• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

RMC recalls parts causing closure of two coasters

MattyH

TS Member
Favourite Ride
GIIBBB
Due to a train fault, it appears that all RMC coasters have been ordered to close!

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Lightning-Rod-coaster-closed-at-Dollywood--383532731.html

The opening of Dollywood's new roller coaster was short lived.

The park announced Saturday it was closed as part of a recall.

Dollywood posted this message on their website Saturday:

Lightning Rod is closed today. Rocky Mountain Construction ordered all of its roller coasters closed until further notice as a recalled mechanical part is replaced. Please watch for updates.

Kolmarden have released the following statement about Wildfire:

"Wildfire will not open today due to technical problems.
Producers have drawn attention to a risk of a manufacturing defect on a part that's sitting in the trains.
We haven't discovered something wrong with our train, but for us it is a matter of course to follow the instructions from the producers of the track. We are so sorry for those who looked forward to go wildfire today and next few days and working very hard to as quickly as possible to get the track, however, we expect that it will take at least 3-5 day"

Some places are saying all RMC coasters but Twisted Colossus was operating last night and Kentucky Kingdom claim to have been told by RMC that Storm Chaser is not included in this.

I believe The Joker as Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has been having a fair amount of issues so this may be where the problem arises from.

:)

I've seen that it's only the new coasters that have RMC's new in-house hydraulic restraints that opened this year, Storm Chaser being the exception because it has the old trains and restraints

Well that's worrying. I mean, good that they've caught it before anything happened, and they've absolutely made the right call... But still worrying.

Purely speculation and extrapolation from what I've seen on other forums, but the failure means the restraints stay locked and have to be manually opened, but then they don't register as locked on the next cycle.

As I say, that's all speculation and could be the exact opposite of the truth.

Bit concerning, still looking forward to it, unlike the restraints on Steeplechase combined with its brakes on a rainy day (ended up sitting back, bracing and it didn't stop until it had reached the train in front, bumped it and I ended up getting winded, as well as someone sat behind someone getting a bloody nose, the ride ops - "It's coming in too fast, we should close it" "C'mon, it'll be alright" that was painful, and this is coming from someone that called Grand National smooth.. If it wasn't for the belt I'd be off the horse. Hopefully the problems aren't too major to close it til August though (Probably won't, but DBGT has stopped me being optimistic.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've edited the title of this thread accordingly seeing is the issue is only affecting two coasters and not all RMCs. A Theme Park Insider reader has given a good explanation of the issue:
Theme Park Insider said:
"The problem is due to a hydraulic cylinder used in the restraint system on RMC's trains. This year, RMC switched to a new cylinder design on some of their rides, particularly the wooden coaster installations. Today, a manufacturing defect was discovered in one of the cylinders on Lightning Rod (I believe), and as a result RMC has recalled these cylinders and ordered the attractions using them to cease operation until replacements can be made. It is expected to take 3-5 days for RMC to ship new parts to the parks, so the affected rides may be up and running by next weekend if all goes well."

:)