• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Pleasure Island, Cleethorpes

It was owned by Mingo in the past but yes sorry it wasn't his daughter but his sister that bought it from Gordon Gibb and it is run separately by Melanie Wood. They have no financial ties.

The parks are operated separately these days. They used to be family run as twin/sister parks exchanging rides and so forth but a dispute a few years back resulted in Pleasure Island temporarily closing down and then reopening by the breakaway family member Melanie Holland as an independent site.

Word is that she got a lot of money from the family bust up...

Anyway, weather has been good so far this season, so lets hope that the numbers will improve.

Yeah so people get off your asses and go there..

We are all enthusiasts (arent we) so go and visit the Damm Place. Myself and my wife have been twice this year to help visitor numbers....

Yep its no Europa, but its a UK park.. GO AND VISIT !!!!

The park's issue has always been its location. I don't know what they were thinking when they built it there. They put it in the most isolated corner of Lincolnshire, miles away from the largest local cities such as Leeds and Sheffield in a region with terrible transport links.

There's nothing else near to it that you'd want to visit. There's Grimsby, famous for its fish fingers and being well, a bit grim and Immingham which is famous for its oil refinery. Maybe it was incentivised to turn around the fortunes of Cleethorpes with the incorrect assumption that theme parks are automatic people magnets.

It's also poorly promoted. I would say that I definitely live within the park's catchment area and I only recall ever seeing one TV advert for the park and that was years ago. I've scarcely seen leaflets for it since. I just don't think people realise it's there.

As the crow flies it's the closest park to my house yet I've never been there and I don't know anyone who has. Getting to it just seems like a bit of a hassle, there's the bridge tolls to pay and it's always just been easier to go to Flamingoland which has always had a much more impressive ride lineup and has seen consistent investment. The last large ride to open at PL was in 2008 and that was a hand-me-down from Flamingoland.

So in conclusion, I reckon it's doomed.

It's not that bad a location. Cleethorpes is the nearest beach resort for South Yorkshire, and both Sheffield and Doncaster have an hourly train service with TransPennine Express. It also has pull from the Humber region, although people north rarely take the bridge south for the beach.

I'd agree promotion isn't what it should be, but Cleethorpes should be able to support an Amusement Park of some caliber.

Cleethorpes is overwhelmed with tourists every time the sun is out on a weekend in summer. The town attracts enough people for the park to be a success.

I suggest we all write to the owner with suggestions and ideas for improvements.

The problem is that people visiting Cleethorpes are primarily there for the sea (or in this case the estuary). Most of them probably only stay for the day and then go home.

Pleasure Island is a pay-one-price day out rather than the usual collection of seaside amusements. It's not the kind of place you'd typically visit on a whim, it's the kind of place you plan a visit for. As a destination park, which is what it markets itself as, I maintain that it's poorly located and that it's always going to struggle to attract people from further afield on its own merits. I suspect that much of their custom comes from the neighbouring static caravan site (which is actually called Thorpe Park).

Scarborough, which is a much bigger seaside resort with higher visitor numbers couldn't sustain its North Bay attractions so just being a popular seaside resort doesn't mean it's necessarily capable of sustaining a theme park.

In an extreme example, look at Terra Mitica. It's built at a popular seaside resort (Benidorm) but has been a financial disaster since opening.

Would a similar system to what the Pleasure Beach used to do help at all? Let people enter the park for free and give them the option of paying for tokens to ride individual rides or a wristband for the entire day?

I do agree that it's not in the best of locations but for its size it should be getting enough visitors with regards to the amount of people that visit or live in the area.

Anyway, I really don't think a £150k 4D Cinema will do much for them. Practically every other park has one. They clearly need value for money though, so perhaps they ought to look at what parks like Oakwood, Pleasurewood Hills and Lightwater Valley have been doing?

I like Tom's idea of writing to the owners with any suggestions. By the sounds of things, any help would be of use! :(

I visited many times as a child, as my holidays were always spent in Mablethorpe further down the coast.

I remember Gravitron, 1001 Nights, the fountain show & others! I loved that Pleasure Island was the AT graveyard :)! I really hated Alakazam, though - PAINFUL.

To read and digest that the park is on the brink of going under is really quite saddening.. we really don't need another park loss :(.

We should club together and go for a day trip to boost visitor numbers ;)

BigAl said:
Would a similar system to what the Pleasure Beach used to do help at all? Let people enter the park for free and give them the option of paying for tokens to ride individual rides or a wristband for the entire day?

It seems like a devolutionary step but it may be necessary for the park's survival. If they were to pursue the pay per ride route, they could perhaps work out a deal with the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway which is currently up for sale:

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Cleethorpes-Coast-Light-Railway-For-Sale.aspx

I don't think they should buy it as it's a bit dear at £665 000 and I suspect it also makes a loss as the net profit isn't disclosed. However, if the two organisations could work out an arrangement, it could be used as a means of ferrying guests between the promenade and the park as the park's about a mile down the coast from where the promenade ends.

They could perhaps even use the railway in conjunction with the Pleasure Island car park and run a park and ride for Cleethorpes on busy days.

You can see how the two attractions interact on Google maps:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=Pleasure+Island+Cleethorpes&ie=UTF-8

A deal between the current owners of the train (or the new owners, should they find a buyer) and opening the park up to everyone provided they have a wristband or tokens might help to bring more people into the park, even if they're only riding the odd attraction or buying from the shops (another benefit of not having to pay to enter).

Even if people don't immediately start riding everything, it's good advertising for another visit. People would be able to walk around and see everything for themselves, instead of being on the other side of the fence.

Btw, what rides are left at Loudoun and Camelot that would be worth moving to Pleasure Island?

Whilst it may feel like a step backwards I agree with the comments about using a proper Seaside style operation.

If the park is not that well publicised I'd say allow people to enter for free. This allows potential guests to walk around the park their own free will, see a ride they like the look of, and think "I might give that a go", and buy a ticket for it, rather than not visiting out of fear for not enjoying it.

It gives the park some easy exposure, and allows any potentially unsure visitors to have a look round at no financial loss to themselves. If guests don't ride anything it's no loss to the park, and they don't have angry guests saying they've wasted money. If they do ride, it gets money coming in, and should give them a decent draw.

Alternativly, although frowned upon by many, they could continue to charge admission to the park which doesn't include any rides but at a lower price, similar to how Pleasure Beach do. I know it's not all that popular with most of us, but there's no denying that it seems to work. PBB's finances, while still not amazing, are certainly an improvement over when Amanda Thompson first took the reins.

To counteract price the park could look into promotional lines. For example, if you travel to Cleethorpes on the train, or with a certain transport provider your entry will be free, or, if not charging for admission, you'll be given so many free ride tokens on presentation of a valid ticket or voucher. They could also look at doing this with local hotels and B&Bs. Ask the businesses to give visitors a book of coupons or something for the park, offering discounts on entry/ride credit, food and drink, or merchandise. This would not only help raise awareness of the park, to visitors, but also entice them to visit if they think they're getting a good deal.

Looking at their ride lineup they seem to have a few staple rides for various markets, including their Boomerang, and Vekoma Family Coaster. However, as The American Adventure proved, a park can easily flop without continuing, solid investment. For a park strugling financially second hand rides seem to be a great way to fall on solid ride's a lot cheaper than buying new ones. A quick lick of paint, and a bit of dressing up and no one will be any the wiser! As said earlier in this topic, with both Camelot and Loudon now closed there must be some rides, both family and thrill coming up on the market.

Looking at Oakwood as an example it's had several rather quiet years, but with the new Neverland addition this year it seems to have had an impact on the park. These were, I think, all second hand rides, purchased at the right price, and dressed up well.

New rides, combined with a strong advertising campaign should be an easy way to draw punters in. Especially when tied with a decent pricing structure.

I really do feel for the park at the moment. Since the whole Flamingo Land PLC debacle it seems to have really hit them hard. We don't want to see another UK park go under. Who actually owns the park these days? Is it family ran, or is there a parent company? Maybe if it is starting to get into trouble with issues which could be fixed with the right funding someone like Aspro maybe able to jump in and take it on, even if it's just partly.

The park isn't within wandering distance for a pay-per-ride system to be effective. It isn't on the promenade to be as popular as the Pleasure Beaches or Adventure Island etc.