• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Smoking etiquette

Having many DSAs works well at Chessington, and when there I will gladly use them. The park is more child friendly than Towers, which caters for a wider age range, so there are more kids about.

Secondly, you are rarely more than 30 seconds walk from a smoking area. But at Towers, you can often be up to ten minutes away from one. Asking your whole group to make a ten minute detour, wait five minutes while you have a fag, then walk another ten minutes to the next ride is stupid. So at towers I will smoke while walking Between areas. If I'm waiting at a ride exit, there is usually a DSA nearby, so I'll use it. But in a park the size of Alton banning smoking everywhere just isn't going to happen.

I dislike smoking, but I kinda understand why people like it, having both parents smoking. In the past month, my mum snd dad both stopped. My mum found it easy, where as with my dad, I'd prefer him smoking, because he got so grumpy! My mums been off for 2 months now, and my dad has cut down.
I'd say my mum was a considerate smoker, smoking only in the back garden, and away from everyone else. My dad wasnt- if he needed one, he'd have one, which really bugged me.
But what annoys me more was the kids at school, some even in my year, year 8, smoking directly outside tbe school gate, in everyones face. It just disgusts me, first of all being so young, so inconsiderate, and the teachers doing nothing about it.

Okay guys... I was just idly looking at my 2013 Towers park map when I spotted something on the back:

"Smoking and the use of e-cigarettes is only permitted in designated areas of the Resort. Look out for the S symbol on the Resort map"

What's that all about?? I'm actually quite annoyed with this! I'm an ex-smoker and I can't abide the smell of cigarettes being smoked, yet I have absolutely no issue with e-cigarettes. If someone is courteous enough to smoke something that doesn't pollute the air and is ultimately helping them kick the smoking habit, who's to say they're not allowed??

I have a colleague who smokes an e-cigarette in the office; why ever can't people smoke them outdoors??

I know it might be wrong, but it's private land at the end of the day so they can do what ever they like. The only reason why I think they say this is so if staff spot someone smoking it's a outright ban and people can't pretend a real cigarette is a e-cigarette?

Sazzle said:
Okay guys... I was just idly looking at my 2013 Towers park map when I spotted something on the back:

"Smoking and the use of e-cigarettes is only permitted in designated areas of the Resort. Look out for the S symbol on the Resort map"

What's that all about?? I'm actually quite annoyed with this! I'm an ex-smoker and I can't abide the smell of cigarettes being smoked, yet I have absolutely no issue with e-cigarettes. If someone is courteous enough to smoke something that doesn't pollute the air and is ultimately helping them kick the smoking habit, who's to say they're not allowed??

I have a colleague who smokes an e-cigarette in the office; why ever can't people smoke them outdoors??

I think it might come down to them wanting to avoid any situations with people spotting someone puffing an e-cig and thinking it's a real fag, so they think they can smoke there too and it cascades down from there?

Dar said:
Sazzle said:

I think it might come down to them wanting to avoid any situations with people spotting someone puffing an e-cig and thinking it's a real fag, so they think they can smoke there too and it cascades down from there?

They seem to have a similar policy in Weatherspoon pubs (I'm not sure if it's all of them, but certainly the 2 nearest to me). When I asked the manager why I'd been told to stop, he said it was because the staff couldn't tell if it was an e-cigarette or a real one.

Now, I understand that certain e-cigarettes can look similar to real cigarettes, but the one I had was black with a flashing blue and green light on the end. You'd sooner assume I was trying to swallow a set of LED's that smoke a real ciggy ::)

It felt like the management had just assumed the staff were all stupid, and incapable of using their judgment. All other pubs in the area don't have any issues. I really hope Towers aren't labelling all of their visitors stupid...

They can't even make sure people smoking regular cigarettes aren't doing so outside of the Smoking Zones, or even people smoking weed while they walk around the park and not even attempting to cover it up. On Sunday I went past a kid that must have been about 12 or 13 walking along to The Smiler whilst smoking a cigarette. I have no problem with the e-cigarette, but if Alton Towers want to pick on people using them, I think they should first sort out those who are actually doing something wrong.

This just makes me want to get an E-cig (even though I'm not a fan of them) just to constantly chain it wherever I go throughout the park. What are they going to do? As long as you politely point out that it LEGALLY IS NOT SMOKING, and don't at any stage say anything that could be taken as a threat to the poor staff member who has to enforce this stupid rule, I doubt they will do squat.
Even Alton's jobsworth security gorrillas have better things to do.

They have the same powers as they do if you were smoking conventionally. Smoking conventional cigarettes in queuelines isn't illegal, it's just against park policy.