• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Attendance Figures 2011

Apart from the fact, Thirteen was finished but Sub Terra, the park were unsatisfied when it opened.

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

AstroDan said:
Apart from the fact, Thirteen was finished but Sub Terra, the park were unsatisfied when it opened.

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

We've discussed this a billion times, but if Sub-Terra had received overwhelming positive recation in the form that it opened on 24 March, it would have been left as it is. Likewise if Thirteen had received overwhelming negative recation when it opened, you can guarantee that things would have been added to the queue line, crypt and indoor section.

They're primarily concerned with customer satisfaction, which means having a successful investment in terms of financial return.

Can't we just accept that Europa and Efteling get more visitors than Towers because they're better parks, they invest more, and pay more attention to guest experience over pure profit?

Sam said:
Can't we just accept that Europa and Efteling get more visitors than Towers because they're better parks, they invest more, and pay more attention to guest experience over pure profit?

Well, Europa is in a country with 20 million more people than live here. And Efteling is by far and away the major park in the Netherlands - Alton has Thorpe and PBB to deal with in different areas which draw away some visitors.

thefatone said:
AstroDan said:
This is what happens when "The Ultimate Rollercoaster" doesn't quite fit the thrill seeker billing, coupled with no investment in new attractions.
The drop from 94-95 was way bigger. That was with nemesis, and whatever the new attractions were that year.

Erm Pretty sure 95 was Altons biggest ever year at 3.5m visitors before it fell to the 2.5/6m ish region.

94. 94 was the biggest ever year - then it fell down to around that in 95-96 etc.

Dunno figures before 94, but 2010 was definitely the biggest year since then.

Would love to see what this new coaster does to figures next year, hopefully economic environment has improved a bit and we see guests!

Sam said:

I would argue that's why they have BIGGER guest attendances but i think they suffer less from dips because a larger catchment area buffers them against economic factors because more people will potentially visit.

Tom said:
You can't really say anything about it other than that it's an extremely succesful ride from a business point-of-view, it took attendance to above 3 million for the first time ever. The adverts generated interest and anticipation that had not been seen since at least Air.

Some people were disppointed with it, you can't deny that, but it's reaction was more mixed as opposed to overwhelmingly negative like Sub-Terra was.

It was extremely successful from a business point of view in the short term, but in the long term I would stick it in the disaster category along with pretty much every decision they seem to make at the moment. They were able to stick a huge amount of promotion at it that did not relate to the ride experience in any way, that's great for the immediate figures, but once people turn up and realise they've been had they are somewhat disinclined to go and spend their money there again. There's only so many times people will fall for that before they give up entirely, stop believing the ads and never visit again.

All of Merlins attractions are run with a short term mind set, build something weak and promo the hell out of it, disappoint the public when they arrive in their droves by giving them the bare minimum for their money. Leave them with a bitter taste, but what does it matter? Merlin's already got the pounds in the bank and it'll be someone else's problem a couple of years down the line when they have sold the business no one is turning up any more.

Bucking that trend is Thorpe and The Swarm. They have built a good solid ride and themed it well. They have advertised it quite a bit, but in a 'classy' way. The figures it is generating this year may be a bit disappointing but in the long term I believe it will be a huge success. Those who visit are likely to return because they have been given something a bit special.