

But RMC have changed the industry in other ways. They give parks who might not have the biggest budgets more options than they ever had before. Wooden coasters have never been as expensive as steel coasters but RMC's tend to provide excellent value. They also give parks the option to totally refresh existing older wooden coasters that just aren't good or popular now with their now famous 'RMC treatment'; this helps a park save money on a new coaster as well. And now with their new TREX and Raptor track concepts they are trying out something similar with the steel coaster market - dynamic steel coasters that can perform numerous monouvers but with a single rail enabling less supports and therefore a lower cost. They are making big thrill machines more accessbible, it might not be a big innovation as such but it is a big factor in shaping things as we go forward.

But back to the future! I think we a little while off the next really big totally new innovation, I just don't see anything in the market at the moment that is hinting at it or trying to be it. But my prediction is that we still haven't fully realised the 4D concept; there is a lot more to come from it. Arrow first tried to way back in 2002 with what was then X (now X2) and do think it is still the best attempt of what the industry is looking for from 4D, i.e. a full scale coaster mixing together different elements. Intamin have come along with the ZacSpin and S&S have showcased numerous 4D concepts and produced a couple of their new 4D Free Spins.

A proper controlled 4D coaster can still be a new and exciting product for the industry. A few years ago I watched a couple of videos on YouTube from a young coaster designer showing off his concepts for 4D coaster and to be honest they looked and sounded brilliant. Unfortunately I have no idea who he was and where to find said videos now. It has obviously been rumoured for a long time now but I really do think that B&M are working on a 4D concept and I think that they will be the ones to master is just like they have done with other concepts in the past. And that is probably why they are taking a while, they'll want it to be reliable, exciting but also affordable to parks (of course it would be an expensive product regardless). I see their Wing Coasters as a test almost building up to the final product. It has to happen!

:)

Thanks @Rob and you make an excellent point about the RMC concepts, I've made no secret I'm not a great fan of the aesthetics of the RMCs in present guise, but a vertical loop would look bloody impressive and their concept single bar track looks kind of like a monorail in coaster form - now that WILL look impressive! And indeed, the cost factor can do small parks a world of good, in that sense, to the industry as a whole, they are a God send. Totally agree. Absolutely.

The 4D you mention has definitely not realised it's potential yet, something else I entirely agree with, and if B&M have been working on this for years behind the scenes I'd say you can bet when they do finally release one it's going to be a barnstormer of a ride! I am not a fan of the new S&S or Intamins though, they look horrid to ride! (I don't recall reading gushing reviews on them either lol!)

Taking the SFX outdoors into proper "Coasterdom" would be something I'd love to see, I think actually Intamin proved with their freefall track it can work, I think that aspect is actually splendid! Taking someone on there that isn't expecting it, is one of THE best shared theme park moments I've had hahaha!!

I still think Mack will ultimately do it though, look what they did with the suspended powered coaster Authur. If you combine all their ride types, and the manner they seek to not only make phenomenal coasters, but also innovate constantly - from their restraints, to their entire ride systems, I think for their relative youth in terms of big coaster making, they're the ones to watch in the future!

My prediction remains: Within 10 years, it will be Mack that create the next huge development, whilst others such as RMC continue to improve and redefine other areas of coaster building.

Dynamic attractions I believe make track for other coasters as well, they have it in them, my biggest surprise is they don't make more.

They seem to be the almost hidden gem of the industry still. Perhaps their rides are so intensive to build, dark ride wise, and clearly cost a FORTUNE that they simply don't have the capacity, or price competitiveness YET to become a mainstream designer, given parks can spend a fraction and end up with Lost Gravity, Karnan, Helix or an RMC.

I'd just look at this: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/cgms-sketchbook.1528/ for future coaster inovations :p

Just want to add a shout to @CGM for the INCREDIBLE artwork on the thread mentioned there! (Let's not forget @BigAl is no slouch either!!) There are some brilliantly talented people across this forum. This is something that's never failed to dazzle and delight me!

Should I ever have the facility to create a design company, the creative aspect could EASILY be completed to a world level standard IMO with the incredible people on this forum alone.

I hope one day this talent is realised. Truly. I for one would LOVE to ride some of the designs I've seen here!