• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TEA Attendance Report - 2015

Universal (and other movie studio parks) were created as IP based parks. The report isn't saying that IP's don't work but the figures show that many European parks have had big success adding non IP based attractions showing can still gain big attendance rises without need of an IP.

Universal though relies on IP's as the nature of their parks. Interestingly while originally universal owned most of the Ip's the attractions were based on, now a lot are licensed from other company's such as-Harry Potter, Seuss, Marvel, Toon lagoon characters, Simpsons, transformers, Men in Black, Shrek and terminator.

Although the UK's most dominant Theme Park (Legoland) is entirely based on an IP.

Indeed, although Lego is more along the Disney lines in that it wouldn't exist in the first place if it wasn't for the IP. Also, its 'dominance' is surely to be short lived, given that in a typical year, Alton Towers would have vastly more guests than it.

In fact, the mind boggles how Legoland Windsor copes with the guests it does.

Indeed, although Lego is more along the Disney lines in that it wouldn't exist in the first place if it wasn't for the IP. Also, its 'dominance' is surely to be short lived, given that in a typical year, Alton Towers would have vastly more guests than it.

In fact, the mind boggles how Legoland Windsor copes with the guests it does.
I was beaten to it but I was also going to say it doesn't. Legoland's a perfect case of a park that lives on it's IP. In terms of what's on offer its only on par with Chessington and Paultons, yet the brand is so strong it massively out ranks both of them.

As for the dominance statement I thought I noted it was due to Altons failings? Apparently not, my mistake.

Legoland, like Disney, could install large polished piles of excrement and still get the guests in.

Merlin have said that the figures for their parks are estimates and not confirmed. Not surprising, the estimate for Towers is probably a generous one.

:)
The statistic is for the whole of 2015 however, and Alton Towers was having a pretty busy season until the incident. So the actual drop is far more severe than 25% for the second part of the season, but compensated somewhat by the first part of the season before the incident (Easter half term is a mega peak time, almost up there with Scarefest).

However, I also agree 25% may be too generous, I think it was at least a little bit worse. The TEA report has always be an educated guesstimate for nearly all the parks included, so is highly inaccurate, but it always gets a lot of attention as it's the best we have to go by.

Last edited: