• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

Bedford huh? Not a particular fan of the location to be honest.. It's too far from the massively touristic and overpopulated London and too close to what it would be it's main competitor, Alton Towers.

In order for a resort like this to have massive success I think it should be somewhere near London outskirts (and the closest to central London the better) and promoted as one of the main attractions of the city just like the London Eye is. I can't see any tourist doing the 1 and a half to 2 hours worth of travel just to get there. Some of them do the travel for the Harry Potter Tour. That's the farthest I would go.

But Universal would know better, ofc

A massive amount of tourists travel to Windsor Castle and that is probably a similar comparison in terms of a journey. It’s going to be well connected, and be a resort in itself with hotels and plenty of quality accommodation around it. And Alton Towers is 115 miles away from it (and that does feel like it’s in the middle of nowhere) so I’m not sure why you think this park would be too close to it. Universal aren’t stupid, they’ve very specifically bought land in this location because they believe it’s the best place for them, and they’ve stated that it’s relative proximity to both London and an airport (Luton) were major factors in that decision. Absolutely people will travel to go and visit a Universal Park and it certainly won’t be that difficult to get to.

Last edited:
I think one aspect that overlooked is the current cost of getting a family of 4 to Orlando and do many of the parks. I was planning to take my family back in 2020 but covid put a stop to that. When I got a quote for the following summer do 9 nights at Easter we were looking at 12k all in which is utterly ridiculous and 2k more than the previous year.

Florida parks are some of the absolute best but it's getting so expensive for the average family to go there. If this goes ahead in the UK it will appeal to a significant section of families who can't or won't pay the money needed for Florida.

We only have 1 child but fully expecting it to cost 10 or 11 grand for the 3 of us in 2025.

It's ridiculous really for a two week holiday but it is what it is.

The only thing that's changed since the start of this thread is that Universal have confirmed what was already suspected. Whilst I agree that it's more realistic than London Resort ever was, and that the location is pretty much a perfect choice, there's still no smoking gun proof that this will ever get off the ground much more than there was on page one.

The severe uphill battle that such a proposal faces to get spades in the ground still exists and hasn't changed. Read what Universal have said again and they couldn't spell it out more clearly with their caution. They're in the extremely early stages of exploration. It's quite easy for a business with such deep pockets to buy land and flog it on, not at a loss as has been suggested, but actually for a profit. In fact, I don't see a single reason why you wouldn't do that. If you find an ideal site and have the means to buy, you snap it up for cheap whilst the legal teams do the due diligence. If it doesn't stack up, you flog it. They've only come out now because they've been caught red handed. People seriously need to calm down to avoid later disappointment.

Regarding "competition", it seems like discussion is being compared to switching broadband providers or buying a car. It's nowhere near as simple as that. Towers and Universal parks operate in quite different markets. They're not in the same league. Where there is competitive overlap, the notion of Merlin "upping their game" is rediclous. There's no way they would suddenly start investing £millions into Towers just to keep up with the Jones's. They'd likely accelerate their current downgrading of Towers to keep costs down and offer a lower priced alternative.

I find it bizzare that the massive cut backs in the wake of the Smiler crash, some of which remain to this day, are frequently excused, yet there's a hope that that'll respond to a possible competitive hit differently? That's a complete contradiction.

Yeah circa £100 a day ticket prices aren't going to work here for families. Hardcore fans would find the money but that's not enough to keep a presumably 365 day a year park operational.

But then again this park, if it happens, might not open until 2030 or later. £100 a day by then might not sound as expensive as it does today.
I can’t see families of 4 spending £400 plus express passes if u want to do everything in a day, petrol, parking, food and maybe a overnight stay if it’s hours are gonna be like the Florida parks.
In total you’re looking at a minimum cost £600 going up to £1000.

Now Merlin could charge £100 a ticket by the time this opens but with the 2 for 1 tickets, petrol, parking and food it’s gonna cost roughly £350.

It's now being reported by the London Evening Standard also. It's gained traction very quickly. Here's hoping for everyone's sake that we won't have a disappointing outcome like with the London Resort's failures.

I don’t think the number of news outlets reporting is relevant, they are just picking up on earlier reports, that’s how the news works.

I can’t see families of 4 spending £400 plus express passes if u want to do everything in a day, petrol, parking, food and maybe a overnight stay if it’s hours are gonna be like the Florida parks.
In total you’re looking at a minimum cost £600 going up to £1000.

Now Merlin could charge £100 a ticket by the time this opens but with the 2 for 1 tickets, petrol, parking and food it’s gonna cost roughly £350.

This is much more likely to be comparable to the Universal parks outside of Orlando though, where tickets are £40 a day, where you can ride everything without an express pass and where an overnight stay is only required for longer journeys.

Surprised people are criticising it as a location too. It really is about as good as you can get and arguably more accessible than any of the Merlin parks (excluding Heathrow which isn't particularly relevant imo). The St Pancreas direct link is massive, with potential walking distance at the other end.

Actually, you can get to London from Bedford in under an hour via the Thameslink. London Luton Airport is a stone's throw away. I live in a London borough, the proposed location is about 35 minutes away from where I am.
Remember the Thamslink goes direct from Gatwick Airport to Bedford. It takes 2 hours, but atleast it's a one and done. So on the same line you have Luton Airport and St Pancras International for mostly European arrival and departures, and Gatwick with a more international contribution. Heathrow isn't too hard either. Just get the new Elizabeth line to Farringdon and then jump on the Thameslink to Bedford.

The only thing that's changed since the start of this thread is that Universal have confirmed what was already suspected. Whilst I agree that it's more realistic than London Resort ever was, and that the location is pretty much a perfect choice, there's still no smoking gun proof that this will ever get off the ground much more than there was on page one.

The severe uphill battle that such a proposal faces to get spades in the ground still exists and hasn't changed. Read what Universal have said again and they couldn't spell it out more clearly with their caution. They're in the extremely early stages of exploration. It's quite easy for a business with such deep pockets to buy land and flog it on, not at a loss as has been suggested, but actually for a profit. In fact, I don't see a single reason why you wouldn't do that. If you find an ideal site and have the means to buy, you snap it up for cheap whilst the legal teams do the due diligence. If it doesn't stack up, you flog it. They've only come out now because they've been caught red handed. People seriously need to calm down to avoid later disappointment.

Regarding "competition", it seems like discussion is being compared to switching broadband providers or buying a car. It's nowhere near as simple as that. Towers and Universal parks operate in quite different markets. They're not in the same league. Where there is competitive overlap, the notion of Merlin "upping their game" is rediclous. There's no way they would suddenly start investing £millions into Towers just to keep up with the Jones's. They'd likely accelerate their current downgrading of Towers to keep costs down and offer a lower priced alternative.

I find it bizzare that the massive cut backs in the wake of the Smiler crash, some of which remain to this day, are frequently excused, yet there's a hope that that'll respond to a possible competitive hit differently? That's a complete contradiction.

Agree on the likelihood and excitement front.

Don’t agree on the investment side for Merlin if this goes ahead. Leisure money is a luxury spend, people will choose how to spend that money carefully.

A universal park has an international audience which means it’s unlikely to add new attractions every year. Merlins only real option would be to add new attractions so that the domestic market is inclined to visit their parks rather than repeat visit the fancy Universal park that hasn’t changed since the previous season.

Asterix is again a case in point, at first it stagnated a bit with Disney but recently they have invested heavily to ensure the domestic market is attracted to the park.

Smiler was a different issue, no one was going to visit the park no matter what they did for the first few seasons, their only option was to control expenditure. The moment they thought the situation has changed they built Wicker Man to attract people back.

Bedford huh? Not a particular fan of the location to be honest.. It's too far from the massively touristic and overpopulated London and too close to what it would be it's main competitor, Alton Towers.
I commute back and forth to London and am not far from the proposed site. It'd be a 1hr from St Pancras on a normal day. Alton on the other hand is a hefty drive from here. I think it's a decent amount of space between the two

This could also finally give Towers a kick up the backside in regards to Scarefest. Halloween Horror Nights is one of most highly rated scare events around, so if this new park had it's own version I wouldn't be surprised if people chose it over Scarefest. That would force Towers to rethink Scarefest big time.

I live about a mile away from the proposed site. It was exceptionally strange to be watching Theme Park Stop's video about the development (I watch their content regularly to keep to up to date with Epic Universe) and to see my house in the aerial view of the proposed site.

This site has been earmarked for development for I'd say the last 10 years. Several projects have been floated and never come to fruition - notably NIRAH - an aquarium on the scale of something like the Eden Project (you can read more about that here).

GBtxH3AXQAEhU2d

Universal will be mainly concerned with the transport infrastructure. Looking at the above map, I imagine the A421 will have to be upgraded (currently, it can be hellish during rush hour traffic).

The Marston Vale line will need significant improvements. The rail stock currently used on it is outdated and the line has frequently been out of action for passenger use. Train frequency in the past has been 1 per hour although there are plans to improve this to every 20 minutes in the future (I don't know why because there isn't current passenger demand to warrant this).

There are also houses along Manor Road. You'll notice a small rectangle of land left of the MANOR ROAD text on the above image that Universal hasn't acquired - this is a row of houses. I know someone who lives in one of these houses, she says attempts have been made for months to buy them out - she's received letters asking to buy her property for a 'development' (no specifics as to what), it was assumed by the locals that it was going to be a housing estate. She's said it's clear the company is desperate for the land, with one neighbour managing to negotiate more than double what their property is worth.

What is great for Universal is a new train station has been planned to be built on the Thameslink line (links directly to London and Luton Airport) close to the point where the line intersects the B530 - this station is to serve a new town (Wixams) that's being built which you can see to the right of this. This station was a selling point to those looking to move to the new town but it's development has been delayed for approximately the last 10 years. Interestingly, it appears that recently Bedford council are getting the wheels in motion in bringing it to fruition and there appears to be a lot more momentum in the project now (coincidence?).

During the last year Bedford council have announced a lot of significant road improvements for the area. Again, this could just be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Universal will be mainly concerned with the transport infrastructure. Looking at the above map, I imagine the A421 will have to be upgraded (currently, it can be hellish during rush hour traffic).
I live about 2 miles away from the site and the only areas that are "hellish" is the A6 roundabout, pretty much next to the land and the Black Cat roundabout, which is now getting considerable investment and work has started. The Marston Vale rail line is small fry compared to the mainline serving 2 airports direct and an international rail station. It's not perfect, but over the next few years it'll be up to the job. You mention Wixams Station, that's probably the main reason why this site has been chosen.

I drive on the A421 daily to work and during rush hour it can be hellish. I can't see it being able to deal with the added demand that a property like Universal would bring. Even M1 Junction 13 (which was upgraded 5 years ago) is an absolute mess and frequently encounters tail backs on adjoining roads.

Incredible news.

I'm not getting my hopes up but this will be great for everyone including merlin. More tourism to the UK is always a good thing and concidering merlin have a high persentage of UK attractions it can only be good for their pockets.

The very fact that there is no meaningful competition is why they could have the response they did. They could accept a period of stagnation without the risk of investment that could have fallen flat and been wasted. This is different, this could lead to actual decline.

It's obviously more complex than choosing a utility provider, but there will always be a collective maximum spend on leisure from the public and you can bet Merlin will be worried. I'm sure some of that can be offset by an increase in general themepark tourism that would leak into Merlin, especially the southern parks, but it would be hard to see this as a possitive for them overall with their current model of marketing led mediocrity.

My biggest concern for our existing parks is how they respond. If it's a drive to actually be better then great. If it is a drive to fight IP with IP by plastering everything existing and new with them it will be a disaster.

My biggest concern for our existing parks is how they respond. If it's a drive to actually be better then great. If it is a drive to fight IP with IP by plastering everything existing and new with them it will be a disaster.

Always comes down to money and a willingness to spend. I don't think they should look to compete with Universal by bringing in IPs - it will never be executed well enough. Let Universal do Universal. Merlin should take a leaf out of Phantasialand's book.

I think the easy answer is to say Merlin just need to spend >insert exorbitant amount of money here< to get the parks up to a desirable standard. I can't imagine they will (I could be wrong).

I think generally they're awful because they build and forget. Nothing is maintained. Most things look dirty or dishevelled. I would forgive the parks for a lot if they were just clean/tidy as a bare minimum.

Surely it wouldn't cost that much more money to ensure future proofing is considered when they're in the design process (ease to clean/maintain) and to put plans in place to maintain rides/areas once they are constructed.