• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

OpenRCT2 - open source re-make of RCT2

Jordan

TS Contributor
This has been out for a while, but I haven't seen anything posted about it on the forum here.

In a similar vein to OpenTTD, there's been an ongoing fan-led effort to create OpenRCT2, a rebuild of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 as a modern, multi-platform game that's free for people to play. It started out fairly primitive but it's now actually very playable, and includes new features like an experimental night mode, and even online multiplayer - where you can build a park with other people. You can also import old RCT1 and RCT2 parks.

To install it, you need access to original RCT2 files. If you don't have a copy of the game (but why wouldn't you?!) then you can download the demo version to get the files too. It includes the RCT2 scenarios out of the box, but you can also download conversions of the original RCT1 scenarios (including Alton Towers!) and add them into your game.

A few of us had started building numerous parks last year! :p The multiplayer aspect is so much fun, but I hope that they've tweaked some of the issues with it by now.

40 minutes of my life I'll never get back from that damn server...