• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Price Gouging at parks (particularly US)

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
I have just come back from the USA and visited many parks. It was my first visit to the States since 2019. It was fairly expensive back then, but since it is quite something to see what is going on in many of the major theme park chains. We managed to save some money overall by buying a season pass, seasoning dining pass and season drinks pass for legacy Cedar Fair parks, as we were visiting six of them. In total, we visited Dorney Park, Hersheypark, Kennywood, Cedar Point, Kings Island, Dollywood, Carowinds, Busch Gardens Williamburg, Kings Dominion and Six Flags Great Adventure. Prices more widely in the USA were not dissimilar to what you pay in the UK - around $5-8 (£4-7) for a pint, $15-20-25 (£12-16) for a waiter-service main meal at a restaurant etc.

Dollywood does not come into this debate, as all prices there were within what you would expect at a theme park. With taxes, a typical good quality table-service lunch was $20 (£16), beers were around $9 (£7) + tip at the hotel and soft drinks in the park around $5 (£4).

At legacy Cedar Fair parks, soft drinks were around $6.50 (£5.20), counter-service meals (which were on the whole good quality as CF invested a lot into this over the past few years) were around $24 (£19). Snacks such as dipping dots ice cream were around $11 (£9). But I could not believe the price for a pint - around $15-17 (£12-14) was typical - plus $1 tip per drink. Thankfully our season dining was good value - and for anybody visiting legacy parks more than 6x per year, this would be a no brainer as it entitled you to two meals per day.

Kennywood, operated by Parques Reunidos was also expensive. Soft drinks were around the $6 mark (£4.80), beers similar to legacy Cedar Fair at $15-18 + tip and fast-food type options such as a sandwich and crisps or burger and chips were around $20 (£16). Quality was mediocre. At Hersheypark, an independent, prices were similar but quality was better.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg, we start to see the p*ss taking come into play. The parks operator, United Parks & Resorts, have maintained a 5% service fee on top of local and state taxes. This meant that where you saw a $10 price, you'd be paying around $11.50. This was on all purchases - food, retail, whatever. Meals did vary. A sausage sampler at the Festhaus, which comprised 3 sausages, sauer kraut, potatoes and sauce, was $20 all in (£16). However, counter service at Trappers Smokehouse was around $29 (£24). For a counter-service meal, this was extremely high. The all-day plan was also not really value for us at it was $68 (£54) once taxes/fees were added on. Beers at Busch were similar to Cedar Fair parks, around $18 all in (£14). I have complained about the 5% service fee and look forward to hearing from the park. Bottles of soft drinks (such as water or coca-cola) were $6 (£4.80).

The biggest affront was Six Flags Great Adventure. Given how tatty and worn the park is, they clearly need the money. Hopefully the merger with Cedar Fair will enable them to improve. But the food was dreadful AND extortionate too. Far worse than Aramark. Dry chicken tenders and chips to take away? $20 (£16). Candy Floss? That will be about $11.50 with taxes. That is over £9 for a candy floss! A medium latte? How does $11 sound? Think about it. Almost £9 for a latte. NINE POUNDS. Add an extra shot of coffee for $3.20 (£2.60)... it's about $1 everywhere else! I walked out. A coke? Try over £8. That is over £6.50 for ONE DRINK. A bag of crisps? $7! That is nearly £6 for a PACKET OF CRISPS. Beers at Six Flags were similar to other parks, around $18 a pint (£14-15). Thankfully, after the merger with Cedar Fair, the 5% service fee was removed across legacy Six Flags parks. The idea of paying even more than the above is incredulous.

Visiting the USA is a pleasure, and the quality of rides cannot be underestimated. But the prices that many of the major park chains now charge is beyond even the high price you would expect in the first place.

Whatever you would expect to pay in a theme park, add at least 50% if you are visiting Six Flags or a United park, add 30% for legacy Cedar Fair or Parques Reunidos. Herschend were much more reasonable. Surely, with this kind of price gouging, guests are going to decreasingly spend money in the parks. It's absolutely crazy.

It is unbelievable. I have attached a couple of menus from Six Flags for you to see (all prices exclude tax, which is around 6% and any tip for the coffee)...

Wow. Just wow.

Attachments

• 455057083_1012108500379841_5974255358540946982_n.jpg
    455057083_1012108500379841_5974255358540946982_n.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 454726358_805451528452383_4336642423024273737_n.jpg
    454726358_805451528452383_4336642423024273737_n.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Its always been discussed that Disney is expensive, but in comparison to those parks, they are cheap.
Just checking a random menu (Mama Melrose) for waited service food inside the theme park https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/dining/hollywood-studios/mama-melrose-ristorante-italiano/menus

Its $8.50 to $10 for draught beer (plus tax and tip) $4.79 for soda and $21 (pizza) to $36 (steak) for main courses, plus tax and tip.

So you could get a pizza to eat in at Disney for a comparable price to fast food at Busch Gardens.

I do think the 5% surcharge thing at Seaworld/Busch is weird. They reprinted the menu to add that text, why not just change all the prices? We had all-day dining at Seaworld with our tickets (it was a better price when buying in the UK compared to getting a two week ticket) and if we didn't then I would have been getting the cheapest but most filling option. Whereas we got smokehouse food and it was just OK, not great and definitly not worth what they were charging.

Quick service smokehouse sandwiches at Disney are $14.79 plus $4.49 for soda (and add tax) https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/dining/epcot/regal-eagle-smokehouse/menus So thats a $3 difference on soda between Disney and Six Flags.

Its always been discussed that Disney is expensive, but in comparison to those parks, they are cheap.
Just checking a random menu (Mama Melrose) for waited service food inside the theme park https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/dining/hollywood-studios/mama-melrose-ristorante-italiano/menus

Its $8.50 to $10 for draught beer (plus tax and tip) $4.79 for soda and $21 (pizza) to $36 (steak) for main courses, plus tax and tip.

So you could get a pizza to eat in at Disney for a comparable price to fast food at Busch Gardens.

I do think the 5% surcharge thing at Seaworld/Busch is weird. They reprinted the menu to add that text, why not just change all the prices? We had all-day dining at Seaworld with our tickets (it was a better price when buying in the UK compared to getting a two week ticket) and if we didn't then I would have been getting the cheapest but most filling option. Whereas we got smokehouse food and it was just OK, not great and definitly not worth what they were charging.

Quick service smokehouse sandwiches at Disney are $14.79 plus $4.49 for soda (and add tax) https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/dining/epcot/regal-eagle-smokehouse/menus So thats a $3 difference on soda between Disney and Six Flags.

I also thought Disney was less expensive than SF/CF. Maybe it's because you get admission to SF/CF for a fraction of getting admission into Disney, so SF/legacy CF are trying to make up the profit by charging such amounts for purchases. I know CF also want you to get the All Day/Season dining option. Legacy Six Flags though no longer offer All Day/Season dining, and the Busch option was the best part of £60.

All Day/Season dining, and the Busch option was the best part of £60.
For September 2022 we paid £141 each for entry and all-day dining for Seaworld Orlando, Busch Tampa and Aquatica. £47 per park including food was pretty cheap really. Same ticket is currently £163 for 2024 from FloridaTix.
But I think the cheap tickets to UK guests is part of their marketing too.

For September 2022 we paid £141 each for entry and all-day dining for Seaworld Orlando, Busch Tampa and Aquatica. £47 per park including food was pretty cheap really. Same ticket is currently £163 for 2024 from FloridaTix.
But I think the cheap tickets to UK guests is part of their marketing too.

I think the UK tickets available for Orlando are very much an outlier vs. the non-Orlando bubble. Outside of Orlando, UK-specific ticketing just isn't a thing as the UK market is next to zero.

I suspect Seaworld, Busch & Aqualtica feel the need to offer compelling pricing in Orlando to lure guests away from Disney & Universal.

I think the UK tickets available for Orlando are very much an outlier vs. the non-Orlando bubble. Outside of Orlando, UK-specific ticketing just isn't a thing as the UK market is next to zero.

I suspect Seaworld, Busch & Aqualtica feel the need to offer compelling pricing in Orlando to lure guests away from Disney & Universal.
and just shows how much they are gouging other customers!

I went to Great Adventure and Hershey last year and noticed this as well. I don't usually eat at theme parks, but I tend to buy smaller stuff like bottled water, ice cream etc and it's more expensive to what you find in Europe. I went to Mirabilandia last week and the bottles were only about £2! That's one of the cheaper examples, but even others don't reach US levels

I didn't have alcohol at any parks I was at, but I'm not paying £12+ for beer, let alone American beer!

It’s not food-related, but one thing that I’ve often noticed is very expensive in American parks compared to British ones is parking fees.

In the UK, £10 is a top-end parking fee for anything other than preferential parking (e.g. Express parking). Even the Merlin parks don’t charge more than £10 to park.

But when we went to Florida last year, Universal was charging $30 to park your car for the day, and it was either about the same or not much less at SeaWorld and Busch. Given that you often won’t have any feasible option but to park in these car parks, I think $30 is pretty steep!

I went to Great Adventure and Hershey last year and noticed this as well. I don't usually eat at theme parks, but I tend to buy smaller stuff like bottled water, ice cream etc and it's more expensive to what you find in Europe. I went to Mirabilandia last week and the bottles were only about £2! That's one of the cheaper examples, but even others don't reach US levels

I didn't have alcohol at any parks I was at, but I'm not paying £12+ for beer, let alone American beer!
To be fair, the beer is excellent. Craft beers are routine. The days of Bud and the likes being the sole force are over.

But typically domestic (non craft) was $15 per US pint and imported or craft was $16 per US pint. All plus taxes and tips.

Parking in US parks is hilariously expensive, and is surprising when you encounter free parking.

Is the tipping culture even prevalent in the parks? I can't remember at all if it was the case but then again we weren't spending time in bars on park since under 21 on those trips.

The beer prices make no sense at all. Bafflingly expensive.

I barely drink at the US parks anymore. There's a nice Western themed bar over by Maverick and Steel Vengeance where you can sit with a pint outside on a rocking chair, would be a great spot if the prices were semi reasonable.

The Thirsty Pony is just outside the main entrance and serves $5 pints and massive portions of wings until 1am 😍

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...62535-Reviews-Thirsty_Pony-Sandusky_Ohio.html

I think you have to be tactical when having a drink at US parks. Many of the craft beers are between 6 and 8%, and often at tap rooms in the UK you will only get two thirds or a half of the stronger beers. So a pint of a stronger US craft brew at a US park is, whilst still expensive, not quite as daunting as it first seems.

United Parks & Resorts can get stuffed with their 5% surcharges though, an absolute farce.

I think you have to be tactical when having a drink at US parks. Many of the craft beers are between 6 and 8%, and often at tap rooms in the UK you will only get two thirds or a half of the stronger beers. So a pint of a stronger US craft brew at a US park is, whilst still expensive, not quite as daunting as it first seems.

United Parks & Resorts can get stuffed with their 5% surcharges though, an absolute farce.
A US pint is a smaller measure though, by about 20%.

UK pint = 568 ml / 20 British Imperial fluid ounces.
US pint = 473 ml / 16 US fluid ounces.
2/3 British pint = 379 ml.

A pint of stronger US craft beer at a US park is as daunting upon second glance, when you realise you're being short changed on the measure conversion.

In Orlando, Uber is probably the way to go ahead of a rental car these days. The parking prices are exorbitant.

Beer at Europa Park and Phantasialand is often cheaper than water. I always got the impression that booze at U.S. parks is expensive, largely as they're more conservative about booze there than anywhere in Europe. 'Craft' ale has definitely altered that perception in the last few decades, so I'm not surprised that is largely what's available at the major parks.

A US pint is a smaller measure though, by about 20%.

UK pint = 568 ml / 20 British Imperial fluid ounces.
US pint = 473 ml / 16 US fluid ounces.
2/3 British pint = 379 ml.

A pint of stronger US craft beer at a US park is as daunting upon second glance, when you realise you're being short changed on the measure conversion.
Aware of this, but at some parks you can get 20 ounce beers. Or if you really want, an absolutely huge can of Corona from Cedar Point!

Busch Gardens Williamsburg literally promote beer constantly on their social media and around the park.

Then you go and it's $18.05 all in.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk