• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ohio State Fair accident

Are traveling fair ones affected? i think a fair I'm going to on Thursday has the same model (KMG Afterburner).

20604621_1459793940775692_5119853824925876704_n.jpg

KMG Being extremely transparent here!

And are we to assume that that was caused by water ingress from poor storage practices? Or can water get in when the ride is in an assembled state?

Could be either, these things don't sit in air tight containers when dismantled, they just sit on the back of a lorry.

You don't need water to cause fatigue, just moisture.

Could be either, these things don't sit in air tight containers when dismantled, they just sit on the back of a lorry.

You don't need water to cause fatigue, just moisture.

I find it likely that you would need significant cycling of water and drying to corrode a significant piece of steel like that over 18 years.

Surely when these rides have their ADIPS (or whatever they have in the states) this would have shown up?

.... Mind you, if it's anything like the safety requirements for cars (so long as your tail ligts work, nothing else matters).....

Surely xrays and test would be done on joints? The strain on the arms is eminence.
I would guess that's the kind of test that only needs to be done every couple of years. Thing is of course, anything can pass a test, then get damaged the next day. Like the time @Kelpie's car passed the MOT the broke down on the way to Towers a week later...

Rides typically get completely de-assembled and each part checked by the inspecting body, though I don't know if its different for other countried or funfairs, etc.

I thought paint bubbling would have been a good indication that there was rust :rolleyes:

or did someone just stuffed it with newspaper and covered it with some Isopon and just hoped that no one would notice

Needs a big pool.

I read elsewhere US safety requirements are far less than Europe, visual check on site at time of installation, stripdown tests every two years, but nothing like x-ray or UV checking for internal fatigue required at all.

Needs a big pool.

I read elsewhere US safety requirements are far less than Europe, visual check on site at time of installation, stripdown tests every two years, but nothing like x-ray or UV checking for internal fatigue required at all.

That confirms the justification for me not to travel to the USA for theme parks. I'm sticking with the ones in Europe....

...I wonder if the rules here in the UK will be more relaxed once we leave the EU??? :screamcat:

That confirms the justification for me not to travel to the USA for theme parks. I'm sticking with the ones in Europe....

Sticking with major parks would be fine. Disney and Universal are safe, the monorail is the only thing reaching the end of its life. I would also expect Six Flags to be as good as Merlin parks.