• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Redesigning the Stand-Up Coaster

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
The stand-up coaster. Loved by few, hated by many! :p But can this concept not be improved for future rides? That's what we'd like to discuss here.

mantis_04.jpg

Earlier today Tom asked me about how, if it could be done, would a company go about redesigning the stand-up. This all came about after a few people were discussing the concept in one of the other topics.

So, how what would you do? I'll just throw a few ideas out there quickly that we were talking about and see where that takes us.

Oh, and please keep in mind we haven't really spent much time thinking about all of this so go easy on what we've already talked about below! :p

I'll start off with the ride position. On the old models you have to stand over what people describe as a bike seat, and lower the back of the seat with a standard OTSR down over you; some featuring an extra buckle to attach the OTSR to the seat... thing. :p

This was B&M's answer:
Riddler's_Revenge_train.JPG

Seen as it was probably the best example, we'll ignore the Intamin and Togo variants, shall we? :p

One problem with stand-ups is the seat. It gets in the way and doesn't really help much. They're known to cause pain, so why not just take them out? Or maybe replace them?

Replace them with what?

Well this is where we got onto the angle of the riding position. We want to be as comfortable as possible on coasters, so consider a stand-up with slightly angled seats to rest in. Instead of being completely stood up, you ride along leaning back into the seat slightly which means some of the weight is taken off your legs.

Next is the shape of the seat and what it could be made from. I'm sure most people know about them, or have at least used them at some point. They're materials that change in state when stimulated in some way (i.e heat, stress, light). Well why not consider using them in a roller coaster seat?

Would it not be possible to create a seat back which utilises something like memory foam? Before anyone says, memory foam is a durable material and when it's covered it's a very effective cushion (hence why it was designed and used for use in space). Similar kinds of shape memory materials are used in all sorts of things, from car seats to bike seats too...

DSC03503.jpg

Imagine a seat back which is set in so that you are going along being more or less hugged by the seat. I don't mean as in being sunk deep down into the seat, just enough so that you back is being cupped. Then add in the shape memory material under a few layers of regular foam and a final layer of rubber, and the seat is able to change shape to fit a wide variety of builds but is still durable and waterproof.

Then factor in the angled riding position and you'd effectively be resting into the seat rather than being propped against it, straddling a rather annoying bike seat... thing. :p These seats would allow for a custom fit, rather than the current one size fits all seat.

This could be expensive, but compared to how much coasters cost in general, perhaps it might not be such a crazy idea? Or maybe it is, I don't know. :p

Then we got onto the restraints. Since B&M released their late 80's design for the stand-up, restraints have come along way, with all sorts of different things available to keep riders in-place.

Tom suggested keeping the riders lower leg strapped in with something similar to the clamp things used on flying coasters. Being held in by your leg would keep riders closely against the soft seat backs and less movement may also help. Obviously these clamps may have to have a certain degree of freedom, so the insides could again be lined with a layer of foam-coated rubber or whatever.

Then we have your upper body to keep in-place. Air and Swarm both feature vests, so why not use something similar on a new stand-up design? And instead of the bulky OTSR fitted to the back of the seat with needs the whole thing to be lifted up and down, keep it simple by having just the OTSR being lifted with the mechanism set inside the frame behind the seats.

But the OTSR can't remain the same either, because we loose count of the number of people that complain of headbanging on such rides. So featuring a Swarm style OTSR with wider bars away from the riders head not only means less headbanging but also a more open view. Factor this in with the slight angle of the seats and riders may get a much better view.

But even Swarm's restraints don't please everyone with many complaining about a tightening sensation as the ride progresses. Why not set the OTSR out from the vest to give riders a greater degree of freedom, rather than simply being pinned back? If there's a slightly bigger gap between the vest and the OTSR then the vest can slow and reduce movement without the rider being pressed back further by the OTSR being right against them.

And if that isn't the best solution, Tom also suggested something like an improved version of the restraints featured on Thorpe's Slammer. Some old Schwarzkopf coasters feature similar restraints:

1210c03_161.jpg

Yes, Slammer gets flack for its restraints crushing down, but surely this idea can be improved? I haven't been on any rides with this kind of restraint so I'd quite like to know from others how, if it'd be at all possible, could this method of holding back the rider be improved?

Finally, elements. Tim talked about the riding position being under-utilised on current stand-up coasters. What kinds of elements would you all consider if you were given the task of designing a new stand-up ride?

Once again, please don't rip this post and some of the ideas suggested to shreds. We haven't really spent long talking about all of this, so creative and helpful input would be much appreciated. :p

Just to add on, I literally thought of this a hour or two ago and sent a PM to Al. We have only discussed this over a few PMs so this could (and probably is) filled with flaws. Also as Tim mentioned in the other discussion elsewhere, elements are rather lacking on standing coasters (being copied from sitdown coasters.)

I think then problem with stand-up coasters is that people who have only been on Shockwave think it's a bad example of a good ride type.

It's not. It's a bad example of a bad ride type.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

There is no fix for the stand up coaster. Some things can be made better, some things can't.

Stand ups are inherently awful and there's nothing that can change that.

That Al is pretty much the post I’ve been wanting to make for a while now (just never got around to it) ;)

All of those ideas are good and feasible for coming up with a new design. The memory foam idea isn’t even that farfetched as the vests on Flying Coasters and Wing Coasters are memory foam (just used in a different way).

The leaning back idea is a novel one I hadn’t thought of. I think it would work (it’s the same principle B&M use with their bucket seat design but it would have to be a really small angle (only a couple of degrees) so guests are not leaning too much. If you want the full effect of a stand-up ride you have to be free standing.

Which brings me onto what I mentioned the other day (thanks for the mention ;) ). The advantage Stand-Up rides have over most coasters is that you are far more exposed and further away from the track. Wing Coasters offer a similar sensation but along the other axis, emphasising elements like inline twists. So if you wanted a good Stand-Up coaster you’d want elements which lean (lateral motion). Here’s a few examples I’ve found, some of which appear already on Stand-Up’s (but haven’t been perfected), others don’t:

Inclined Loops -

Update.jpg

S-Bends -

2fp8kkclkkcoaq2gb1g006.jpg

Image from Silver Star

Zero-G-Roll’s -

1v53ihimihj128m0pe0009.jpg

All the twisted elements that Gerstlauer keep coming up with -

nkokclkkchbi1imdk00690.jpg

Please note I am not saying The Smiler should or will be Stand-Up :p

And those are just the ones I came up with off the top of my head.

Interestingly I’ve been tempted for a while now to design the next generation of stand-up restraints and test them on RCT but that project seems to keep ending up on the back burner.

Roger Ramrod said:
I think then problem with stand-up coasters is that people who have only been on Shockwave think it's a bad example of a good ride type.

It's not. It's a bad example of a bad ride type.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

It's a bad example of positioning...the old stiff springed bicycle seat bowl ack crusher...

Tim said:
That Al is pretty much the post I’ve been wanting to make for a while now (just never got around to it) ;)

All of those ideas are good and feasible for coming up with a new design. The memory foam idea isn’t even that farfetched as the vests on Flying Coasters and Wing Coasters are memory foam (just used in a different way).

The leaning back idea is a novel one I hadn’t thought of. I think it would work (it’s the same principle B&M use with their bucket seat design but it would have to be a really small angle (only a couple of degrees) so guests are not leaning too much. If you want the full effect of a stand-up ride you have to be free standing.

Which brings me onto what I mentioned the other day (thanks for the mention ;) ). The advantage Stand-Up rides have over most coasters is that you are far more exposed and further away from the track. Wing Coasters offer a similar sensation but along the other axis, emphasising elements like inline twists. So if you wanted a good Stand-Up coaster you’d want elements which lean (lateral motion). Here’s a few examples I’ve found, some of which appear already on Stand-Up’s (but haven’t been perfected), others don’t:

Inclined Loops -

Update.jpg

S-Bends -

Image from Silver Star

Zero-G-Roll’s -

Interestingly I’ve been tempted for a while now to design the next generation of stand-up restraints and test them on RCT but that project seems to keep ending up on the back burner.

This ride seems to cover most of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60zrnOyBo3U#ws

That's more or less Mantis except it features a final corkscrew instead of more bends.

Re: Re: Redesigning the Stand-Up Coaster

Tim said:

Inclined Loops -

Update.jpg

S-Bends -

Image from Silver Star

Zero-G-Roll’s -

Was hoping for you to comment (being the starting point for my chain of thought) and am glad to see this idea as not being completely a waste of time.

I can see a high-g helix being interesting on a new stand up.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

After the riding The Green Lantern at Six Flags Great adventure I have been forever put off stand-up coasters. The ride had terrible throughput, all because the stupid restraints would barely lock properly. The thing offered no sensation you wouldn't find on a sit down coaster other than excessive below the waist ache; and you come off with a long lasting migraine thus ruining the rest of your visit.

In concept the stand up coaster sounds awesome. But really, they're just a gimmick at the end of the day. Unless they are comfortable, offer decent throughput and have a design that would benefit from standing up ( I find hard to imagine), I see no use for the stand up coaster model.

LewisNavex said:
After the riding The Green Lantern at Six Flags Great adventure I have been forever put off stand-up coasters. The ride had terrible throughput, all because the stupid restraints would barely lock properly. The thing offered no sensation you wouldn't find on a sit down coaster other than excessive below the waist ache; and you come off with a long lasting migraine thus ruining the rest of your visit.

In concept the stand up coaster sounds awesome. But really, they're just a gimmick at the end of the day. Unless they are comfortable, offer decent throughput and have a design that would benefit from standing up ( I find hard to imagine), I see no use for the stand up coaster model.

You have underlined many points that need to be sorted. The restraints, you have pointed out another problem with them. Also the fact that it needs standup coaster elements, not sitdown elements. I haven't put too much thought into this since but it underlines that if this were to be attempted again, thinking would have to be completely out of the box.

In a true stand-up design you need the bike seat to stop people been able to bend their knee's and get out of the restraint. The other issue is i just don't think standing-up adds anything to the experience, is inherently uncomfortable and loading is slow.

Tim said:
Which brings me onto what I mentioned the other day (thanks for the mention ;) ). The advantage Stand-Up rides have over most coasters is that you are far more exposed and further away from the track. Wing Coasters offer a similar sensation but along the other axis, emphasising elements like inline twists. So if you wanted a good Stand-Up coaster you’d want elements which lean (lateral motion).

But the inline twist on Shockwave isn't just a straight copy of the sitdown element with taller trains. It's tailored towards the standup cars and has a larger heartline radius and a slower roll rate. You don't end up with more extreme versions of sitdown elements, what you actually end up with is a pretty watered down ride as the train is less agile and the riding position reduces the forces that can be put on the rider.

Even if the standup coaster could be mastered, I'm not sure that there'd be a market for it today. Stand up coasters are a gimmick that had its day in the late eighties and early nineties. They were briefly the most high tech coasters of their era. However, the invert then came along and made them look a bit ridiculous. I think that the industry has moved on and no one would consider a new one simply because it would be thought of as a dated idea.

That said, with my theoretical, conceptual hat on, I do like the idea of a coaster that could provide an experience similar to wing walking.

wingwalking2.jpg

I think that a coaster based on this concept would focus on large loop type inversions rather than rolls and direction changes.