• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Polandia - Legendia and Energylandia - June 2023

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Last week myself, @Sazzle and @Russell ventured to new lands for us, Poland! With Energylandia having grown somewhat enormously over the past 10 years it has been on the to-do list for a little while. And of course it would have been rude not to check in on Legendia whilst in the area. Not only that, we actually did some tourist/culture stuff, a rarity on these theme park jaunts!

Day 1 - Fly Out and Krakow

We flew out bright and early on Monday morning last week from Stansted airport, arriving at Krakow airport around midday. Very smooth flight with Ryanair (operated by Buzz, a delightful bumble bee) and we then collected our hire care which was a nearly brand new Toyota Corolla saloon. Perfectly decent car, not the most comfortable driving position; it did have Apple Car Play which made music and navigation simple and straightforward.

Our hotel was only a couple of minutes down the road, we had opted to base ourselves at the Hampton by Hilton Krakow Airport for this trip. It seemed like a good base and was a very new hotel, plus we would have an extremely early start for our journey home so being close to the airport meant no real travel time! The hotel turned out to be a great base! The room was a tad on the small side with 3 sharing, but other than that I couldn't fault it. A pretty good bar/restaurant also, we ate in the hotel on 3 three occasions and all of my meals (pasta, burger, Polish pork chop) were delicious!

After grabbing a quick sandwich we decided to head in to Krakow for the afternoon/evening. We all wanted to be able to have a drink, so got an Uber from our hotel to the centre of the city. Bonus of being right by the airport, there was always an Uber barely a minute away! I think it only cost about £5 for journey in to Krakow, and £8 back later that evening.

Krakow is such a beautiful city, the old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it is easy to see why. Wherever you look there is a wonderful old building, the main square is absolutely massive with ample places to eat and drink, and the castle/cathedral are a must see. We just had a wander around, enjoyed a couple of beers (or wines) and then found a lovely restaurant for what was the best meal of the trip. Following this a visit to a cocktail bar, and then it was back to our hotel for a good nights sleep ahead of what was set to be a busy day 2.

Day 2 - Auschwitz and Wieliczka Salt Mine

I feel that you can't come to this part of Poland and not visit Auschwitz. We all know of the atrocities that took place here, but seeing it all for yourself really helps you understand the sheer scale of what the Nazis did and how it was planned to every last little detail. We were on the official tour which I cannot recommend enough. Our tour guide was fantastic, set the right tone and gave what information was needed and then let what your eyes saw do the rest of the talking. It of course left us all feeling very sombre; I still find it difficult to comprehend how evil some humans can be, and how complicit others are.

So to brighten our moods, we had booked to visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine in the afternoon, and were doing the Tourist Route tour. Wow, this was worth it and then some! As part of the tour and museum visit you only see about 1.5% of the entire mine complex, but it is quite astonishing. I don't want to give too much away, as part of our amazement was not knowing at all what to expect. But again, if you're in the area and have time, this is a must do attraction!

Day 3 - Legendia

Now on to the bits you're all far more interested in, the theme parks!

There is of course only one reason for visiting Legendia - finally being able to get on Twin Looper (formerly of American Adventure)... sorry, I mean Lech Coaster! Without Lech Coaster this park would not be close to being on a theme park enthusiasts radar. But as it is very easy to do with a trip to Energylandia it's more than worth popping in.

I had suspected that Legendia would be quiet, but not quite as quiet as it was. There cannot have been more than 300 people in the park, and even that might be me being a tad generous. At times it was like we'd hired the park out ourselves with not another guest in sight! The park will have lost money that day, unless there was a sudden influx of guests after we left (which was at about 4.30pm, with the park open until 7pm).

Needless to say that, after grabbing a coffee, we worked our way around to Lech Coaster and waiting for it to open at 11.30am. Managed to do it twice without leaving the station, front and back row, and we had the train to ourselves both times! So, my thoughts on the parks 3 coasters are as follows:

Lech Coaster

There is hype for this coaster (looking at you @Danny 👀), and hype for a coaster can be a dangerous thing. It can set your expectations too high, causing you to be let down when you experience it for yourself. I was really hoping that this wouldn't be the case with Lech, as ever since it opened back in 2017 I've thought it looked a top class coaster. The positioning of the coaster in the park is spot on, right across the lake from when you walk in. Needless to say that it dominates its surroundings, and that first drop from certain angles looks batshit. I also had not appreciated just how tall Lech is, and it is noticeable how the rest of the coaster is much lower to the ground compared to the lift/first drop.

Anyway, did Lech deliver? Short answer: yes. Our first couple of rides in the morning were good, and then once it had warmed up later in the day it went to another level. This coaster is an unrelenting beast, and once warmed up there was one section where I nearly greyed out each time. This fast, intense, crazy coaster is made a delight to ride by the brilliant new Vekoma trains complete with vest restraints that B&M should take a look at when it comes to comfort. There is no locking of the vest, meaning that when there is airtime to be had, you do pop up. I was worried that vest restraints as opposed to over the head lap restraints would ruin Lech, but they did not at all. Lech is also perfectly smooth. How did Vekoma go from being so bad to so good?

Lech Coaster is also really well themed with various near missed and an inversion through the impressive station building. There is also a pre-show, however this was not running during our visit, probably because of how dead the park was.

Devil's Loop
Ahh, the former Twin Looper, @Sazzle was in her element here. As previously eluded to, I never went to American Adventure so never rode this when it was on our own shores. But now I would get the chance to Soquet and see what it was all about. Right turn the ride, as I like to call it, was actually not as bad as I was expected. Pretty smooth, albeit very unrefined. The shared OTSRs are an interesting contraption. There's nothing more to say really, it's presented well and does a job.

Dream Hunters Society
I've been riding coaster for 15 years now, yet until this day I had not ridden any iterations of a Zyklon/Galaxi coaster. These look crap, are pretty crap, but it was a good laugh; sounds like the front of the car is more comfortable than the back. Very much a one and done.

As for the rest of Legendia, there is not a whole lot to shout about. The park's rapid's, which opened in 2020, are from Hafema and are not massively dissimilar to those at Toverland. Very pretty, you don't get too wet, but they would have been enhanced by some audio. There is also an ETF interactive trackless dark ride, Bazyliszek, which for a park like Legnedia is pretty impressive. It's not a patch on something like Symbolica but a really solid and decently themed family ride. Tricky to find the entrnace to the queue though, they clearly build too much queue line and have turned much of in to an arcade/kids play area!

We had been hoping to sit with a drink by Lech Coaster, however this large food outlet was closed during our visit. Not really surprising, having it open would have been throwing money down the drain. There were actually only 2 food outlets open in the park; one at the end of the entrance street and one in the same building as the dark ride. We opted for pizza near the entrance for lunch, where our pizza was freshly made and cooked - delicious!

Legendia is a really well presented park. Clearly there are areas that need work, and there are still a lot of temporary fairground rides. But you can see with new investments that they do want to go down a themed experience route, which is great. Like everywhere we went in Poland it was spotlessly clean, Polish people clearly take more pride in keeping their environments clean and tidy than we do here in the UK.

It was back to our hotel after we had finished with the park, and then an Uber just down the road to a traditional Polish style restaurant which felt like a cross between Silver Lake Saloon and EP and Rutmor's Tavern at Phantasialand for what was another delicious meal.

Days 4 and 5 at Energylandia will follow!

Let me guess, Baba Jagas was the other eatery open? Fish fingers and chips or starve.

Let me guess, Baba Jagas was the other eatery open? Fish fingers and chips or starve.
I have no idea what it was called, but it was the food outlet in the same building as the dark ride!

Glad to hear Lech delivered. I still find it criminal people venture all that way, spend endless days at Energylandia, and totally miss out on what is ostensibly a prettier environment with one of the best coasters on the continent.

Days 4 & 5 - Energylandia

I'm going to merge the two days of Energylandia in to one review so that I can give my thoughts on the rides that we did and the park as a whole. Energylandia has 17 coasters and trying to get everything done in one day, as well as re-rides on the good stuff, sounded far too stressful. So we had two full days set aside for the park.

Energylandia is a park I have wanted to visit for a while, especially since the addition of Zadra. It's clearly a park that has developed extremely quickly; 10 years ago it had not even opened. And I knew it was a park of two halves; the 'older' half of the park with a lot of the original cheap rides and then the more recent themed areas at the back of the park. I really went in not knowing what I'd make of the park, would it feel like a complete mess or would it work? Would it be a nice place to spend time or just be one of those parks you go around, do the rides, then get the hell out of there.

Our first impressions of Energylandia were as we neared the park on our drive, first I saw Hyperion towering in to the sky and then to the right, Zadra. Wow, nothing beats arriving at a park with an awesome coaster skyline. Our second impressions of Energylandia were when we got out of the car, and apprached the entrance and saw rather a lot of people waiting for the gates to open. It didn't look like the park was going to be quite a quiet as had been expected! Turns out there were school trips, and lots of them. I'll come on to those later.

Park hours were 10am-6pm both days, and knowing that many guests would rush straight to Hyperion at 10am (as it is right by the entrance), we hot footed it over to Zadra on our first morning to get in a couple of rides. Our strategy on the first day was to 'complete' the back of the park first, before working our way back through the park with the aim of reaching Hyperion at mid-afternoon when it was likely to be quietest. Then we'd end the day at the back of the park again. The strategy on our second day was to begin with mopping up some of the coasters we had not managed to get on during our first day, before getting re-rides on the good stuff.

Right, on to the coasters! Ranked roughly in the order that I rated them in.

Zadra

This is arguably the main reason why many enthusiasts have flocked to Energylandia in recent years. A big ass RMC, 206ft tall, with 3 inversions and since it has opened a great reputation. I'm no stranger to an RMC, having ridden many in the US and Untamed here in Europe. Steel Vengeance is my number 1 coaster, and I had no expectation that Zadra would threaten this. Spoiler alert: it didn't. Zadra is a great coaster though! It has more of a focus on twists and transitions than airtime (although you still get airtime) compared to many other RMCs.

The first drop is amazing, especially on the back row. And then the small bunny hop taken at an angle is very unusual. You reach speeds of 75mph and Zadra really is unrelenting, which makes it quite difficult to remember the exact layout! Depending on where you are in the train you sometimes don't even notice the zero-g stall. It's such a powerful coaster though, even more so once it has warmed up. And it carries serious speed in to the brakes. I'd say Zadra is more forgiving on the thighs than say Steel Vengeance or Storm Chaser; there aren't any RMC ejector bunny hops. But it does throw you from side to side.

I've not yet worked out where it ranks with the RMCs I have ridden. But yeah, a great coaster. HOWEVER, who on earth thought it was a good idea to building such a hideously long and wide queue line for this coaster!? If the whole thing was full the queue would be pushing 5 hours! Complete madness.

Hyperion

I've heard very mixed things about Hyperion. Some love it, some seem to thing it's bang average. This seems to be a common trend with hyper coasters whether they be B&M or Intamin. Needless to say it looks mighty impressive! We all really enjoyed it! Like Zadra the first drop is great, and then you get some amazing prolonged airtime on the first airtime hill. The dive drop "inversion" completely caught be by surprise on the first ride. The hill that follows this doesn't provide quite as much airtime as you'd hope, but then the rest of the layout very much hugs the ground with some great transitions and pops of airtime.

It is a super fun coaster, and again has a lot of power. We all found that it was more comfortable riding it on the inner raised seats than the lower outer seats; the latter were a bit rattily.

Also like Zadra, this has a stupidly long queue that cannot be made any shorter. Very frustrating. It also has metal detectors at the entrance to the queue, so no loose belongings are allowed.

Abyssus

Having opened in 2021, Abyssus is Energylandia's newest major coaster. Another new model from Vekoma, I must admit from POVs it looked weaker than I thought it would when first announced. It is located in the beautiful new Aqualantis area of the park, and although the area and the coaster are themed well, you can see where the money did run out. The maintenance shed for example is just completely unfinished, there are small metal supports that go over some of the track that look like they were meant to be for something, and much of the coaster that is meant to be over water isn't.

Anyway, Abyssus is a really fun coaster! Nowhere near as intense as say Lech Coaster, but I don't think it is trying to be. Both launches are better than anything Icon attempts to deliver, there are some nice little pops of airtime throughout and 4 inversions along the way. It feels to be on a similar thrill level to Blue Fire at Europa-Park, maybe slightly above it. It's extremely re-rideable and the new Vekoma trains are once again a delight. Abyssus definitely exceeded my expectations!

Formula

Another new generation Vekoma. Unfortunately we only rode Formula once, and this was on our first day. The second day it was only on one train which made the wait rather unappetising. Because of this my memory of it is somewhat cloudy, but it was another fun, smooth and thrilling coaster from Vekoma. The sooner a park in the UK gets one of these the better! The theme is a bit basic mind, it wouldn't surprise me if they revisit it at some point in the future.

Speed

Speed is an Intamin water coaster with an elevator lift. At 164ft it's rather tall for a water ride, and the very linear drop is somewhat unusual. I rode on row 3 of 5, and did not realise until sitting in the boat that it is actually made up of 2 cars. Row 3 is the front of the second car, which meant a very large splash of water at the bottom of the drop!

It's a really fun water ride, and clearly very popular! It had a 30 minute queue whereas the rapids had no queue.

Dragon Roller Coaster

A Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster - these are always solid family coasters. This is the 453m model which is one that I had not ridden before, and I think it is safe to say it's the best layout of those I have done! Riding it on the back row, it really whipped you around. One of the better coasters at the park!

WARNING - the coaster reviews from this point on contain an awful lot of shit.

Roller Coaster Mayan

Ahhh, an SLC, hello my old friend. Thankfully this does have the new Vekoma trains with vest restraints, so there is no head banging. Still, it is an SLC, so it's pretty poor. Nicely themed station though!

Boomerang & Light Explorers

These are both Vekoma Family Boomerang coasters. It's well known that I am not a fan of these coasters, but I slightly preferred the layout of Light Explorers. It is in Aqualantis, which means it's mostly over water; a nice touch.

Energus & Frida

The park has two Vekoma Junior Coasters, and will have a third once Sweet Valley opens. That must be a record in itself! These are always decent family coasters, which is the case here. And there's not much else to say.

Mars

I think this is one of the coasters that opened with the park, it's an SBF Visa kids coaster with some of the most bizarre theming I have ever seen. Rather inoffensive mind. I couldn't ride in row 2 as the restraint was missing...!

Draken

A Preston & Barbarians (sorry, Barbieri) kids coaster. It's crappy kids coaster, we rode it early in the day after Zadra when no one else was around. Yeah, enough said.

Happy Loops

This is shit. This is an SBF Visa spinning coaster. It's a figure of 8 layout, and you are sent round at least 8 times. It is really shit. Next time I am at the park, if anyone wishes to ride it I'll be getting an ice cream from the nearby food outlet!

Viking Roller Coaster

This is offensively shit. An SBF Visa Spinning Coaster with over the shoulder restraints. Who thought that was a good idea!? Uncomfortable, awful and easily one of the worst coaster I have ever ridden.

We did not ride Frutti Loop Coaster or Circus Coaster. Fed up of the shit by this point!

In terms of non-coasters, we rode the Disko, the rapids and the Monster House dark ride. The Disko did what it said on the tin, the rapids were a tad boring to be honest but quite nicely landscaped. Thankfully most of the waterfalls were off, otherwise we could have got soaked! Monster House however is embarrassingly bad. An old ghost train style ride system with static theming and some flashing lights. Wow. Send in those bulldozers!

The park does have countless other rides that we did not bother with. I wanted to do the frisbee flat, but upon discovering it was an SBF Visa and not a Zamperla Discovery of some kind I became less keen, and the wait of more than one cycle put us off. The tower ride was also missed as it looked, well, very boring.

I suppose that is one of the problems with Energylandia. There are so many rides but only a handful that are good. The upside of this is that there is lots to absorb guests on busier days. The park was fairly busy on both days we were there, but queues for the most popular rides never went above 20 or 30 minutes. It also means that there is absolutely loads for kids to do, which is great!

I feel like I've written a lot here, so I'll continue this another day with my thoughts of the park itself, the F&B and some other bits and bobs from our time spent there. I will say now though, it is a park I enjoyed more than I was expecting to!

I just can’t get over how horrific Viking is; it’s almost as if SBF Visa deliberately tried to make the thing as torturous as they physically could. Sooner it’s torn down the better.

Great TR though.

Energylandia could do with a headline flat ride but having said that I did actually really enjoy Aztec Swing. It seems to swing through the station quite fast and give a very good foot chopper effect.

Glad that you made the trip in to Krakow, it’s a lovely old city and the Cathedral up on Wavel Hill is absolutely stunning inside.

Apocalypto is pretty shit, worse than a lot of the other rubbish at Energylandia but not as bad as Viking. That is a whole load of shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Energylandia - Final Thoughts

So as promised, here are some of my thoughts on Energylandia as an overall theme park offering. I'm going to break this down in to positives and negatives.

Positives
  • It's a massive theme park, and it does have major theme park VIBES. Most of the rides may be somewhere on the scale of poor to average, but there are enough good coasters to make up for it
  • F&B was a real surprise for us! We ate lunch one day in the Scandinavia self serve restaurant, and then the second day in The Hall of Columns in Aqualantis which is also self serve. Both very Europa-Park in style, with great menus and large seating area. Portion sizes were huge as well! The Hall of Columns had some delicious looking Asian food, too risky for me with my nut allergy which was a shame. But there really is a huge variety of F&B offering across the park from international cuisine, to Polish cuisine and then your theme park staples like burgers and pizzas. Spot on!
  • Sticking with F&B, there are also lots of places to pick up a snack or sweet treat. Some really cool ice cream options in Aqualantis! There are also nice places to sit down and enjoy a beer (or other beverage of your choice), I was not expecting there to be nice places to sit and relax at Energylandia!
  • Poland has what is effectively a zero tolerance policy on drink driving, so on the day I was driving back from the park I did not have a drink. However, many outlets stock a vast range of alcohol free beers, including an awesome range of flavoured beers by Lech! I was a big fan of the lime and mint.
  • The new themed areas, Dragon Zone and Aqualantis, are both really well done, especially the latter. In the centre of Aqualantis there is an area with three F&B outlets, all with outdoor seating, which is just a lovely place to relax
  • Operations were pretty good across the board. Not EP level, but good enough. There is fastpass on a small handful of rides but the impact of this is not significant
  • The park itself is incredibly clean and well presented. Lots of nice planting and landscaping as well; we saw gardeners putting in some new bedding plants during our visit
  • The majority of rides require you to put your bags in a locker rather than leaving them in the station, not a bad idea as it definitely helps with throughputs. You pay 14PLN for a locker (about £2.70) and get given a wristband with a barcode on it. This lets you use all lockers around the park all day. And they're well sized, we got 3 bags in 1 locker
Negatives
  • The front of the park, despite not being as bad I was expecting, is a bit of a mess. You can see the approach they were going for in the early days and it clearly worked, so I can forgive them somewhat. But you have a lot of different themes all on top of each other, and some blatant IP rip offs in places which they really should address; they are not needed
  • The park layout is frustrating. As it stands, the layout of the park from front to back is effectively a line with no loop. There is only one way in and out of Aqualantis, which makes it a real pain to get to. This will be helped somewhat when Sweet Valley opens, as then Dragon Zone, Aqualantis and Sweet Valley will form a loop at the back of the park
  • I've already mentioned the hideously long and wide queue lines for Zadra and Hyperion, but this is not the only problem with these queues. When you get to the end of the queue lines, instead of a normal merge point where you are batched in to rows (or the station) which works perfectly well on most other coasters around the world, Energylandia have devised this system of lanes. Each lane has a turnstyle at the end of it which lets a set number of guests through, and you then wait for the doors in to the station to open. It means the front row on either of these coasters is a write off, as their lanes are always full so you'd be looking at a much longer wait. The Hyperion the room where the lanes are has no ventilation at all, a really horrible stuff environment
  • Speaking of queues, this is not the parks fault, but I mentioned that there were lots of school trips when we were there. And this of course means queue jumping so the stragglers can get up to the front of the queue where their friends are. And as many of the queue lines are wide, it is easy for them to get past. Come our last ride on Hyperion, we had become totally fed up of this queue jumping so when 2 kids wanted to get past, we made a 3 person wall for the entirety of the queue. Of course, they got straight past when reaching the batching lane room
Overall I did really enjoy Energylandia, and it is a park that I would happily go back to. The Sweet Valley area is much needed; it will add another well themed area and a solid family coaster in the form of the Vekoma Mine Train. Doesn't look like the Tilt Coaster will be happening any time soon, but I would rather them focus on improving areas of the front of the park before building another coaster/area at the back of the park.

They could also do with more dark rides. The one dark ride they have is shocking and should really be removed. I know dark rides are expensive and sometimes difficult to do without an IP, but a trackless dark ride and say a Flying Theatre would really enhance the park's offering. A log flume would also be great!

It is also clear that they have taken inspiration from other theme parks. A lot of what they are trying to do, how they present themselves and the offering they wish to achieve does feel somewhat Europa-Park. Clearly they are not at the same level, but you can see the influence EP has had on them. And the Dragon Zone themed area feels somewhat inspired by Klugheim at Phantasialand.

-----

Poland really was fantastic - everywhere and everyone was so welcoming and friendly. Getting around by car was so easy, I'd heard that Polish roads weren't always the best, but there are far less potholes in Poland than on the roads in the UK at the moment!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this, I do hope it was enjoyable!

Glad you enjoyed it Rob!

I visited in October and really enjoyed the place. If you're going by public transport from Krakow you need to pre-book the bus as I found out the hard way...thankfully the train is an option, although they run about every 3 hours. Plus side is you get one of those cool road train things to take you from the station to the park!

I actually really liked Energylandia and I agree the back of the park is MUCH better than what the front has to offer. I did all 17 creds in one day and I must admit it felt exhausting, and with the long queue lines with Zadra for example it makes a reride difficult and I agree I didn't like the loading process for it. As stupid as it is to have like 2 junior boomerangs and such, I do respect that the younger visitors have a decent choice of coasters for them, even if they are basically the same!

It's had a great almost 10 years, but I'd like to see the front of the park redone to match the back. It's not a top tier park, but I could tell that's eventually their goal and where they are at the moment is a good position to be in.

The front half needs a careful applied wrecking ball. The confusing entrance usually half blocked by ents, the crap positioned smaller rides, the utter balls like Viking and Apocalyptico. Send in the bulldozers

We just got back yesterday from 3 days there. It was my first park abroad so I’ve only ever done the UK coasters and I simply cannot put into words how much I loved Zadra. Loved it so much and the whole area around it, just gorgeous. (My hips and knees are not thanking me for walking that queue multiple times though).

Happy Loops - 100x worse than Viking! It’s looks so cute and friendly but is an absolute torture machine.

Loved it so much and the whole area around it, just gorgeous. (My hips and knees are not thanking me for walking that queue multiple times though).
Was the gate by the lockers not open allowing quick rerides? It was a godsend last time we went.

Was the gate by the lockers not open allowing quick rerides? It was a godsend last time we went.
It was only open for the first 40 mins or so.
We made the most of it and started each day with laps but it stayed firmly closed for the rest of the day. We tended to have the first hour on Zadra and the last hour (or two) on Zadra plus a ride or two after lunch because we were in that general area and it would’ve been rude not to.
They do really need to sort their queuelines, at no point did I see the queue go beyond the bottom of the stairs by the lockers so why on earth they make you walk the whole thing is a complete mystery?