• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

other parks group 'annual pass':

Thomas

TS Member
At present I hold very dear to my heart a Merin annual pass, when you look at the great range of attractions you get, aquariums, four theme parks as well as the others, it really does seem to be very good value.

This led to me think, would other parks ever unite to create an annual pass? I understand Merlin have a great monopoly in the UK, but would other parks ever try to compete by uniting? Say for example under a tourism board based initiative?

Would this be viable, and more importantly which non Merlin parks would you like to see included? Or even attractions?

Personally hailing from the Midlands, an annual pass with Drayton Manor, The National Space Centre and Waterworld would interest me: a good range of attractions with something a bit different about them. But would you like to see a pass be geographically bound as I've suggested? Perhaps Flamingoland, Paultons Park and Lightwater Valley would appeal more to you? A greater range of parks better spread.

One of the main issues I could see would be the parks agreeing on the price of the pass, and the distribution of money subsequently. But would it bring them more return visits and exposure? I'm due to visit Chessington for no other reason than curiosity and its inclusion on the annual pass for example.

Thomas.

Re: An other parks 'Merlin annual pass':

Nice idea, my full namesake. In reality I can never see this happening, however.

Re: An other parks 'Merlin annual pass':

Tom said:
Nice idea, my full namesake. In reality I can never see this happening, however.

Same, short version of my full namesake.

There is already a European initiative where owning a parks annual pass gets you one entry into other European parks (Example: if you have a EuropaPark annual pass you get one entry into PhantasiaLand amongst others).

Interestingly Tussauds used to be part of this but they opted out a few years ago.

Buying a PBB, Drayton, Flamingoland or Lightwater annual pass should give you one free day at each of the other parks, it's a marketing no-brainer.

I do think that we will see Merlin take over PBB in the next decade; they have been slowly encroaching upon Blackpool attraction by attraction - North to South - the Pleasure Beach is the next in line. It would be a major coup for Merlin and I can see them offering whatever it takes to force the Thompson's to concede.

This would obviously lead to PBB being added to the MAP, and probably the MAP price being increased. Maybe then we would see some long overdue major investment in the Pleasure Beach.

The Psychoaster said:
I do think that we will see Merlin take over PBB in the next decade; they have been slowly encroaching upon Blackpool attraction by attraction - North to South - the Pleasure Beach is the next in line. It would be a major coup for Merlin and I can see them offering whatever it takes to force the Thompson's to concede.

This would obviously lead to PBB being added to the MAP, and probably the MAP price being increased. Maybe then we would see some long overdue major investment in the Pleasure Beach.

I really doubt the Thompsons will ever sell the park, they have a close relationship with Merlin (they may have had input on entertainment at Merlin attractions, as well as the joint ticket in Blackpool). That said the family are very close to their park and i can never see them ever selling to Merlin.

Merlin buying the Pleasure Beach wouldn't get past the Competition Commission, they'd then own every major theme park in the UK except Drayton Manor, and it would definitely be considered a monopoly.

Sam said:
Merlin buying the Pleasure Beach wouldn't get past the Competition Commission, they'd then own every major theme park in the UK except Drayton Manor, and it would definitely be considered a monopoly.

Sell Chessie and they get around that, however i still think they wont, simply because the Thompsons wont sell.

The Psychoaster said:

No! :eek: M£rlin have enough of a monopoly as it stands. I seriously hope PBB never sells to them, it'd practically kill what's left of the UK theme park industry. :'(

Also PBB has seen plenty of investment in recent years, just not as thrill orientated as we'd like.

Dave said:
Sam said:

Sell Chessie and they get around that, however i still think they wont, simply because the Thompsons wont sell.

Good point about Chessie, but anyone will sell if offered the right price.

Sam said:

It's more the fragmented way the Thompson stake is now structured in the company, as much as Amanda is the boss (and quite frankly based on the last 3 years long may she reign) there are lots of siblings all with a stake.

So long as PBB makes a profit they will keep it, and as much as it struggled a couple of years ago it really seems to be succeeding now. I will always be a Towers fan boy but i do love the pleasure beach :)

Sam said:
Dave said:
Sam said:

Of course, selling Chessington and buying PBB would balance out the positioning of Merlin parks across the country - one in the North, one sort of in the middle/North, and one in the South. People would much rather see the Pleasure Beach on a MAP also, it would lead to many more sales for them.

Me and Jared had a half-joke idea a while ago for what we named the "F*** You Pass". It would cost at least £500, and would be a premium grade pass for every UK park. I'm sure that for the right ammount of cash, you could convince the various parks to sign up to such a scheme.

The Psychoaster said:

If the Thompsons sell, it'll be to Parques Reunidos.

WillPS said:
The Psychoaster said:

If the Thompsons sell, it'll be to Parques Reunidos.

Agreed. The worry there being that they'd care even less about heritage than the Thompsons. To be fair to them though, they do already own a similar US park, Kennywood. A very weird company, there seems to be no similarities between their parks at all, owning some great parks (Mirabilandia, Lake Compounce) and some gash (Bobbejaanland, Dutch Wonderland).

Re: other parks group 'annual pass':

Just to clarify, Alton towers used to be part of a European premier parks agreement, not Tussauds group, merlin put a stop to it almost as soon as they took over.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk