• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Splash Landings Billboard

Excalibur

TS Member
Very random…

But I remember quite a few times when I first started visiting Alton and getting the monorail along the journey there used to be a Splash Landings Billboard advertising, well Splash Landings.

Does anyone else remember this? I have tried to find photos but had no luck.

Tell me I’m not going Insane!

Splash Landings opened in 2003, while there probably was a billboard on the construction fence, phone cameras weren't a thing back then so fewer photos were taken and its unlikely you will find much from the construction.

However TowersTimes has a photo of this sign which was near the monorail https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/newhotel20-500x345.jpg as part of their construction photos https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/construction-archive/splash-landings-and-cariba-creek-photos/

I know the billboard you mean. It was on the embankment by the exit gates next to Air and had a flume that burst out of the side of the main billboard?

I'm almost certain there is a photo of it knocking around somewhere online. If it's not on TowersTimes, then maybe TowersAlmanac. Perhaps try checking either site's closed season galleries.

Scratch my above suggestions as to where to look. It was on our site all along. Of course it was - you don't become the premier Alton Towers guide without covering the resort billboards of the early 2000s

Is this the one you're thinking of, @Excalibur?
24317680112_a4451539fb_c.jpg

That’s the one! One of my first memories from visiting the park!

Any idea why this was removed? It was on a prime location for advertising and not very intrusive.

I hate it when random things such as this pop into my head when I really should be focusing on something more important.

I'll be in the midde of writing a report for work and suddenly my brain will just flash up a memory of something obscure like Crux for instance, then i'm down that rabbit hole for half an hour.

I'll be in the midde of writing a report for work and suddenly my brain will just flash up a memory of something obscure like Crux for instance, then i'm down that rabbit hole for half an hour.
If you like Crux, then you'd love Starchaser!

That’s the one! One of my first memories from visiting the park!

Any idea why this was removed? It was on a prime location for advertising and not very intrusive.
I suspect the particular billboard we are talking about was removed because it was falling apart. I think even in the image above the billboard had already been repaired as the man on the rubber ring looks out of context.

But it is a good spot for advertising tbh, even more so now that it's next to the Resort entrance.