• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planning my first ever trip, looking for an offpark hotel

J

JRLDN

Good morning, I'm planning my first ever trip to Alton Towers. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best value hotel to stay in, preferably off park. Hotels.com isn't really throwing up much inspiration. I would say that I am using public transport, so ideally a hotel with a bus connection would be perfect.

Many thanks for reading,

JRLDN

I've not stayed there myself, but I've heard good reviews of the Chained Oak B&B. You can walk to the park from there.

Feel free to await other replies from more local members though. ;)

Welcome to the madhouse, anyway. :)

The Chained Oak is a great B&B.

The rooms are converted stables, but they are not cold. Rooms were in good condition. Breakfast was great, and there is some great views. Owners were nice and friendly as well, and said if we ever went back during summer, we are more than welcome to use the BBQ in the evening.

You can walk to the park, just take care as there is no path.

Ian

I'll third that the Chained Oak is a great place.

Always had a nice stay there. You are able to use a different entrance to the park, ask Liz who runs the B&B which is easily walk-able, obviously saving you the parking charge too.

The views are lovely, and most of the rooms, barring the family suits, are located in converted barns and are more than adequate.

There is a lovely big conservatory off the house where you have your breakfast, this can also be used to eat evening meals etc in and the owners welcome you to order a takeaway and sit in there for the evening.

Whilst at the park you will hopefully have gone on the 'Hex' ride which is based on the legend of a chained oak. The actual tree the legend (which many of the locals still believe) is based on, is just a stones throw from the B&B, which is obviously named after it. If you ask for directions form the owners they will direct you to it, but there is a path leading down from the entrance of the B&B's driveway, if you follow that down about 100yds on your right, there it is. It's quite a sight even in its current state (a little graffiti & a few more branches fallen) its definitely worth a visit if you have been on 'Hex.' There are steps leading up to it from the path. But if you hear an old woman's whispers, RUN! :eek: ;) Recommend in the dark with torches.

EDIT: To add, you mentioned Public Transport, there is public transport available to the park itself, which you already know is so close.

I would recommend the Chained Oak too, rooms were nice and breakfast was great. You can walk across a field (watch out for cow pats!) to the park, so if you are coming by bus you could get the bus to Alton Towers then walk to the Chained Oak. A walk in the woods in the vening is very nice, can see the Chained Oak tree that Hex is based on and walk along what was the railway to Alton. Can also order takeaway and use the dining room, or you could eat at Flambo's at Splash Landings and then walk back out to the B&B or even go up into Alton village (although that would be quite a walk up and down hills!).

Hope this all helps.

jon81uk said:
I would recommend the Chained Oak too, rooms were nice and breakfast was great. You can walk across a field (watch out for cow pats!) to the park, so if you are coming by bus you could get the bus to Alton Towers then walk to the Chained Oak. A walk in the woods in the vening is very nice, can see the Chained Oak tree that Hex is based on and walk along what was the railway to Alton. Can also order takeaway and use the dining room, or you could eat at Flambo's at Splash Landings and then walk back out to the B&B or even go up into Alton village (although that would be quite a walk up and down hills!).

Hope this all helps.

Thanks very much for the advice! I have always wanted to go to Alton Towers since I was a kid, I cannot wait!

Hope you have a fantastic time and let us know how you get on in a trip report!

If you have the money to spend sometime I would really recommend staying on resort - especially if you've never been before. It really sets up a magical experience :)

Scott said:
Hope you have a fantastic time and let us know how you get on in a trip report!

If you have the money to spend sometime I would really recommend staying on resort - especially if you've never been before. It really sets up a magical experience :)

Cheers mate :) I'll write up a full report, day by day.

Awesome :) it's always nice to see a park visit from the perspective of somebody who hasn't been before. Most people on here have been too many times to count!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Further to what Scott said about the resort, anyone is able to use the facilities even without being a guest. I would suggest after you have finished at the park, go into splash landings, have a drink Ma's, a Caribbean themed bar overlooking the waterpark, then head to the AT hotel via the skywalk (an indoor route taking you through/over the waterpark, through the conference centre and between the 2 hotels) then go down to the ground floor (in the lifts :) ) and enjoy a bite to eat at the Secret Garden Restaurant then have another drink in the Dragon Bar, which is lovely. Depending on how late you want to stay, there is entertainment in both Hotels, the Alton Towers hotel being more adult oriented, but still allowing for the younger audience.

Look forward to reading your trip report, also as Scott said, its always interesting to hear someones thoughts after visiting for the first time.

Lastly, have a browse of the forums, there are some very useful threads on how to maximize your day ie. get on the most rides.

Just found one at a quick glance:
http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/your-alton-towers-trip-reports-and-plans/help-5-kids-need-a-ride-plan-please-111013/

Just to throw a spanner into the works I would recommend The Blacksmith's Arms - the owner Dennis is lovely and will drive you both to and from the park gates if you tell him that's the purpose of your visit. Also the breakfast is amazing.

Laura said:
Just to throw a spanner into the works I would recommend The Blacksmith's Arms - the owner Dennis is lovely and will drive you both to and from the park gates if you tell him that's the purpose of your visit. Also the breakfast is amazing.

Spinners are good for theme parks :) I'll research the place now. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

While there are some great b and b near by it's worth noting the hotels do some excellent value week day breaks as well, so it's worth not totally ruling them out, especially as you will be in site and will needno further public transport while there ,

A little bit late but having just stayed at the chained oak I can't recommend it enough. You are really well looked after yet still left to your own devices.

The best part was how quiet and peaceful it was. Made for a nice contrast compared to how manic the hotels can be.