• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sunday 20th October

James said:
It brings up a whole load of arguments about discrimination. While I would happily see gypsies banned from the park it will never happen. Even though Alton in their every right can ban them.

Alton can't, because banning an ethnic group from a business of service would be against about a hundred different UK and EU laws. ::)

Perhaps this was just my own experience, but for this year at least, the problem wasn't nearly as big as some of us are perhaps implying.

I'm not defending these people by any stretch of the imagination, I don't claim to understand their aggressive mannerisms, minimalistic clothing or ritualistic promiscuity - in fact I'm not REALLY sure I entirely see the point of the travellers event as so many of them DO seem to use it as an excuse to hang around and make a nuisance of themselves - but any group standing around doing that CAN appear intimidating to an outsider - I'm sure our own group did at some point on Sunday.

I can't fault Towers on their preparation - half of the Staffordshire Moorlands policeforce seemed to be on park, there were metal detectors and thorough security screening in order to get into the park, but this was no hassle for the majority of guests. The atmosphere was perhaps notably different after dark, but I didn't see any trouble - the worst that happened was one or two people walked into me without apologising - to be honest, aside from the chaos during THAT shower, I have more people hassle on an average day at Thorpe than I did yesterday. I DO know that 2011 was a very different story as I was unlucky enough to experience it, but yesterday was a very peaceful affair - perhaps pick another weekend if you have a choice, but I think we exaggerate the impact these people actually had and we've made it sound worse than was in fact the case. Sure, be more careful if you visit on the first Sunday of Scarefest and expect a security presence - but certainly don't be put off visiting that day. I think Islander put it best.

Towers were extremely well prepared yesterday, I can only praise them for that. There was a large security and police presence on park which in my opinion did help, the whole park felt a lot safer than in previous years.

:)

Completely agree. The park clearly planned ahead and did everything they could to prevent any major issues.

Towers seemed to have had everything under control yesterday but they aren't half cringe worthy people

Makes me laugh reading about the hotel policy..... we saw travellers actually staying IN the hotel Saturday night and in the Secret Garden for breakfast the next morning!

GaryH said:
Makes me laugh reading about the hotel policy..... we saw travellers actually staying IN the hotel Saturday night and in the Secret Garden for breakfast the next morning!

Again they can't ban them from making a booking, they just don't want huge numbers arriving for the bar.

To be fair Towers really where on top of everything this year, it wasn't nearly as intimidating as last year.

^
And if they've paid to (which I admit surprises me), then why shouldn't they? Let's face it, Merlin are about the last people who are going to refuse anyone offering them money/business without good reason. They probably just wanted to make sure they didn't have a major crowd or atmosphere problem in there after the downpour, and I'd imagine a lot of people tried using the hotels for shelter.