• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway

Harv

TS Member
I know we're not a predominantly train-enthusiast forum but a few expressed their appreciation of railways in a trip planning thread so I thought I may as well start one dedicated to an attraction that is very local and dear to me.

For those who don't know, the North Yorkshire Moors Railways is a heritage railway running from Pickering to Whitby (and very occasionally Esk Valley). It's a beautiful route and they frequently run fantastic events, most notably the War Weekend held in Autumn where the whole of Pickering immerses itself in war nostalgia and gets dressed up and stuff - war geeks on this forum would love it, it's full of antiques and such.

This video gives a pretty good introduction to the place, I just kind of wondered if any of you had visited and what you thought to the attraction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEv6S6Iga5E#t=131

I lived there for a year. War weekend is a pain in the rear, I know a lot of locals go on holiday for the weekend just to avoid it. The railway is nice, I never rode but I did live near the station so I took lots of walks along the first bit of the line. Noisy though. #CHOOCHOO

We had a lovely day out from Pickering to Whitby a few years ago. Our son loves trains and we were lucky enough to get on the Sir Nigel Gresley, it looks just like Spencer from Thomas Tank Engine. Highly recommended from me if you like that sort of thing :)

It's an excellent attraction. I've been there many times as it's only about an hour's drive from where I live. When you're used to the scale, the scenery and locomotives that NYMR offers, the average preserved railway pales in comparison.

It's a must visit for any railway enthusiast and it's a great day out even if you have little interest in trains.

I have indeed visited, I like the railway quite a bit, especially when there is a car show going on as well :)

1391926_640266552671653_1718792333_n.jpg

Yes, that is Tornado in the background

Poison Tom 96 said:
I have indeed visited, I like the railway quite a bit, especially when there is a car show going on as well :)

Built just round the corner from moi :)

Craig said:
Poison Tom 96 said:

Built just round the corner from moi :)
I went to where the Moggy was built last weekend :p Where was Tornado built, I have forgotten :p

Poison Tom 96 said:
I went to where the Moggy was built last weekend :p Where was Tornado built, I have forgotten :p

In good old Darlington, North Road railworks :). Where it was built ain't much to look at though - just avery old railshed :p