• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Restraint types

Towerslover

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Icon
Hi everyone, would just like to know opinions on different restraint styles and what people feel most comfortable or safe in.

I prefer otsr restraints, and I really like the vest style ones as found on air. Personally not a big fan of lap bars and I would feel very unsure about riding a coaster with an inversion with those lap bar style ones such as the ones on helix and g-force. Has anyone tried these? And what were they like?

(Apologies if a thread like this already exists!) :)

Best restraints going are Mack mega and B&M hyper. Definitely the most comfortable - massively better than OTSR's both from a freedom point of view and a comfort point of view (no possibility for headbanging, even on rough coasters!)

Not really. That topic is about how tight you prefer to have the restraints, whereas this is about what style of restraint you prefer.

Personally, I like most of towers restraints apart from rita's and smiler's. Haven't been to enough parks to judge types of restraint, but I think tower's are more or less right. Nemesis and oblivion are standard b&m OTSR's, airs are comfy (not going to comment on galactica, the tent over the front of the restraint makes it much more restricting), th13teens are probably the best just because they're lap bars.

My favourites are the over the shoulder lap bar restraints you see on the likes of Blue Fire and Helix for example. I don't mind traditional OTSRs, and an unpopular opinion of mine is that I don't mind those you see on Rita and Stealth. They are flawed though, like for example they feel heavy and the ones they use on Atmosfear at Liseberg as it makes the drop a bit too gentle for my liking.

I must be honest though I don't really like the OTSRs on Nemesis and other B&M inverts (bar Banshee) as I've always found sitting in the middle seats doesn't give you much arm room. Same with Smiler's as well. It's fine on the outsides though. And the other coasters at Towers I have no issues with the restraints (Air's/Galactica's FTW).

Thankfully there's none at Towers, but lap bar restraints that also have seatbelts can go do one.

Last edited:
The new Intamin lapbar restraints on Taron at Phantasialand are great. Definitely my favourite out of what I've riden so far.
Haven't been on a Mack Mega/Launch Coaster yet but most seem to believe the Taron restraints are Intamins take on the Mack lapbars.

I've moved this thread to Rest of the World Parks and Attractions which seems a more suitable location!

Anyway, the new style lapbars found on Mack's and Taron are by far the best restraints I have experienced. They are comfortable and hold you in place securely yet give you total freedom to experience the ride.

B&M's hyper coaster restraints are also very good.

:)

The new Intamin lapbar restraints on Taron at Phantasialand are great. Definitely my favourite out of what I've riden so far.

Seconded.

I've done 2 Mack ones now (Blue Fire and Lost Gravity). I completely understand why so many people like them, but for me I find that they are a little too 'formed', to the point they feel a little too secure. This can also make them very uncomfortable on the upper thigh if you get an over-enthusiastic host staple you in.

It's a similar situation to what someone (can't remember who now... Astro?) said about Lost Gravity. It's a bit too controlled and guided. It doesn't quite have that edgy thrill you get from a Gerst coaster.

Intamin's new offering on the other hand, feels much lighter and minimal, which I think really helps you get the punch out the airtime moments. I'd love to see if they could put these on an inverting ride, and I think it could really add something... It's probably also helped by the lack of a deep 'bucket' seat. You feel very exposed to the elements.

In terms of OTSRs I was really impressed with Vekoma's new vest restraints. Very well done. The fact they don't lock the vest in place means you can still get some of the freedom which you wouldn't with a solid OTSR.

I also think the Mondial ones used on Samurai are nice. Being taller I find they are able to lock without pressing down on your shoulders, something I get with Gerst and B&Ms (Anyone who saw me on Anubis or Mamba the other week can testify!)

Worst ones are easily the lousy Vekoma efforts used on the SLCs with the massive earpads, followed very closely by Intamin's neck bands used on Rita and Stealth.

The lab bars on Megafobia were good, meant I could have it nice and loose without being too loose (if that makes any sense to anyone).

Intamin's new offering on the other hand, feels much lighter and minimal, which I think really helps you get the punch out the airtime moments. I'd love to see if they could put these on an inverting ride, and I think it could really add something... It's probably also helped by the lack of a deep 'bucket' seat. You feel very exposed to the elements.

I agree that it would be interesting to see if Intamin were able to utilise these new restraints on an inverting ride. However I would be slightly concnerned about the lack of support if say a snappy zero-g roll was included, this is where I feel Mack do come out on top. I'm sure they could modify the seats if they felt it was needed though and it is something I would love to see; I've not ridden Maverick or iSpeed but I'd be interested to hear from those who have whether they feel the new Intamin restraints would improve the ride experience.

:)