• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

The Universal folks at the consultation said it would be something between islands of adventure and Epic Universe.

I would expect two large coasters. One being a signature thrill ride with the other being a family thrill ride (like Hagrids)

Last edited:
The Universal folks at the consultation said it would be something between islands of adventure and Epic Universe.

I would expect two large coasters. On being a signature thrill ride with the other being a family thrill ride (like Hagrids)

Both IOA and EU have 3+ Coasters, so if it's a middle ground between them then really we should expect 3-4 Coasters on opening. I'm not even sure whether it being in the middle means much, IOA is still amazing and UGB won't have an area that needs upgrading or unused buildings/attractions on opening. So perhaps UGB doesn't get the whole portal theme from EU, but really is that an issue? UGB needs to be it's own beast.

Would technically be Sega that would have to license this. But I am absolutely desperate for a theme park operator to build a Sonic themed area. I can't think of any unused IP that lends itself better to a looping launch coaster and themed area.

Do SEGA and Nintendo still hate each other? If Universal plonk a SNW land in there, SEGA might be reluctant to license their IP.

Do SEGA and Nintendo still hate each other? If Universal plonk a SNW land in there, SEGA might be reluctant to license their IP.

Those days are long gone, they aren’t the big rivals that they once were and since SEGA pulled out of the hardware business they’ve developed plenty of games for Nintendo consoles going back to the release of Super Monkey Back as a launch title for the GameCube in 2001. They’ve put out plenty of Sonic games on Nintendo consoles over the years, there’s no real rivalry between the two companies.

No. Quite the opposite actually. After Sega exited the hardware business when they pulled the Dreamcast, they initially published more games for the GameCube than they did for Xbox or PlayStation 2. The GameCube was the first to get ports of Dreamcast games such as Sonic Adventure 2 and Crazy Taxi. The Sonic Advance series was developed exclusively for the Gameboy Advance, and they co-developed the popular series of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games for Wii, which had both Mario and Sonic universe characters in the same game.

Both Japanese companies with similar cultural traditions and gaming at the central core of their business models, squeezed by tech giant Sony and software giant Microsoft in the 90's and 2000's. Both have stated that their own Intellectual Properties are the most valuable part of their business. Nintendo use their franchises heavily to push their consoles, Sega recently announced a series of new games solely based on their existing properties to turn around their game development division.

We've seen a Super Nintendo World open, a new Mario movie, 3 Sonic movies (3rd is being released this year), newly commissioned cartoon series, merchandise for both properties remains extremely popular, and of course regular game releases in recent years. Both are big business, as is gaming nostalgia as we saw with those whole mini console things, and probably compliment eachother.

I can’t remember if we’ve discussed this before, but there was some speculation last autumn that Universal were considering purchasing PortAventura. If the UK park goes ahead is there still the possibility that Universal could still look to have a park in mainland Europe as well or was it really just a case that they were scoping out PA as one of a number of options and then found that a UK park was their preferred option?

Pokemon would be incredible, it’s been mainstream for well over 20 years so would appeal to all ages, the variety of pokemon (and areas) would lend itself to all manner of different attractions/rides, and they could do some incredible theming. Would love a whole Pokémon theme park not just one area!

Last edited:
Pokemon would be incredible, it’s been mainstream for well over 20 years so would appeal to all ages, the variety of pokemon (and areas) would lend itself to all manner of different attractions/rides, and they could do some incredibly theming. Would love a whole Pokémon theme park not just one area!
I would do anything for a pokemon area. You could easily have a pokemon snap themed dark ride etc. Something like animal crossing or sonic I also think would work really well theming wise. It would be nice to get a theme that hadn't already been done in the US parks!

I would do anything for a pokemon area. You could easily have a pokemon snap themed dark ride etc. Something like animal crossing or sonic I also think would work really well theming wise. It would be nice to get a theme that hadn't already been done in the US parks!
I could see a potential Nintendo land being either Pokémon or Mario Kart

I can’t remember if we’ve discussed this before, but there was some speculation last autumn that Universal were considering purchasing PortAventura. If the UK park goes ahead is there still the possibility that Universal could still look to have a park in mainland Europe as well or was it really just a case that they were scoping out PA as one of a number of options and then found that a UK park was their preferred option?

I think they were doing their due diligence. I don't think Universal want to enter the European market via a rebranding and then having to retrofit an already built park. They'd rather have their own spot and do it their way from the ground-up and if the market welcomes it they can revisit PA at a later date.

I think they were doing their due diligence. I don't think Universal want to enter the European market via a rebranding and then having to retrofit an already built park. They'd rather have their own spot and do it their way from the ground-up and if the market welcomes it they can revisit PA at a later date.
It's not like they have experience at rebranding and retrofitting a park either, especially one in the European market or Spain... Oh. Wait.

1000018026.jpg