• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags considering buyout of Sea World and Busch Gardens parks

CGM

TS Member
(Reuters) - SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, which is exploring a sale, has attracted early buyout interest from private equity firm Apollo Global Management LLC (APO.N) and amusement park operator Six Flags Entertainment Corp (SIX.N), according to three people familiar with the matter.

Orlando, Florida-based SeaWorld, controlled by private equity firm Blackstone Group LP (BX.N), filed for an initial public offering in December but is also in talks with potential buyers in what is known as a "dual track" process, Reuters reported previously.

Apollo, which got into the resort and leisure business with its $262 million acquisition of Great Wolf Resorts in 2012, and Six Flags, the largest regional theme park operator in the world, are among several potentially interested parties, according to the sources.

The process is largely limited to a small group of industry players that have experience in the sector, one source said.

A deal could value SeaWorld, known for its killer whale mascot Shamu, at about $4 billion, based on the financials of its publicly listed peers, such as Six Flags and Cedar Fair LP (FUN.N).

Blackstone acquired SeaWorld from beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev SA (ABI.BR) for $2.3 billion in December 2009, according to Blackstone's website.

Blackstone and Apollo declined to comment, while Six Flags was not immediately available. The sources asked not to be named because the process is not public.

A public offering for SeaWorld remained the more likely route since it would come at a time when shares for amusement park operators are trading at healthy levels, one source said.

Established operators in the U.S. theme park industry host about 315 million visitors per year and have proven resilient in a weak economy as parents still turn to them for family vacations.

SeaWorld owns 11 theme parks, including those with the SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Sesame Place brands, and cares for more than 67,000 animals.

(Reporting by Soyoung Kim and Olivia Oran in New York; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
Link to article

Potentially disastrous news for fans of Sea World or the Busch parks. I really hope it doesn't happen and if it does, I hope that Six Flags don't run these parks like they run their current ones. The thought of Six Flags Williamsburg and Six Flags Tampa Bay makes me shudder.

ub1sx.gif

Yeah, Six Fags are pretty terrible. Nearly everything about their parks is rubbish, but they build some damn good coasters. Being at Magic Mountain was like being a kid in a candy shop, and Iron Rattler and Texas Giant look too awesome for words.

And Busch/SeaWorld aren't really as good as everyone makes out. I mean, they're hardly up there with Universal and Disney. Cheetah Hunt? Mach Tower? Replacing Big Bad Wolf with Verbolten? Eek. Also, I hear SeaWorld's throughputs and operations are appalling. Maybe there's a small chance this could be a good thing - combining Busch's theme park craftsmanship with Six Flags' knack of throwing money at awesome thrill coasters?

If Busch are allowed to keep enough independence but someone from Six Flags is the one with the order book, ringing up the manufacturers, maybe it could be a perfect match...?