• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Opinions on internet piracy

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Is Wastelands Penitentiary (Tulleys Shocktober Fest) a ride? If not, my favourite ride is Nemesis.
Do you think that piracy is sometimes a necessary evil or do you think that it is completely wrong to pirate anything?

Pirates who steal your rum at the point of a gun are pretty good.

Pirates contribute to the economy of several countries around the world. So personally I'm a big fan of pirates.

Do you think that piracy is sometimes a necessary evil or do you think that it is completely wrong to pirate anything?
How morally wrong it is to me is inversely proportional to the size of the creators, as pirating from a smaller team feels more wrong then say pirating from the likes of TWDC

Sport is the biggest one at the moment.

You're looking at around £100 a month for Sky and BT Sport and still can't legally watch your team play every match.

Meanwhile for £45 a year you can get IPTV on a firestick and watch any football match in the world.

Sky can do one.

Spotify saved the music industry from piracy with a fairly priced service.

If pirates were bad why would theme parks have areas dedicated to them

Captain Phillips GIF

Sport is the biggest one at the moment.

You're looking at around £100 a month for Sky and BT Sport and still can't legally watch your team play every match.

Meanwhile for £45 a year you can get IPTV on a firestick and watch any football match in the world.

Sky can do one.

Spotify saved the music industry from piracy with a fairly priced service.

While I passionately hate sky and how they operate, do you really think £45 a year sufficiently covers the production and broadcast costs of the entire world's video entertainment output? Of course it doesn't. Using IPTV to watch paid content is as unjustifiable as walking into currys, picking up a TV and walking out with it.

The only time I think you might be able to justify viewing pirated programming is when no legitimate means to watch it exist, and not just because its not out yet. It's still not right, but it's hard to see who is losing out when noone will sell you it anyway.

While I passionately hate sky and how they operate, do you really think £45 a year sufficiently covers the production and broadcast costs of the entire world's video entertainment output? Of course it doesn't. Using IPTV to watch paid content is as unjustifiable as walking into currys, picking up a TV and walking out with it.

The only time I think you might be able to justify viewing pirated programming is when no legitimate means to watch it exist, and not just because its not out yet. It's still not right, but it's hard to see who is losing out when noone will sell you it anyway.
Tbf there's no legitimate way to watch your team play on Saturday 3pm KO's.

I'm in favour of the 3pm blackout as it protects the smaller clubs in the football pyramid. But it does give the armchar fans no other option than to watch their team illegally.

I'm in favour of the 3pm blackout as it protects the smaller clubs in the football pyramid. But it does give the armchar fans no other option than to watch their team illegally.

...or respect the blackout you are in favour of!

Good old days when the best you could hope for was being a feature on Match of the day. You know? Why should we have all.of everything all the time? We shouldn't have time to consume so much. Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

This is the only reason that I ever view pirated programmes, and this is my justification if anyone ever asked why.

I don't condone piracy but it is a shame that a lot of sporting events that used to be on television for free now cost absurd amounts on Sky and BT such as the first division and champions league. As for the blackout, since every match in the top five divisions (six from next season) is available for streaming outside the UK and piracy is rampant, I reckon they would be better off just making the matches available at a fair price in the UK but a proportion of income should go to sustaining the lower leagues.

How times change. Piracy back in the 90's was copying a VHS tape of the latest movie numerous times and flogging them at a car boot sale. A friend of mine bought a "copy" of Aladdin when it was still in the cinema. It was basically some guy at the back of the cinema with a cam corder. You could see people getting up going to the toilet and hear the filmer cough a couple of times.

Getting the original PlayStation "chipped" to play pirate copies of games was all the rage at the time.

You could also disable the region lock on your Mega Drive with the simple nick of a stanley knife on part of the motherboard. You could also just snap off 2 corners of the cartridge slot on the console so that foreign cartridges fit into the slot. My mate had all manner of Japanese import games. That wasn't illegal though.

Internet privacy is a very complicated subject with lots of things to examine, should there be more legislation? In some places probably and in other definitely not. It's something that's well above my pay grade, but I do think overall people need to be more aware what's happening with there data and whether they are okay with it or not.

Internet privacy is a very complicated subject with lots of things to examine, should there be more legislation? In some places probably and in other definitely not. It's something that's well above my pay grade, but I do think overall people need to be more aware what's happening with there data and whether they are okay with it or not.
I think you're confusing internet piracy with internet privacy mate! :tearsofjoy: