• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Remembering John Broome

Thameslink Rail

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Hi everyone
Imperial Corporate Capital has just announced the death of John Broome.
He is best known for owning Alton Towers in the 1980s, adding favourites such as the Log Flume, Corkscrew and Grand Canyon (later Congo River Rapids).
Does anyone have any memories of 1980s Alton Towers they would like to share?
Has anyone here met John Broome either during or after his stint at Towers?

From: https://www.facebook.com/100079505948906/posts/pfbid02P52gkmbcP612558a5tBurWtkSt941xZfCFTBnr998AVUghUdA37K1spBznqeKBfTl/

Last edited:
What an icon!
I always thought Nick Sim in Tales from the Towers did an excellent job of chartering his involvement with Alton Towers and visitor attractions.
I always loved his approach of build first, ask for planning permission later 😂.
Don’t think Alton Towers would be quite the iconic place it is without him. RIP

I was outside Battersea Power station on Thursday talking about John Broome's old plan to turn it into a Theme Park. Given the timing this could have been around the time he passed. How eerie.
I never got to experience the Broome era of Towers, but wish I could of. Sorry to hear he's gone.

I was outside Battersea Power station on Thursday talking about John Broome's old plan to turn it into a Theme Park. Given the timing this could have been around the time he passed. How eerie.
I never got to experience the Broome era of Towers, but wish I could of. Sorry to hear he's gone.

You reminded me of this picture that crossed my path recent of the man with a plan.

battersea.jpg

I used to adore going to Alton Towers as a child in the 1980s, every year we would go back and it would get bigger and better every year. I remember my dad organised a coach party for his work colleagues family day out the year the Monorail opened and I was so upset that I didn't get to ride it (as we used the coach parking) that I persuaded him to drive back a few weeks later so I could ride it. Lots of happy memories of riding the log flume and rapids with my family and being terrified when my dad persuaded me to go on the corkscrew. Probably still have a few Henry Hound toys in my parents attic. I owe many happy childhood memories to John Broome!

His son has written a few words and pictures here

It'd be nice to see something from the park. I suspect it's too late for a post on social media, but a plaque or something should definitely happen!