• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ohio State Fair accident

The video seems to show it falling off first, then someone falls to the left, but then someone in a white top seems to fall out afterwards

Saw this first thing on the news this morning.

Just awful and my thoughts are with all those involved.

The video seems to show it falling off first, then someone falls to the left, but then someone in a white top seems to fall out afterwards

What I can make out, is that the furthest set of seats heading in the forward motion direction came lose first which hits the set of seats taking up the rear of the swing motion. Looks like it caused damage to the fixed set of seats damaging the restraints causing riders to fall out of the second set of seating.

I wonder how this will affect Vortex at Thorpe?

I wonder how this will affect Vortex at Thorpe?

Vortex is currently showing as unavailable. I am unsure if it has been all day but assume it probably has been in response to this.

:)

I do think its a good thing if vortex just has a bit of downtime to see if it could possibly have the same issue. To me it sounds as if the metal or pins/join broke catastrophically.

Vortex is currently showing as unavailable. I am unsure if it has been all day but assume it probably has been in response to this.

:)

Here is a post that I've just seen posted on the TT site

I have been at Lightwater Valley today and heard about the accident from the operator of the Eagle's Claw ride (also an Afterburner) that they had had an email from KMG telling them to suspend operations meaning I was asked to leave the queue. With it being the manufacturer that has said this, I expect the same will have happened with Vortex.

KMG have ordered all Afterburners and Move It to cease operation pending investigation.

20264996_1450983811656705_3121996834692116340_n.jpg

Very surprised the fair is open today but without the rides. Other activities/events continuing as usual it appears.

Am I the only one shocked to see a ride less than 40 years old, built by a company we've heard of, at an American fair?

Terrible accident, for the record.

Here's a quote of a Coaster Crazy member's post who watched the footage multiple times and explained what they think happened, which is very interesting:

I have watched the video a few hundred times now, and frame by frame. The helicopter footage seems to give it away. From what I can tell, while the main assembly was passing through the home position (flat and level) one of the seat frames separated from the support arm. It was carried by momentum but because the ride moves faster then gravity the seats on the other side of the main assembly struck the separated portion mid air. This flung the separated portion outside the rides perimeter but the collision with the other seat frame destroyed the restraint system causing one passenger to be ejected from the still secured arm.

You can see from the helicopter footage that the attachment plate is completely gone. This would indicate that the bolts did not fail, but they are probably still attached to the seat frame.

Credit: Mikey (Coastercrazy.com)

Last edited:
Looking at the different versions of this ride. Some floors drop in the middle and don't drop any railings. Some like this one drop the floor on the outer edge and take the railing down at the same time.
Could this amount of damage be done by the gondola hitting the railing that didn't retract?
Sad sad sad! Thoughts go out to the families.